The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I like that route, although I'd sub Jungle Boy for either Darby or Wardlow. I'd also be tempted to sub MJF for Miro, who has become, in my opinion, the best character in AEW. I'm very invested in seeing the guy win the world title one day. 

As much as I like Jungle Boy, I still think the jury is out on how far he can go, owing largely to his lack of charisma. He's very monotonous on the mic right now, but if he improves, the sky's the limit. If he doesn't, I think his scope to be a main event mainstay will be limited. Hopefully his likely feud with Christian will help take him to that next level. 

No, definitely Jungle Boy. He's got the lot. I'd still hit fast forward on him, the time is soon. 

Not MJF for me, just don't see it anymore. He's very good but not the top act. Agree on Miro if you're going down this path.

I agree with not seeing MJF as a top level heel. He is very good what he does buy does have a ceiling. He is The Miz as far as I am concerned. 

Omega - Page - Miro - Jungle Boy would be a nice run at the top. Factor in Darby, Sammy and Wardlow at some point in the coming years and that is a nice looking upper deck. 

Watching Nick Jackson channel his inner early 90's HBK really makes me wish he would go solo and keep Gallows around as his bodyguard. Fuck Matt and Anderson clean off. I do think The Bucks are a tremendous team but Nick is the star. 

26 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

No, definitely Jungle Boy. He's got the lot. I'd still hit fast forward on him, the time is soon. 

To date, all AEW champions have been big personalities and Jungle Boy just doesn't have that...yet. For me, the next step for him has to be the TNT title - and given how exciting the TNT title scene is right now, I don't think that's a bad thing. But it would allow him to show, much as Darby did, that he can have a thrilling title reign, yet still leave room for the gratification that would be a World title win. I don't see much benefit in rushing him to the top, the journey is generally far more exciting than the end destination. Plus, he does need to improve on the mic. Working with people like Christian, Miro, Jericho and even MJF will surely help him do that. 

35 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Not MJF for me, just don't see it anymore. He's very good but not the top act.

MJF is an odd one for me. For me, he needs the title at some point in order to prove he can be the top act. He could have a fantastic title reign, or a disappointing one, much like his feud with Moxley. He might sink, or swim - but I think you have to pull the trigger on him to find out. 

The other wildcard is Wardlow. Month after month, he's proving to me that he belongs at the very top of the card. He absolutely has to win the World title at some point, and I would argue that his time should come sooner, rather than later. And I'd also argue that when he does win the big one, it should be as a babyface. 

Whatever happens, the fact we're all able to have such a varied debate about who should or could become World Champion shows you how brilliantly well AEW has done at building up top acts. In spite of what I just argued, would I complain if Jungle Boy was made World Champion? Absolutely not, I'd be buzzing. Same goes for Orange Cassidy, MJF, Wardlow, Miro, Darby, Kingston, Andrade, Penta, Page and a number of others. The roster is so exciting. 

Could you imagine having this conversation about WWE? Sadly, it's almost impossible. There are talented wrestlers, but hardly any with any level of momentum. 

• Paid Members

For me, going forward, if they handle it right they will have Jungle Boy and Darby Allin as their two "homegrown" stars who are the cornerstones at the top of the card. Y

ou have two guys there who the fans seem to have adopted as their own, who both have the potential to switch between face and heel(Jungle Boy could take the Jack Perry name, and do a spoilt, Hollywood golden boy type thing as a heel, just like Allin could easily switch between cool underdog counter-culture guy to crazy psychopathic skater bloke), and allow others like Miro, Page, etc to cycle in and out of the main event programs as needed.

• Paid Members

I think this Jungle Boy chat is a bit overexcited and premature. He can barely cut a promo and we're already fantasy booking him doing heel turns. He's a great white meat babyface but you need a more than that to reach the next level.

The guy has a lot of potential but I don't really see him as The Top Guy like I do with others. And that's fine, he's 23 (24?) years old and has years to develop. There's loads of guys I can see as future main eventers in AEW which is what makes AEW so fun to watch. If they continue to improve I think Wardlow, Powerhouse Hobbs and Ricky Starks are definitely main event material. Hangman is almost there and if Miro keeps his current level of performance than I don't see any reason why you wouldn't build the entire company around him. 

When it comes to MJF I can't shake that he gets a lot of his promos from early CM Punk the whole I'm better than you specially the one at the last ppv.

Ever since then I see the punk act more in him and I can't shake it unless it's just me. 

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I think this Jungle Boy chat is a bit overexcited and premature. He can barely cut a promo and we're already fantasy booking him doing heel turns. He's a great white meat babyface but you need a more than that to reach the next level.

He's not far off at all. His work is good enough, he looks great and he's a PR dream. He's not going to be Moxley as champion, he's going to be an ultimate underdog. Absolutely convinced that if they'd built it and pulled the trigger on Saturday, he'd have been fine. You would have a queue of guys you could line up to assume this was their opportunity to beat a guy who was there for the taking only to come unstuck. Like Rey Mysterio in 2006 except for the bit where the big lads all do prove that he's shit and in over his head.

All speculative because it's never happening but it could and he'd be great. He's always great.

37 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Wardlow, Powerhouse Hobbs and Ricky Starks 

Wardlow is a star in waiting. This week was the first time I've really thought Hobbs has "it". Starks I just don't get. He's not authentic enough and doesn't have the look, size or body or other attributes to make up for it. He's not Eli Drake level shite but he's not top guy potential. 

No idea when any of them will be champion to be honest. In a good few years I reckon their big boys of the future are MJF, Sammy, Jungle Boy, Darby and Lee Johnson if they all stay about and don't get fucked up, hurt, leave or whatever. Those guys, all young and have loads left. Anna Jay on the women's side. She'll go places. 

Wardlow can turn face whenever they want to properly set that ball rolling. The background stuff last year with Wardlow having a Virgil type deal with MJF was just there for them to say to us 'remember this, just keep it filed away'. As soon as its going that way though, like Orange coming out of that cake, it's going to immensely satisfying whenever MJF clocks that the penny has dropped. 

Ricky Starks ceiling is probably the upper card fantastic dickhead. I absolutely love his entrance music. He's also a massive hoot on the B shows. 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

The moment when Brian Cage chased off Ricky Starks was great - everyone came across well in that. Ricky Starks definitely has something, primarily that he's fucking hilarious. Even Hobbs was looking better - he's competent, and he's now stopped with that daft sneer, and comes across all the more intimidating for it.

While there'll be plenty of stuff that doesn't get paid off, one thing AEW seems to be really good at is building up long-term call-backs too. They've already had MJF and Jungle Boy knocking heads in the past, and it feels like one that's easy to pick up again at any point. It really feels like their Rock/HHH - featured matches, then (later this year, probably), a proper feud and showstealer, until (in a couple of years) main eventing against each other. They've got similar with Omega/Moxley and Omega/Pac - matches that can easily be revisited any time, and heated back up in no time.

Jungle Boy has flaws just like Darby does, but the exciting thing about AEW is that you feel they can capitalise on him anyway. It's not like everyone has to 'adapt' to some rigid, increasingly fussy system or otherwise be written off. They seemingly have the ability to work around it. They could probably even make Ricochet feel like a star.

10 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

I do think The Bucks are a tremendous team but Nick is the star. 

It's funny because they were indistinguishable for the longest time to me. The only difference being that Nick did flips and Matt liked a German. Since the heel turn though they've really pulled apart in my mind. Nick has turned into one of the best heels in wrestling. I can't take my eyes off him during their entrances - one of my favourite things in the world right now is watching him swaggering to the ring in their expensive clobber, the facials and mannerisms of a dickhead I love to hate. I even like his low-key, dry sense of humour coming to the surface in some of their promos. He's really come out of his shell recently.

Matt on the other hand tries too hard and is generally a eye-roller. 

• Paid Members

Yeah Matt is absolutely trying far too hard. He comes across completely fake while Nick is completely believable as an arrogant weirdo. 

On the topic of potential main eventers, I think once back from injury if they got behind Rey Fenix as a singles he has all the potential in the world.