The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I imagine it must be super satisfying for people who’ve followed Eddie Kingston’s career for years, seeing him finally hit the big time and succeed so well. It’s always mad seeing guys you’ve watched perform in tiny shit holes get their big break and hit a home run. I think that’s always been half the appeal of Daniel Bryan - watching him sleeping on floors and buying shitty second hand T-shirts on those Wrestling Road Diary DVDs, seeing him piss about at Butlins, only for him to then be main eventing Wrestlemania.

It’s almost a shame that Moxley losing his mind and getting lost during their entrance became the (incredible) talking point at Double or Nothing because if it wasn’t for that we’d be talking about how ridiculously over Eddie Kingston is and is going to be now that crowds are back. Motherfucker made himself a genuine star. I was over the moon seeing how chuffed he clearly was.

However, as great as it must be for long-time fans, I still think I prefer my experience of Eddie Kingston. Barely even recognising his name that first night on Dynamite, having never seen him before, only for him to instantly become one of my favourite promos and characters of all time. That first time he came out and threatened Arn Anderson was like being unplugged from the Matrix. It was like a fan had jumped the rail and grabbed a mic. One hundred percent authentic, there was nothing whatsoever to suggest that this was a performance. It reminds me of Nakamura’s first night in NXT. This Superstar appearing out of nowhere, fully developed, dripping in talent, like he’d come from another dimension or something. The only difference is that Kingston actually got better as time went on rather than fizzling out and phoning it in. It’s been the better part of a year and I still can’t stop thinking about that promo he cut on Moxley. All-time greatness.

Edited by Supremo

Same as @Supremo. I'd seen Eddie Kingston from shitty old clips or Botchamania in his awful Puerto Rican pleather gear. When he walked out on Dynamite I recognised him, THEN he cut his promo and I was well into seeing him. Luckily he doesn't suck in the ring either. He's been a great discovery after years of ignoring him. 

Please no-one ever bring up Cody again or I'll start wishing for QT to beat Kenny just to satisfy the expectation of people's worst fears. 

Edited by Chili
Spelling

They are in New York the week before. Have Eddie go through some big complex attitude era style gauntlet to get his shot at this show . 

• Paid Members

The first time I saw Kingston was when he was CZW's mystery partner in their War Games match with ROH. I thought he was shit. Just a fat backyarder badly copying moves he'd seen on All Japan tapes or something. I saw bits of him in Chikara after that, where he was okay, but a bad fit for that promotion.

Never thought he'd amount to anything. I certainly never thought he'd ever be one of my favourite wrestlers.

The guy really is just amazing. His ability to adapt and make whatever he's doing feel real is incredible. Whether he's heel or babyface. A manager, singles or part of a tag team, you can put him anywhere on the card, in any role, and he'll make it work. Just give him a microphone.

• Paid Members

Just a thought that popped in to my head and I'm not getting at anything in particular other than interest, but what do Fulham FC fans think of AEW and Tony Khans involvement? I presume he will have stepped away from a lot of the day to day running of Fulham, but is there any resentment towards AEW etc., especially due to the relegation? Admittedly, I'm not fully aware of the backroom setup at Fulham and whether they have a CEO etc., but I have seen a few videos from Tony addressing things directly with their fans.

21 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Just a thought that popped in to my head and I'm not getting at anything in particular other than interest, but what do Fulham FC fans think of AEW and Tony Khans involvement? I presume he will have stepped away from a lot of the day to day running of Fulham, but is there any resentment towards AEW etc., especially due to the relegation? Admittedly, I'm not fully aware of the backroom setup at Fulham and whether they have a CEO etc., but I have seen a few videos from Tony addressing things directly with their fans.

They fucking hate him. It's not far off Newcastle fans and Mike Ashley.

9 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

They fucking hate him. It's not far off Newcastle fans and Mike Ashley.

Cause ain't he charge of player recruitment? Or director of football something like that

The first time I saw Eddie Kingston was on some random Chikara show against Mike Quackenbush. What immediately struck me - other than those beautiful eyes - was how authentic he was. He just instantly came off like a real dodgy street scummer. But even better was the way he turned that on it's head, and by the end of the match was receiving genuine sympathy from the crowd, selling the leg like Ricky Steamboat, all while keeping the same sense of authenticity. It was awesome.

Before that I knew him as the promo guy that "Dean Ambrose rips off". So it's cool to see them be the best buddy team in wrestling. I'm so excited to see what he does at the New York show.

11 minutes ago, sivy said:

Cause ain't he charge of player recruitment? Or director of football something like that

Yeah, he's director of football. I was reading about this earlier, but yeah he's got final say on recruitment, by all accounts.Was reading a post on a Fulham fan site about the whole thing. A lot of their fans are apparently largely absolving Scott Parker and the team for the relegation and placing the blame squarely on Tony Khan. Bit of an oversimplification but fandom is largely trash.

I first saw Eddie Kingston on an AAW show, I think. He was incredible. I'm a big fan of Mark Haskins on a technical level, but I've always found he struggles to pull heat out of his matches. Kingston had an absolute cracker with him and then later in the show did a fantastic job out of playing the put upon everyman in an angle with David Starr, of all people. 

He stands out on AEW as a guy who absolutely knows who he is on a roster teeming with guys who are still, to varying degrees, finding themselves. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nick James said:

what do Fulham FC fans think of AEW and Tony Khans involvement?

My mate fucking hates it. From his perspective Khan spends all his time on wrestling and doing nothing for Fulham. Also Tony apparently only chimes up when Fulham win a game but otherwise doesn't seem interested.  Seems fair enough, no idea how anyone can run a fulltime major wrestling promotion and still have time for another job.

In other news, Santana and Ortiz have new entrance music and it's total shite:

That Mikey Ruckus lad has made a few blinders (Stings theme for example) but most his stuff is fairly terrible and sounds very similar. Their previous tune was perfect for them, changing it was a bad idea.

But Santana seems to be getting into the hip hop game so maybe he can do new music for their entrance. This sounds pretty decent:

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Seems fair enough, no idea how anyone can run a fulltime major wrestling promotion and still have time for another job.

It's that what made me think about how the Fulham fans felt, you can imagine with how much effort and energy he puts in to AEW, the Fulham side would suffer, but I wasn't sure how much involvement he had these days.

EDIT: Had a look on the Fulham hashtag on twitter and came across this belter of an exchange.

Screenshot_20210618-181834_Twitter.jpg

Edited by Nick James