The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

My question, where does Hangman go with the title once he wins it?

Does he have the Dark Order backing him up against the Pinnacle? Does someone like Miro become his first big challenge?

Long feud with Kenny and The Elite then MJF, Miro, Andrade, Malaki Black or whoever else they build up during that time as heels. A babyface vs babyface story with Hangman vs Moxley intrigues me too. Plenty of potential options.

Totally agree as others have said this flew by (as have other shows, including DorN- never have a second to grab a beer as it’s mostly must see!). 

The Hangman story makes me feel like a kid watching wrestling again. The tension between him and Kenny was electric. 

So happy to be a fan at this time! 

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Saw @Supremo mention a super team against The Elite. Doing the maths there are 7 wrestlers in the Elite and 7 Dark Order members. Boom, there is a nice little TV tag match without overdosing on names. No Hangman in the match. Be a good time to really hurt a DO member there. Maybe little Johnny Silver for the added shithouse levels. 

Said it before, have hangman be at a trade fair or something, and interview via satellite, then have the elite just steamroll the dark order in his absence and put a few out. Puts the odds against him with his allies out, and heat on the bad guys 

22 minutes ago, Louch said:

Said it before, have hangman be at a trade fair or something, and interview via satellite, then have the elite just steamroll the dark order in his absence and put a few out. Puts the odds against him with his allies out, and heat on the bad guys 

This, as we're in fantasy booking mode here is where I'd have Hangman go full Austin before the Invasion, just murking goons in a brawl until its just Kenny. 

Plus if Don Callis is ever getting kicked out one day, I'd put a long shot on it being Schiavone as a little one off. Have him have ENOUGH. Full Monsoon kicking out Heenan. 

Callis is a great additional prick isn't he. Really laughed at Evil Uno referring to him as Kenny's weird uncle. 

Edited by Chili

Loved how the crowd referenced Callis' firing on Impact, even if Tony, JR and Excalibur didn't on commentary. Speaking of the latter, they've brought up constantly how he's mates with the Bucks, I wonder if we ever get to a point where the Bucks go ultra dick mode trying to intimidate Tony and JR and he stands up for them ala Lawler v Taz over JR or Taz v Austin over Cole?

15 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Long feud with Kenny and The Elite then MJF, Miro, Andrade, Malaki Black or whoever else they build up during that time as heels. A babyface vs babyface story with Hangman vs Moxley intrigues me too. Plenty of potential options.

Some interesting options, and given how good they've been with long term planning, I reckon they already know who'll win the title from Hangman.

They've had MJF defeat him once before, setting up a feud between the two quite nicely. If MJF was to win the title from Hangman, he'd be the first true AEW original to win the World title, and it would line up MJF as the one opponent Hangman can't beat - giving them a great story to go back to somewhere down the line. 

MJF's history with Cody would also, eventually, give them the opportunity to lift Cody's "won't challenge for the title" stip if they wanted to - MJF, feeling untouchable, could taunt Cody, and make his life hell, thinking that Cody can't do a great deal about it. Until Cody actually decides that he will, in a "one and done" title shot. 

• Paid Members

I still don't understand the desire for a Cody title shot. The point about stipulations having meaning is, for me, far, far more important than a Cody title reign. It's not like they're low on people who would be good at it.

This week, good God, but that segment with Hangman and Kenny was perfect. They're both so good at this.

I also like that JR was making a big deal about Santana bulking up and taking things seriously - it feels like he's someone they've got big hopes for. As they should. Dude's incredibly relatable and likeable.

31 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I also like that JR was making a big deal about Santana bulking up and taking things seriously - it feels like he's someone they've got big hopes for. As they should. Dude's incredibly relatable and likeable.

I watched the interview segment that JR did with Santana before his match with Moxley on Dynamite, and man, that is one bad ass promo. Real emotion, which you don't get alot of in Wrestling. 

Plus, his eyes look like they've seen some shit. And the eyes chico, they never lie. 

I like Santana because I absolutely believe every word he says. He's confident but still also a bit nervous and I think it actually plays into his charm. Ortiz is great at the moment too, being the short spoken one, more level headed. Santana is brilliant though, smile of a choir boy, but then he'll stab a dickhead with a fork because he fucking has to. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I still don't understand the desire for a Cody title shot. The point about stipulations having meaning is, for me, far, far more important than a Cody title reign. It's not like they're low on people who would be good at it.

Agreed.

I also think there's a lot more interesting storyline possibilities WITH the stipulation than without it and they haven't explored any of them so far. For example he can't hold the title but he can stop others from holding it, or injuring the Champion so badly that they have to vacate it. A feud with MJF along those lines would be awesome.

You could also turn him heel with him trying to live vicariously through Dustin or his trainees, pressuring them to win the title in his place and getting frustrated when they aren't good enough.

It's a unique position. I don't really get why people want to undo it when there's so many places that they can go.

36 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I still don't understand the desire for a Cody title shot. The point about stipulations having meaning is, for me, far, far more important than a Cody title reign. It's not like they're low on people who would be good at it..

Honestly, I think there's a good chance they actually will stick to this stip, but I hope they don't. For me, the existence - and potential removal - of the stip opens up some really interesting storyline opportunities.

Say MJF wins the title, and is due to face a babyface in a TV match, or on one of the specials - let's say that it's Dustin - but he is taken out, with the assumption being that MJF is responsible. MJF gloats about not having to wrestle, without directly stating his involvement. Cody comes out, says he would not normally do this, but because he can't stand by and let MJF get away with attacking his brother - and to get revenge, he'll take away the only thing that means something to MJF, the AEW World title. He's spoken to Tony Khan, and for "one night only" the stip is lifted, and Cody challenges for the belt. 

Cody wins, it emerges that he was responsible for taking out Dustin as part of a plan to con Khan into giving him a title shot, but also out of jealousy at his own brother being able to challenge for the title when he could not. This leads up to a Cody/Dustin rematch, which would definitely be a draw, and it also gives MJF something to be bitter about - given that he lost to someone who shouldn't have been wrestling for the belt in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

I also think there's a lot more interesting storyline possibilities WITH the stipulation than without it and they haven't explored any of them so far. For example he can't hold the title but he can stop others from holding it, or injuring the Champion so badly that they have to vacate it. A feud with MJF along those lines would be awesome.

I agree with this statement, but for different reasons than you lay out - for me, these interesting storyline opportunities relate directly to Cody winning, or wrestling for the title. If he did challenge for the title, even as a one off, it would be a big deal and exciting. Personally, I think they'd be mad not to do it. It has to be handled correctly, and it can't feel like a cheap WWE-style "forget that we said that" style stip. And I have faith in AEW. If Cody ever does challenge for the title, I think the appropriate groundwork will be laid out. 

• Awards Moderator

Echoing everyone else by saying the Omega/Hangman segment this week was excellent. I also really liked the Ethan/Darby interview - I haven’t had any interest in AEW’s lesser Page up til now, but that segment made me care. Black’s spinny kicks were as great as they were in NXT. And the main event really stepped up once all the run ins and ref bumps started happening. It was a good show!

Was there a fan trying to get in the ring during Jericho's entrance?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator