The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Nick James said:

It's that what made me think about how the Fulham fans felt, you can imagine with how much effort and energy he puts in to AEW, the Fulham side would suffer, but I wasn't sure how much involvement he had these days.

EDIT: Had a look on the Fulham hashtag on twitter and came across this belter of an exchange.

Screenshot_20210618-181834_Twitter.jpg

If they had any sense, Anthony Ogogo will come out on Dynamite draped in that. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

I suspect a lot of people will have hated that MMA fight but I had a lot of fun with it. A nice change of pace and scenery, I thought they performed it brilliantly. Just daft enough to make it entertaining, but played straight enough to where it never felt stupid.

My only minor complaint is Wardlow losing. I know it won’t matter in the end, and I’m almost happy for Hager to continue having what is undoubtedly the best run of his career, but man. There were a couple of, “knock out,” shots in there where if Jake had stayed down Wardlow would’ve looked even more Top Bollocks than he already does. Fair play to them, though. It seemed like the feud was going in reverse when they did Blood and Guts and Stadium Stampede before they split off into individual matches but so far so good. I’m really invested in seeing all the different combinations. God bless Jericho though. He’ll almost certainly think the big one is Jericho vs. MJF, when in reality Sammy getting the big match is where the money is.

How much money must it have cost to build a proper MMA cage though?! AEW continues to be the maddest thing ever. An Observer subscriber with unlimited cash doing whatever the fuck he wants. 

16 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I suspect a lot of people will have hated that MMA fight but I had a lot of fun with it. A nice change of pace and scenery, I thought they performed it brilliantly. Just daft enough to make it entertaining, but played straight enough to where it never felt stupid.

I suppose it’s worth saying that I’ve never seen an actual MMA fight, but that was honestly one of my favourite matches of the year. Wardlow and Hager have a surprising amount of chemistry and I could watch them beat lumps out of one another all day long. I’m definitely on board for the rubber match.

I don’t think they should repeat the MMA concept any time soon, but as a one-off it was tremendous fun.

It was a solid show, although I’m a little disappointed that they appear to be keeping the Vickie/Andrade partnership alive. I’m hoping the surprise they teased is that either Zelina Vega will be representing him on Vickie’s behalf. Since AEW likes nepotism, I could see it being someone like Shaul Guerrero instead, but honestly, I’d be perfectly fine with that. Anything to break up the mismatch Andrade has found himself in.

Edited by RedRooster

The UWFi match was good fun imo, for the most part it looked pretty damn convincing and Wardlow still came out as a boss even with the loss.
Brock Anderson should be nowhere near TV right now, he had some of the basics down ok but looked lost out there and get him some trunks that actually fit, please. He's the anti Ogogo.

• Paid Members

I'm sure Cody will make him look like a million dollars when Brock betrays him and turns heel. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Wardlow losing didn't damage him at all, the whole angle said more for him than Hagar, and The Cody match where Cody and his partner faced Cody's opponent 1 & 2, with Cody's partner getting the pin shows how utterly horrible Cody is, he's killing the business. 

It was a really good taped show. Julia Hart and Penelope Ford had a shockingly serviceable match. 

Edited by Chili
Spelling.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Wardlow looking reluctant to get in on the beat down until Jericho got involved was a nice touch. 

Yeah, little details like that are something AEW does really well. Wardlow going to bump fists with Hager out of respect before Shawn Spears jumped him was a great little touch and something subtle that plants the seeds for a future Wardlow babyface turn.

Oddly, I've never watched MMA but seen a fair bit of Japanese "shoot style", and using that as a comparison point I thought the Cage fight was piss weak. Despite doing the real thing, Hager just doesn't have the physical intensity to pull it off and Wardlow's striking was shockingly poor, even by worked pro-wrestling standards. I wouldn't discourage this sort of thing though, it's cool to try out different styles and the overall presentation was really solid. It just lacked any real oomph until MJF ran out. Who would have thought though, Dean Malenko and Ted Dibiase taking flat backs in the same week.  

I really like the Varsity Blondes. The gimmick is bang on and they really pop off the screen. Happy, likable underdog team that will one day make for a fantastic obnoxious heel group, I'm sure. The Miro angle was good simple stuff.

They should probably do more with Penelope Ford. I thought the pairing with Kip Sabian running outside interference had potential to it.

Darby Allin is really fucking special.

I love Vickie, but yeah. Time to pull back a bit. Early days but they're whiffing Britt's title run so far. Too much mid card silliness.

Speaking of which, Kenny Omega just isn't it is he. It's good that Miro's stepped up because Kenny's dragging the world title further and further down the card.

The FTR/Santana Ortiz package was bloody awesome. Such a great dynamic. The Andrade interview was well done too. Just solid, star-making stuff. The surprise HAS to be Thea Trinidad, surely?

30 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I've found the Belt Collector stuff quite disappointing overall. Not sure why but its felt pretty underwhelming for me.

I often forget that’s a thing, they rarely reference it in AEW. I can see why you feel the way that you feel. 

To be honest, I feel that way about Omega’s whole title run. He doesn’t feel like a centrepiece act in the way that both Jericho and Moxley did.

What’s the general opinion on Cargill and Sterling so far? It’s early days obviously, but it just isn’t working for me. Jade definitely needs a mouthpiece,  but I’m not sure they’ve linked her up with the right one. 

The Belt Collector gimmick was good for some column inches early doors, but it doesn't feel like they have/had an end game.

Really enjoyed Hager vs Wardlow. Good start, middling middle, great finish. I love that the hype video pushed Wardlow as AEW's cage guy. That'll be a good hook for the future if they keep that. Wardlow winning in a wrestling match, then Hager winning a cage fight, so surely the rubber is a wrestling cage match. Shout out to ringside assistance breaking hearts worldwide by getting to check out Wardlow head to toe.

I'm no fan of Chuckie T but his distraction of Ryan Nemeth in OC vs Bononi was absolutely world class. I've only seen them properly the last two weeks but I'm sold on the Wingmen as the comedy low card heel act. A perfect parody of toxic masculinity and PUAs. Avalon cradling the fallen Bononi in his arms crying to the heavens was hilarious.

One thing I like about the prerecorded Dynamites is more pretaped promos. There were loads of them here and they were all good, getting everyone over.

Brock Anderson. That's not the look or performance of someone who really wants to wrestle. Nothing to him. The burial of QT and the Factory continues. I'm sure Arn was very proud, but would he have been just as proud if Brock won on Dark or Elevation? 

Kaz spouting religious promos, and now busting out the Angel's Wings surely signposts a Daniels angle. Either he comes back alongside Kaz doing his dour TNA Fallen Angel thing one last time (they'll probably say SCU has to split, but they aren't SCU, fnar fnar) or he comes back to feud with Kaz, blaming him for taking his career away from him.

God's favourite. Miro is so good. Such an aura, so terrifying just hearing his voice gives shivers. Great continuity between him and the Superbads, and him vs the greatest tag team of the 90s should be done great classic bouts.

I see Matt Jackson discovered HBK vs Hogan two weeks ago. Poor Eddie Kingston. The realest guy on the roster and he still has to sell for Matt's overstaged comedy shit. You just want him to stand up and clump the guy. Forget that you're friends backstage and go full Mad King. Good main, if typically overlong (Elite gonna Elite). 

When did Kazarian downgrade from main event pants to midcard tights? They looked fucking shit. 
I, like you @CavemanLynn, want to see Matt Jackson get punched in the face, and not in the “ooh, that bad guy, I hope he gets what’s coming to him” pro wrestling way. I don’t even care who does it, just somebody please cave in his face.

Incredible how Miro has turned it around  in such a short time, it’s as if that first year never happened. I’m looking forward to his match with Pillman Jr

Edited by WyattSheepMask