The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

12 hours ago, Chris B said:

Man, what loser had the time to write all that?

Thank you so much for writing all of that, absolutely incredible. I've sent the thread on a few WhatsApp groups and it's getting a lot of love from lapsed fans.

Someone tag Tony Khan and get him to sort you out with a well earned pay day. 

• Paid Members

Am I the only one who thinks that it was Kenny who convinced Hangman to cost the Bucks their title shot then? He spent most of their tag run saying stuff like "We're the Champions but the Bucks are the best team in the world" and how lucky they were to win at Revolution, I can absolutely see him begging Page to do it, because he didn't think they'd be able to beat them again.

It shows how amazing the story is that, as great as that Twitter thread was, there's so many other wee layers that were left out. Like Hangman winning the tag titles on his own while Kenny was slumped in the corner or the amazing BTE bit when Hangman walked in while the Dark Order were chanting "Fuck Hangman!" only to JOIN IN! That's one of the best things I've seen in years.

Such a great great story.

13 hours ago, Chris B said:

Man, what loser had the time to write all that?

Maybe one for the TIL thread in off topic, but I have only just clicked 😂😂😂

• Paid Members

This remains my favourite part of the Hangman story so far. Such a crushing moment, him watching in the wings as all his former friends succeed and celebrate without him.

629EB0B6-76B2-40EF-94AC-758677547A74.jpeg.d6e0919969bbe270de55cb64c0b085d8.jpeg

From what I remember, I don’t think any of the announcers even pointed it out. Imagine that! A pro-wrestling company with a bit of subtlety, actually trusting the viewer to see and pick up on stuff without it being shouted into their brains. Top stuff.

This entire segment was outstanding. Negative 1's birthday party, Hangman flying off the stage and the superb 'HE SAID YES' post-match. John Silver is hilarious here. IIRC we were all raving about this and really hoping there were not actually writing off the angle. 

Edited by Chili

16 hours ago, Louch said:

Superb thread on the hangman, then Omega journey to where they are now. I’m so ready for this to kick off, needs a Road To special to show all the BTE stuff not shared on Tv

https://twitter.com/chrisbrosnahan/status/1411638991343042562?s=21 

Thank you for sharing. That was actually superb.

37 minutes ago, Chili said:

This entire segment was outstanding. Negative 1's birthday party, Hangman flying off the stage and the superb 'HE SAID YES' post-match. John Silver is hilarious here. IIRC we were all raving about this and really hoping there were not actually writing off the angle. 

Watched this at lunchtime trying to find the point he said yes to being just friends with them. Is it just the Christmas Carol BTE where he says he will stick around and have some egg nog as it pans out through the snowy window? 

4 minutes ago, Louch said:

Watched this at lunchtime trying to find the point he said yes to being just friends with them. Is it just the Christmas Carol BTE where he says he will stick around and have some egg nog as it pans out through the snowy window? 

Someone did a comp of the Dark Order BTE bits. Hangman appears a bit prior but 13:42 in this video is where he starts appearing in the sketches. Starting with the absolutely mad 'Cowboy Day'. The Christmas bit is here too. 

I don't think it's all deliberate long-term booking, but the pandemic forcing them to find ways to extend the angle in creative ways. Because of this, the emphasis was on character interactions outside the matches, which, surprise surprise, ended up with a proper emotional investment in the characters, development for everyone involved, and all without a wink or a nudge or a rolled eye in sight. That recap on the Hangman story even skipped bits like Hangman going out into the woods and posting soul-baring but humorous promos about finding birds nests. I also wonder how in-ring segments like He Said Yes would've gone if crowds had been there - would it have been the same if a whole arena had been chanting for Hangman to say yes, and would there have been actual boos rather than gasps when he said no?

Crowds are back now, so it does feel like the perfect time to pull the trigger. What better way to signpost a new era of AEW than to crown the people's champion?

I’d forgotten the part where he heard kenny getting announced as champ while with them. BTE has always been good for adding content to stories, did it the last year or so of their Indy runs as well with various stories like Adam Cole leaving and Marty etc 

A credit to Chris that the replies are mostly people defending him, than the usual bandwagon jumpers when a wrestler throws an “insult” out.