The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Just watched it. Enjoyable show.

- I always enjoy Jericho on commentary, he brings a lot of energy to the show and works hard to put everything over. JR's time must be almost up surely. Mistakes and weird comments all the over the place. I'm not even sure if he can keep at it physically. His voice now compared to just two years ago sounds very strained and more so each week. I would like them to go to a revolving 3rd man scenario. JR can add a lot to a match if he likes the guys involved or if its a title match but most the time he's useless.

- Absolutely cracking opening tag. Great to see Kingston and Penta get a rare win (for either man). Penta is either great or shite and he was on point last night definitely along with really good work from Eddie and Nick. Matt Jackson is too fucking cute for my liking though, proper try hard. Gotta love the heel facial hair and Tony's immediate "what the hell?" on commentary. Perfect finish that put over the faces and didn't damage the Bucks. Not a fan of Penta's Joker gear though. Kazarian murdered Cutler with that clothesline, not sure where his angle is going but I like it.

- Somehow, all credit to them and AEW for sticking with them...the Men of the Year have grown on me. Ethan Page in particular is balancing the right line between arrogant pretty boy heel and deranged maniac. I think he's going to leave Sky behind fairly soon, there's a growing gulf in quality between the two of them. 

- Excalibur picking a match from Jerichos where Taz beat Jericho was hilarious.

- I know Jack Evans isn't hugely popular on here. But I like him. He's a gobby shite with unique offense and it's fun watching him getting beaten up. Perfect match here for Jungle Boy to get his heat back.

- Remember when Miro was crap? I don't. What a man. One of the best in the game right now. Everything he does is great. He sells for his opponents but he makes them work hard for it and will brutally cut them off in an instant. I know AEW doesn't really do rematches often but I'd love to see one with Darby in front of a big live crowd.

- What the fuck are they doing with Britt Baker? Why have they turned the best heel into this dodgy babyface/tweener? And why is Vickie Guerrero on my wrestling in 2021? Absolutely dreadful stuff all round from all involved. I love Rebel so it's sad to see her injured from such weird, badly booked shite as this.

- All the promos and backstage stuff throughout the night was top notch. AEW was pretty bad at this stuff early on but now they are the masters of it. Well produced, well performed, short bits inbetween matches that get over the characters and stories.

- The main event felt suitably epic and it was good but I don't think MJF and Sammy are quite there yet to put on a GREAT match. Which is fine, the massive potential is obvious here. That Sammy dive was a nice fuck you to Ricochet's Raw dive. Summed up the difference between both products, one is a singular moment done for social media gifs in a stale, protected environment between characters no one cares about for no reason while in AEW it's between two hot characters in a long, well built story with a great crowd and it looks like Sammy is trying to kill him. They should have it in the opening video package of Dynamite forever. Could have really done without the avalanche tombstone and 630 kickouts though.

- That ending video might have brought a tear to my eye. It's easy to forget how easily the pandemic could have killed off AEW just when it was starting but they've not only managed to survive but thrive - putting on loads of classic matches and great moments throughout and it still feels like the good times are only just starting. I love this company so much. It's not perfect but it saved my love of wrestling and I look forward to it every week. 

- Fuck you JR.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

That absolutely flew by. Just a great wrestling show.

God, the Dark Order stuff with Hangman would bring a tear to your eye. Just so wholesome.

And Miro. The Redeemer. The religious angle is perfect for him. The way he looks up to the heavens after destroying someone. Absolutely bastard terrifying.

Really enjoyed the show, thought it was a nice solid end to their run in dailys place

As stated above the video at the end was very well put together and showed how even though the company is new making a lot of mistakes at the start of the pandemic how far they have come and how the roster has changed in that time minus some of the regular faces a lot of the divisions have had lots of comings and goings for one reason or another, I'm hoping that they will be looking forward for their new chapter and build one what they have already done.

I would love a hangman feud with omega, but I'm wondering if it maybe a little soon, I always had in my head that Hangman would be the one to take the belt off omega.

Going back a page I honestly think the moment Cody went  wrong for me was when he had this done.

OIP.GOVP86EF0ACKZy4ENkP31gHaEK?pid=ImgDe

To me that was the point where he went from being a really well booked white meat babyface to unaware nobhead. I'd really like him to lean in to the ego stuff as a heel, him thinking he's this good guy but actually he's a bellend. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the show, was a bit misty eyed at the montage video at the end, they've had so many amazing moments at Daily's Place. Have they said anything about doing a big comeback show there?

• Paid Members

Assuming there's some truth to the friction between Cody and the Bucks/Omega, I wonder if some of the most recent element is to do with Penta. They set up Penta as a heel and a feud with Cody, and that seemed like it was going somewhere. New presentation, new character, etc. But then everything suddenly changed and Penta's with the Bucks and more of a face/tweener.

It may be that the QT Marshall stuff wasn't quite the plan in the way it's happened, but Bucks/Omega were determined to be higher priority, so Penta got moved over and Cody was out of a story he wanted to do.

There is like, signifiers that stuff seems a bit off. None of them interacting on TV since April 2020 given they were associated. It might also be they just have a difference in booking but want to keep a variety in AEW. 

Or they all fell out. None of them are going to fuck off. Again, we just want that. Cody isn't hitting it at the moment, and some are craving that to carry on. I think most of it comes from Cody not interacting with some other acts, even if we did get that, the complaints would be even louder. Just how it is with Cody. 'Oh he's in his own world/Hey don't book him over MY faves.'

Maybe crowds will get Cody back into a groove. Because you'd be a contrarion arse to deny how absolutely gold he was for them in the early months of Dynamite. 

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

He has a look on his face there like 'Oh God, what have I done!?'.

Seen as how Cody seems to be so non-self aware, it’s always struck me more as a “yeah, that’s exactly what I needed to do”. Didn’t Brandi supposedly beg him not to get it done.

There were some pictures online the other day that they’ve released through People Magazine. Guess which one of them is taking up half of the frame

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Chili said:

There is like, signifiers that stuff seems a bit off. None of them interacting on TV since April 2020 given they were associated. It might also be they just have a difference in booking but want to keep a variety in AEW. 

Or they all fell out. None of them are going to fuck off. Again, we just want that. Cody isn't hitting it at the moment, and some are craving that to carry on. I think most of it comes from Cody not interacting with some other acts, even if we did get that, the complaints would be even louder. Just how it is with Cody. 'Oh he's in his own world/Hey don't book him over MY faves.'

Maybe crowds will get Cody back into a groove. Because you'd be a contrarion arse to deny how absolutely gold he was for them in the early months of Dynamite. 

That's a no then. Cheers. 

• Paid Members

There were widespread reports confirmed by Tony Khan at one point about tensions and creative differences in the booking. It led to Tony Khan stepping in and taking sole control of the creative. Before then the Bucks and Cody said the stories were written collectively in a group WhatsApp. You can read between the lines and see what's happened in the past year to see that clearly something changed at some point. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

Is there any actual evidence of a fall out? All I ever see is people who don't like Cody speculating and projecting.

Oh, it's speculation, but it's been pretty widespread. I was wondering if it was more that they have different responsibilities and talent they work with, so just aren't as together on-screen. It's also that Cody used to be featured on BTE, and hasn't been in a long time. While we're not seeing evidence of a split, it's also been noticeable how separate they are, if nothing else.

So just wondering if some of Cody's recent stuff isn't so much 'this is what Cody wants to do' as much as it's 'this is what Cody is left with'.

1 minute ago, Chris B said:

So just wondering if some of Cody's recent stuff isn't so much 'this is what Cody wants to do' as much as it's 'this is what Cody is left with'.

Given his prominence, I'm not sure I buy the theory. Penta wasn't doing anything of prominence for a while after what he was doing with Cody wrapped up, and there are plenty of better options other than QT Marshall for Cody to feud with, even if this was the case. The evidence is very much there to suggest that Cody has serious influence in his own direction, rather than him being an unfortunate soul left picking up the scraps. 

He regularly feuds with his own friends or relatives (Dustin, Spears, Marshall), his wife is featured in a prominent wrestling role far more than her ability merits, he has the reality show, he has the Go Big Show, he got the Shaq feud, he was the first ever TNT champion. When it comes to pre-PPV media calls, it's not Omega or The Bucks they put up, it's Tony Khan and Cody. 

I would say it's almost certain that he's in control of his own destiny, and the direction he's taken in 2021 has been pretty weak.