The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

The same people that have clambered for Page to be champion, will in a few weeks say that he’s floundering as champion, and should be nowhere near the top if the card.

This is in no way a dig at Page, or the booking of him, more an unfortunate observation of the way that fanbases turn so quickly when given what they want. 

Edited by Matthew

• Paid Members

Trust JR to fuck up a brilliant ending to the show.

Credit to AEW for the celebration of their time in Jacksonville. Throughout the pandemic, their biggest strength has been embracing the circumstances and working with and within them. They did a tremendous job from the start.

1 hour ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Page as champion would be glorious but would likely end in Cody taking the belt from him. Based on nothing but a horrible feeling that the longer he's not doing anything worthwhile, the more likely he is to be elevated up the card. 

Cody’s just on a holding pattern until he can get his kid to put him over after he trains her. There will be lots of tantrums and crying, but I’m sure the kid can work around Cody’s lazy tropes 

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

The same people that have clambered for Page to be champion, will in a few weeks say that he’s floundering as champion, and should be nowhere near the top if the card.

This is in no way a dig at Page, or the booking of him, more an unfortunate observation of the way that fanbases turn so quickly when given what they want. 

I mean that's not always true. It can be down to shoving things down people's throats or changing characters etc. It's often down to bad booking. I don't think it'll happen with AEW. They seem smarter than that. He'll be a great WWE champion.

2 hours ago, Matthew said:

It's a bit of a strange one, to be honest. When exactly has this happened with any fan favourite in the entire history of AEW?

Even if you look at WWE, when fans are - as you say - "given what they want" - I can't think of many examples at all of fans turning on the act. If a title run goes badly, people are savvy enough to blame the booking/Vince rather than the act. 

All in all, this was a solid, if unspectacular show. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't immediately understand why The Dark Order interrupted Omega, but as soon as it clicked in my brain, I genuinely had goosebumps. 

The moment Page finally confronts Omega and makes his intentions clear will be electric. 

The Bucks are outstanding at the moment too, and I'm really curious as to who they have lined up to eventually defeat them. Given that this is AEW, I think it's very likely that there is a plan in place. Santana and Ortiz seem to be the most likely option, and watching them win the titles would be an emotional moment. Then again, I still feel incredibly invested in a Kingston/Mox title win. 

Miro was brilliant once again, and his theme music is a rare example of AEW nailing it with an original track. He feels like the most dangerous, deranged person in wrestling. I love watching him. 

Even Christian has turned it around - his storyline with Jungle Boy is probably my favourite AEW storyline right now. He's brilliantly patronising and insincere, but also subtle enough for a turn not to feel inevitable. I don't see why he'd be interacting with Jungle Boy in this way if that wasn't going to happen - and I hope the match between the two of them gets the PPV slot it deserves. I thought signing Christian was a bad idea, but I'm pleased to say I was wrong. 

Andrade is brilliant too, and once again proved that he doesn't need Vickie to speak for him. 

The only negative I have, other than the fact they advertised a QT Marshall match for next week, is Jim Ross. At the risk of sounding kneejerk, it's time to take him off the announce desk. Not specifically because of "WWE Dynamite", and not even because of the other mistakes he's made recently. He regularly displays ignorance and outdated attitudes, and is a PR disaster waiting to happen - but my main issue is that he often takes you out of the show with his grumpiness. The way he speaks to Excalibur is often uncomfortable and unacceptable, and the jabs he takes at what he's watching are generally counterproductive. Keep him for sit-down interviews if you like, or give him a behind-the-scenes role. But the time has come to replace him as an announcer.  

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

Fantastic episode. Nick Jackson is now one of my favourites to watch for being an absolute git. That opener was amazing! Wasn’t keen on the end of the main, but the match itself was great until then. The video package gave me goosebumps. They have picked up on where WWE used to be kings of putting together emotive video packages. 

Then JR spoke ffs. But they have set up some great feuds going forward for getting back on the road and it will be good to see them out of Daily’s for Vax a while, and hopefully we’ll see less of Everton shirt guy.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

10 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I mean that's not always true. It can be down to shoving things down people's throats or changing characters etc. It's often down to bad booking. I don't think it'll happen with AEW. They seem smarter than that. He'll be a great WWE champion.

You're JR aren't you? 

• Paid Members

I honestly think JR actually likes Excalibur. I tend to take the responses to corrections as JR trying to be grumpily funny. 

Paul Wight talked about how mistakes are handled differently in AEW, and as embarrassing as it is for JR to refer to WWE Dynamite, mistakes happen. JR is older, he's there to provide that voice, and he was making mistakes years ago. He's coming to the end of his run anyway, you'd expect, so they'll hopefully transition him out in the near future anyway, and he'll concentrate on occasional interviews etc.

3 hours ago, Matthew said:

You're making people up in your head here, I haven't seen this happen at all in AEW so far. You can maybe at a push say the backlash against Cody but that's more to do with him being a bit shit recently.

The Dark Order and Page are just such a wholesome unit (outside of the lewd jokes lol) that comes across as a bunch of guys that really care for eachother, I love every single one of them.

Edited by Merzbow

3 hours ago, Matthew said:

Hello, no I fucking won't, and they'd need to give me a very, very good reason to hate this handsome cowboy. My heart actually started to race when the Kenny segment started going the way it was, I was like 'No, now?' and as soon as Dark Order waltzed out, 'Oh fuck, this is it boys', but they got us magnificently again. Loved we got the follow-up after with Page about to read the DO the riot act, only for them to give him the real advice. 

No actually saying his name and Kenny's outright dismissal and REFUSAL to even say his name are fantastic. Christ, both those segments had me going 'OH GOD, MATEEEEE. YOU REALLY CAN LAD!!! 

Can't wait for him to win, then slag him off because its QT's time innit. 

• Paid Members

The crowd figuring out the direction and chanting for Hangman was the most exciting thing in wrestling since the segment where Daniel Bryan announced his return, said he wasn’t sure what was next for him, and then everyone in the crowd started pointing at the Wrestlemania sign. Genuine goosebumps.

The idea that fans will turn on Adam Page when he wins the belt holds no water at all. It’s likely that would happen in WWE, as we’ve seen countless times, but it wouldn’t be because fans are fickle, it’d be because they’d completely ruin the act and suddenly have guys acting like wankers. People didn’t turn on Roman because he was getting pushed. They turned on him because he became a loser shouting shit like, “sufferin’ succotash!” People didn’t turn on Seth Rollins simply because he won the title. They turned on him because he started crying and screaming in terror like a twat. People weren’t on the brink of turning on Drew before Covid hit simply because he was getting the big push. It was because he started acting like a cheesy game show host, “cracking,” shit jokes. And if crowds start booing Drew when they return next month it won’t be because he’s now the top babyface, it’ll be because he’s a fucking loser who’s failed to win the Title on about ten different occasions now, almost always thanks to shitty outside interference that makes him look like an idiot. I hate this bollocks where it’s somehow the fan’s fault when top babyfaces in WWE fail. It’s not true at all.

There’s little to no evidence that something like that would happen in AEW. They’ve got almost no history of ruining an act once they start getting the big push. If anything, the history of AEW is filled with examples of the fans getting what they want and it massively succeeding. Orange Cassidy was far more popular than anyone expected, so they pushed him and he’s gone on to be one of the best parts of the show. Fucker was in a World Title match the other week and didn’t feel out of of place at all. No-one would ever dream of booing him. Everyone wanted the Bucks and Kenny Omega to stop being a bunch of jobbers. They’re now the best bunch for moustachioed baddies in the sport. Everyone wanted Miro to get serious. He’s now a killer and it fucking rules. Everyone clocked that the Broken Matt Hardy stuff was shit. He’s been infinitely better as Big Money Matt. I could go on and on. One final example though - everyone gravitated towards Eddie Kingston. They signed him up and he’s now the locker room leader, adored by everyone, making Bully Ray cry his fat face off. Brilliant.

Edited by Supremo