The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Awards Moderator

Really enjoyed that show. Great opener, very good main event that was probably the best both men have been in a while, nothing bad in between. Jericho on commentary was a nice throwback to the early days of the Jacksonville residency.

Some properly exciting stuff coming up, with the Bucks now on the backfoot after a loss, Jungle Boy heading into something with Christian, HANGMAN HANGMAN HANGMAN. Come on Adam, listen to your friends. Get in the title picture. Buckshot the twat's face off. Get your belt.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I've not seen anything concrete about this, but I've seen a few people making references to Omega working hurt recently. If (and it's a big if) that's the case, they may have decided to pull the trigger on the Hangman push, rather than risk not being able to do the story at the 'right' time.

Although... it's not impossible that he loses. If this was NJPW booking, he probably would.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I've not seen anything concrete about this, but I've seen a few people making references to Omega working hurt recently. If (and it's a big if) that's the case, they may have decided to pull the trigger on the Hangman push, rather than risk not being able to do the story at the 'right' time.

Although... it's not impossible that he loses. If this was NJPW booking, he probably would.

Omega has some pretty significant injuries. He has some damage to his tailbone, knees and at least one of his shoulders and a torn muscle in one of his arms that needs surgery he's been putting off. It's why you can see one of his arms is clearly a bit smaller than the other recently and he's lost some muscle mass as he's been struggling to do upper body workouts. I think the Omega title run has more legs on it but it's likely Omega needs the time off.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

Wade Keller referenced it recently, and given the relationship Tony Khan seems to have with people like Keller and Meltzer, I'm assuming that it's probably correct. 

I hope Kenny takes some time off after he drops the belt. The AEW roster is deep enough, and there's really no need for any wrestler to push themselves to keep going if they need recovery time. 

It'll also keep him fresh, and give us his eventual return to anticipate. It would be quite the moment if, for example, Omega was to return as a face to rescue his former partner (and AEW Champion) Hangman Page from being attacked by The Bucks, for example. Perhaps they've teamed up with a heel Cody, who is bitter about being unable to challenge Page for the title, or something. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Perhaps they've teamed up with a heel Cody, who is bitter about being unable to challenge Page for the title, or something. 

This assumes that Cody will ever interact with any of the other EVPs on television again, which I can’t see happening. Something is definitely up. It’s becoming too obvious. The longer it goes on for, the more convinced I am that Cody’s wresting school solely exists for him to continuously bring guys in and keep everything he does on television within this weird, self-contained universe.

On the subject of Cody though, whilst his TV character is a mess, his feuds have steadily gotten worse, he hasn’t done anything of proper interest in months and that match at the last Pay Per View was complete shit, this from Brodie Lee’s wife is lovely.

2F856C57-BE26-40D6-B611-29A49A039965.thumb.jpeg.42e663d1b35ae8c2eef826aa919303cd.jpeg

Class act.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

To be fair to Cody, regardless of what people think of his persona or what-have-you within the wrestling 'universe', he has always come across as a top guy outside of the ring via numerous things he has done along with how he comes across this in interviews. 

That post from Brodie's wife is absolute class and a step beyond what anyone would expect. 

• Paid Members

That is great to read. What a great thing do do for that family. 

I find it hard to know what to make of Cody in AEW. I've no idea how much input he has into the bits I love. I don't know how much of the "can't challenge for the title" and self-contained feuds stuff is him deliberately not pushing himself too much. I don't know if he really has fallen out with the BTE nerds. I know I don't love plenty I see on screen. But in the grand scheme, it doesn't bother me like it does others. 

Yeah fair play to Cody in regards to his out of ring business, he really does seem a class act. 

The main trouble I find with Cody is that he just doesn't seem to know what he wants to be as a wrestler. I would say he is smart enough to realise that he isn't a top tier worker but he desperately wants to be.

He does himself no favours with how he books himself, he seems to want to be Flair, Vince, Dusty, HHH, Cena and Rock all rolled into one and it is just a confusing mess.

Couple this with the fact he may have fallen out with Kenny etc it really does feel like he is just booking an alternative product within the main show. He probably thinks that him, Billy and Dustin are putting over the future but in reality it is just making them look like isolated scrubs.

The excitement surrounding Dustin a few months ago was insane, people were clamouring for him to have a run with the belt and now he is half arsing his way through matches with the Factory trainees. There was an incredible story to be told there of the Rhodes Boys chasing the tag belts for one last hurrah before Dustin rode off into the sunset, instead we got Cody wanting to be Cena and put on open challenges for the secondary title. 

I don't know how Cody goes forward from here without some sort of huge overhaul. The stipulation he has put on himself about the main belt is a real burden as he seems stuck in limbo now.

Maybe he is only interested in working with his boys and trying to hit the mainstream but the lack of direction is baffling. How fucking long has this feud with the Factory been going on now? It is as cold as ice. 

• Paid Members

I feel like I was the last one still flying the flag for Cody until that Ogogo match. There was no defending him after that. What the fuck was he thinking?! Ogogo was green as grass, yet had found a niche of getting over in super short matches doing his one big spot. So Cody goes full Triple-H-vs-Goldberg and makes him wrestle his style of long, drawn-out match before pinning him clean. Whatever momentum there was, completely flushed down the shitter. Didn’t Cody originally sign him? Bloody hell. With coaches and supporters like Cody, who needs people to sabotage your career?

The sad thing is that Cody was once the best thing in the company. Pure, basic storylines, white-meat babyface, great promos, for the longest time he and Jericho were the only real stars they had. I’m baffled as to what happened. I’ve said it before but I honestly wonder if Brodie Lee’s death knocked something out of him. Maybe they had a year-long angle planned or something. Everything was firing on all cylinders until Brodie died and Cody has deteriorated ever since.

But yeah. Clearly a top, top bloke outside of the character he plays on TV.

Those clips of the Brodie Lee tribute show in that montage of Daily’s Place brought it all flooding back. What a truly amazing show. Beautiful stuff. Class across the board. You wouldn’t even think this was the same business, such was the leap in maturity, sincerity and sensitivity in handling the death of a roster member. I still get a lump in my throat and wet eyes even thinking about it. Brodie Junior smiling ear to ear after smashing MJF with that kendo stick! Fantastic.

On the, “WWE Dynamite!” thing, it didn’t bother me at all. In a list of awful moments and bad calls from Jim Ross on AEW television, it wouldn’t even rank in the top twenty. I find it bizarre that this has been the one that everyone has kicked off about. I assume it was because it came right after that brilliant video montage? Even so, I’ll take a million slips of the tongue over those moments when Jim is sulking his way through matches, mocking the names of more recent moves, slagging off the women with backhanded compliments or being extra shitty about the most basic of referee-missed-the-heel-cheating spots.

Also, on this show? Jericho endlessly shouting that Jungle Boy was 50-0 was far worse than anything Ross did. I don’t know what happened to Jericho but this was his worst outing on the desk by far.

Probably time to call it though, lads. No point dragging it out.

87803165-AD44-4555-80D0-1E46429F8C26.jpeg.2dcb59ae1dbe12d6cb6f2c2796f40edb.jpeg

Heel of the year. Look at the state of him. Every week it gets more and more ridiculous. I can’t even imagine what he’s going to end up looking like if this continues. But I cannot wait to find out.

• Paid Members

You reckon Bubba's turning up for a match with Eddie anytime soon?