The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Do we think Dustin has been underutilised? I'm torn. I'd love to see him get one more decent shot at success and I do think he's capable but where that fits in.. I don't know. I can't look at much and think I'd change it with AEW overall. Even the stuff that hasn't worked to begin with generally sorts itself out over time. 

Dustin is really good on his day, but he has nearly 30 years of being a midcarder behind him. In terms of fans perception, His position has been fine for me. 

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Do we think Dustin has been underutilised? I'm torn. I'd love to see him get one more decent shot at success and I do think he's capable but where that fits in.. I don't know. I can't look at much and think I'd change it with AEW overall. Even the stuff that hasn't worked to begin with generally sorts itself out over time. 

I think there’s a good storyline to be told with Dustin in which he’s going for what could be his last World title shot, but it would have to be against the right opponent to have the emotional impact that it could have. But I’m not sure I’d say he’s been underutilised for the reasons you lay out.

I do think Paul Wight has been under-utilised though. He’s a solid commentator, and I don’t quite understand why he doesn’t make the occasional guest appearance at the Dynamite announce desk. I also think he’d make a excellent opponent for Miro  to plough through as he continues his path of destruction. 

Edited by RedRooster

Rewatching that DON entrance again made me realise how much I miss Jon Moxley. Says a lot about him and that Top Babyface aura he brings when he's only been gone for about three weeks and I'm already wanting him back. Penta and Kingston are cool and all but I really hope they go back to the Moxley/King team when he returns. They're the best good guys on Earth and there's so much more to be squeezed from it . Saying that though, you could put anybody against The Young Bucks right now and I'd be on the edge of my seat to see it. They're on incredible form. If Mox/Kingston are perfect babyfaces, then the Bucks are perfect dickhead foils, even when Nick is mostly carrying it. 

I'm always back and forth on the Dark Order/Page stuff, but that segment right there was magic. Chills as they realised what was going on and the 'Hangman' chants began to ring out. Even Omega cut a decent heel promo this week. Can't wait to see Page get the confidence to smash through him. I'll never get why they hardly let Colt Cabana speak though. Very odd.

They need a curator yesterday, but dumb tombstone spot aside, the main event was electric. It's so exciting to see young, fresh stars on the rise, two "homegrown" guys getting incredibly over and delivering in the main event slots. As good as Sammy is I don't think he's even near his full potential yet, and MJF once again reminding me of what a good, underrated worker he is. As rocky as the Pinnacle/Inner Circle feud has been, it's undoubtedly been a boost for these two. Now I just hope Jericho puts MJF over clean, no silly bollocks mate.

The Britt Baker match was instant fast-forward and the only low point. Unreal that they've finally made her the centrepiece of the division and managed to kill all my interest in her dead. I don't think you could book her worse if you were screwing it up on purpose. They're clearly still not arsed with it. Zero follow up to that class Deeb/Riho match. Tay Conti and Red Velvet back on milk cartons. And where the fuck is Thunder Rosa?

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

Before the Tweet loaded up I thought it was going to be Maki Itoh returning! So disappointing.

Having now seen the whole show, I thought that main event was a belter. Sure, I can understand why people might criticise the mad dives or kicking out of 630 Sentons and Second-Rope Tombstones, but whatever. Sometimes you just say bollocks to it and have a crazy match. Especially when it’s involving two guys you’re setting up as future top stars, in your final match in the building after fifteen months. I loved it. So much fun. A fitting send-off. MJF is really starting to click as a top guy for me. Everything he does this time round is an improvement on the Moxley feud. Whereas then it felt like he was cosplaying as a top guy, him posing at the end here felt like the real deal. What a prick. Poor Jericho though. His falls off the stage get more and more pathetic.

Everything involving Vickie Guerrero was pure shit. I can’t even understand the logic behind it. Vickie says Tony Khan owes her a favour, so she makes him book her in a match she’s not qualified for, where she then predictably gets beaten up and loses? What the fuck is going on?! Did Thea Trinidad not get on the plane or something? There’s no way in hell this could’ve been their original plan?!

Edited by Supremo

Agreed on MJF. He's class and I'll never get people thinking he ain't it.

The Trinidad thing is a strange one. Were AEW just not interested? It'll be even weirder if the rumoured Tommy End shows up.

Very much looking forward to Brian Cage vs Ricky Starks. It will be Stark's return from injury in his hometown. Any chance there's a SWERVE and they end up turning him babyface instead? I know he played a good baby in NWA. Cage turning just doesn't sound all that interesting.

• Paid Members

The only thing I can come up with to explain the Vickie Guerrero shit on this show is that they wanted to establish her doing the entrance wearing Nyla’s mask so that they can do a swerve involving someone else in the mask in upcoming weeks.

F682EE2F-5CDB-4FD2-BE85-721BDCD743D2.thumb.jpeg.e6a93581af97b8f86d4fbc632b82044d.jpeg

AEW seem to love a good mask angle so it wouldn’t surprise me at all. No idea who they could bring in though. Mickie James? Chelsea Green? When are the Iconics available?

But yeah - these upcoming shows give me proper Raw-After-Wrestlemania excitement. Full crowds again, fresh buildings, with the roll they’re currently on, surprises promised, with so many exciting free agents out there, and with Hangman Adam Page potentially starting to believe in himself? Holy shit.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Very much looking forward to Brian Cage vs Ricky Starks. It will be Stark's return from injury in his hometown. Any chance there's a SWERVE and they end up turning him babyface instead? I know he played a good baby in NWA. Cage turning just doesn't sound all that interesting.

I think that's the way it's going. Cage as a face doesn't make any sense for me, he needs a mouthpiece for him and bar a big lads fight with Miro, there's very little I think he would have to do against the heels in AEW.

Starks turning and going off on his own would be interesting. A chance to fight the likes of MJF, Kenny Omega when healthy, but even singles matches where he can play the baby-face against people like PAC, Miro, Ethan Page, Lance Archer, Penta without the need for outside interference would be very good. There's something very Randy Orton post Evolution or The Rock coming out of The Nation about him that makes me think he could be absolute money.

Honestly I've almost completely lost interest in the TJPW crew. 

Hard to get invested when all they do is pop up for a few matches before buggering off again for six months or more.

I'm guessing Yuka will work some tags, maybe a Dark/Elevation match or two, lose to Britt and then jump on the first plane home. 

• Paid Members

They're going to pull the trigger on the Hangman push and I am so ready for it. What a moment that was. Also I love the crazy moustaches and mutton chops the Elite have been rocking.