The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

That show warmed my soul.

Agree with @tiger_rick that it wasn't right to do the full court press on building this up as Jungle Boy's big chance, because he was losing and you don't want to Luger him and paint him as a failed babyface. This was about getting people wanting him to succeed, and galvanising him to make him hot enough to beat Miro at All Out.

One thing I love about AEW is that they still have the concept of audience faith in the promotional hierarchy that WWE doesn't - the audience wants to see the journey, and the rise and increased relevance as people get closer to the top is part of supporting guys on the rise. Its nice, I've missed that in wrestling. In WWE, it feels fake any time they try now because there is no faith that it matters, like the recent Cesaro deal. Did anybody really give a shit to the level of this? Didn't feel like it.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

17 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

One thing I love about AEW is that they still have the concept of audience faith in the promotional hierarchy that WWE doesn't - the audience wants to see the journey, and the rise and increased relevance as people get closer to the top is part of supporting guys on the rise. Its nice, I've missed that in wrestling. In WWE, it feels fake any time they try now because there is no faith thay it matters, like the recent Cesaro deal. Did anybody really give a shit to the level of this? Didn't feel like it.

It's absolutely one of my favourite things about wrestling. Thinking about all of my top guys over the years - Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, HHH, Austin, The Rock etc. So many started out as tag guys or lower card singles and then moved into the IC picture and then grafted to gain support and then into the main event scene. And some of those feuds would carry on from the lower ranks to the top of the card and they'd earned all that fan adulation over years. And it'd make everything mean so much more because there had been this natural journey that you'd been taken on alongside these guys. You were able to go along for the ride and it felt like the success was earned.

There's often this idea that a lot of fans don't have the patience for long term pay offs these days but I really don't think that's the case. And it's not exclusive to wrestling. Any TV shows or movies that build things over time just need to deliver it in a quality manner that keeps audiences invested. Simple really. From your Breaking Bads and your MCU Endgame stuff and plenty of other examples - stories don't have to be rushed and good wrestling is no different.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

More Matt than Mike. The Andrade bit was basically a bit on the classic two wrestlers bump into each other in the aisle angle. Vickie and Andrade come out, unplanned, so the show just carries on. Sydal cuts them off, Andrade's first match. Not his first feud. But Sydal will be like his debut. 

Just a set-up for a singles match. Andrade won't have a partner. Have you seen Mike Sydal. Bottom of the roster. 

I’m possibly just paranoid on the back of Miro’s debut, where they paired him up with Sabian. My fear is that they’re stalling until the first round of WWE releases are available, and Andrade’s surprise is Kalisto. Very few acts in AEW are solo acts - they either have a partner, or are in a stable, and that makes Andrade a bit of an outlier.

Given that he keeps referencing his desire to win championships, and that all championships are held by heels right now, I could see a scenario where he debuts two partners and goes after a newly former trios title in time for the launch of Rampage. And it’ll be those two wrestlers, not Andrade, who end up wrestling the Sydals, as he sits back and takes an almost godfather type role. 

I may be wrong, and it may be someone like Vega, but I think that might be wishful thinking on my part. They didn’t really need to go through a route involving Vickie to get him up a pairing with Vega, and heck, they may even want to save Vega (if they do sign her) to manage Black/Tommy End.

1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

That show warmed my soul.
@tiger_rick

This summed up my feelings perfectly. 

Would have loved to stay up to watch live but I was far too tired after a day trip with my niece to London but it was such a nice feeling to wake up this morning and be excited to watch it, and I thoroughly enjoyed every part of the show and am looking forward to the next few shows based on the promotion they have given them. We'll done AEW! 

2 minutes ago, Meej81 said:

Is there any news on if / where AEW Rampage will be shown in the uk when it starts in august? Will it be on ITV4 like Dynamite. I love ITV4 it’s my favourite channel. 

I haven't seen anything announced yet but ITV are shit with AEW so I hope it's not them.

• Paid Members

For as much as the belt collector thing hasn’t really gone anywhere and everything Kenny does outside of AEW mostly seems to exist in a separate  universe, I love him coming out draped in gold. He looks like a huge superstar. It remains insane that this is the same guy who was going 50/50 with jobbers a year ago.

Best thing on what was a brilliant episode was Don Callis and Big Tone bickering. Those two are in for a shout for low-key feud of the year.

"Happy to join this great two and a half man booth. No offense, Schiavone."

"None taken, Don. And go to hell."

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Supremo said:

For as much as the belt collector thing hasn’t really gone anywhere and everything Kenny does outside of AEW mostly seems to exist in a separate  universe, I love him coming out draped in gold. He looks like a huge superstar. It remains insane that this is the same guy who was going 50/50 with jobbers a year ago.

They talked about how long it's been since he lost as well, which made him feel like a bigger deal for me. They're a few months off two years since he had a singles loss - I'm hoping they hit that before he loses, as it's the kind of thing that makes him feel bigger. 

And then, obviously, Hangman Adam Page kicks out of the One Winged Angel and pins him.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

And then, obviously, Hangman Adam Page kicks out of the One Winged Angel and pins him.

Ok, I went off on a flight of fancy about this recently and as soon as Hangman says 'I want the shot' I am locked in for this shit. 

For me, All Out should be the Super Elite's big 'empire falls apart' finale. They have too many chickens coming home to roost and either they'll all be picked off before All Out. Or the main event will have a massive dog and pony show with The Elite being blocked off by Dark Order and whoever. Fuck it, have Kaz stalking around the crowd all night like a hitman to take out the Good Brothers. Basically a million run ins without actually physically interfering. I know people don't like the slight nWo booking of Kenny's lot, but honestly I'd have them still strong going in, just to make the fall so more satisfying. Basically, The Elite should be such a pack or arseholes, the big faces all silently agree to just head them all off. Enough of this shit. 

I think the Bucks will play a bigger part in this. Because they ARE the reason this all began. Gaslighting the handsome bastard and being absolute turds. I want this also because you might as well give Hangman a loss to one of them, Nick I'd say. Some dodgy shit. Have Hangman go full Stone Cold at the Invasion, see Kenny fuck-up John Silver's shoulder or something. Then our boy can face Matt Jackson and kick his fucking smug head in. *They probably won't have time for this but mainly I just want it for the Matt Jackson gets rightly twatted part*

Anyway, he's gonna kick out the OWA. He's gonna stove Omega with a Buckshot Lariat. One, two, three! Everyone loses their minds, the Dark Order carry him like he's Mick Foley, he grabs a beer, he crowd surfs to the ramp. He climbs a horse, drinks. The show ends. We all cry. Pregnant women everywhere. 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

It speaks to the faith I have in this company that even in losing his Title shot, I was left certain than one day Jungle Boy is winning the big one. Kenny Omega -> Hangman Page -> MJF -> Jungle Boy seems like a solid four to five years of booking the World Title and building a whole new crop of top stars.

Edited by Supremo

6 hours ago, Supremo said:

It speaks to the faith I have in this company that even in losing his Title shot, I was left certain than one day Jungle Boy is winning the big one. Kenny Omega -> Hangman Page -> MJF -> Jungle Boy seems like a solid four to five years of booking the World Title and building a whole new crop of top stars.

I like that route, although I'd sub Jungle Boy for either Darby or Wardlow. I'd also be tempted to sub MJF for Miro, who has become, in my opinion, the best character in AEW. I'm very invested in seeing the guy win the world title one day. 

As much as I like Jungle Boy, I still think the jury is out on how far he can go, owing largely to his lack of charisma. He's very monotonous on the mic right now, but if he improves, the sky's the limit. If he doesn't, I think his scope to be a main event mainstay will be limited. Hopefully his likely feud with Christian will help take him to that next level. 

I think MJF can go without the world title. How work doesn’t seem to have improved to be that top main event heel either. Wardlow feels like 3/4 years to be the champion