The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Not an awful show by any means but everything felt a step off by the second half, a weird lack of energy with even Dustin's match being unusually dull and it wasn't all on Nick.

Putting a heel Nyla against Britt seems odd, unless they want the crowd to get behind the dentist even more than they already are.

I saw LIVE in the top corner of the screen and knew it was going to be a weaker show. That's the pattern now. The prerecordeds are almost always tighter, higher energy and better produced.

An OK show but I definitely drifted off a couple of times.

Writing Mox off via 4 floppy BTE Triggers makes sense, and Eddie getting involved again with Death Triangle is a fun wrinkle. It should as fun seeing them fighting alongside one another as against each other,with just Eddie's presence being enough to wind up PAC.

Jungle Boy and Christian vs Private Party was a good little veteran rub match. JR clearly had "Jack Perry is HOT" on his notepad and couldn't think of anything else. Three weeks build to his shot means this should be a huge deal come match time. I said when Christian turned up he'd be feuding with Hardy in three months.

The IC love-in is getting kind of tedious, and Jericho's reasons for carrying on the feud were woolly at best. What constitutes beating MJF "enough"?

Sky's stipulation for his next tag with Darby is interesting. Darby can either turn up with a random, or by himself, and it'll still be an intriguing match up.

The Cody vs Factory feud is not only full of wrong finishes but now upside down, as he'd beaten both his opponents on his own, but this thing is still going. Ogogo no longer being a one-punch killer has reduced his stock already. And of course, there were no ill effects from the repeated blows he gave Cody just a week ago. Shotty Lee continues to be a token bystander in the Nightmare Family. Cody's good matches in AEW have been against his brother, a mate from his previous workplace, and in a cage with dozens of shortcuts.

Im really excited for Team Taz vs Page and 10 next week. Cage doing space age muscle stuff, Hobbs walking through people, 10 bringing his holiday camp big man style and Page being Page. Should be cracking. Starks walking off mid promo was great show don't tell too.

Kind of a disappointment Andrade went with El Idolo and not La Sombra. Intro was weak, and I'd have much preferred him to walk straight into an angle that sets out who he is in AEW. Too many 'faces' in AEW now. The face of the network, then the face of the revolution, and now the face of AEW. All pretty meaningless, unless Andrade is going for a Model gimmick. I assume his mic work isn't up to much, and that's why they've paired him with Vicky on Lucha heritage value alone.

Menry looked great (a salmon sweater will do) but his yeah but no but promo followed by immediate cut off meant the segment didn't go anywhere except cheap pop the live crowd.

Britt vs Rose is a decent first feud. Tweener matches are always awkward, and if crowds are going to cheer Britt anyway, it makes sense to give her a proper obstacle with championship history. The celebration angle was sub-WWE prop rubbish, but the match up should be solid.

Miro continues to keep God on side, this time also thanking him for his hot wife. I'm hoping for an indie movez vs power match vs Uno. Johnny Hungy's birthday gift was a great example that you don't need a long promo to get things over.

Poor Dustin. I watched his Unrestricted podcast interview and he sees himself as just a worker like anyone else, but agreeing to walk a green tank like Nick Comoroto through a gimmick TV main event on the strength of one bullrope shot three weeks ago was just too much. Nothing was done to get Nick over beforehand apart from "look at him!" and he was massively exposed here, more than Ogogo was vs Cody. One minute an unfeeling monster, next minute on comedy wobbly knees, the next barking instructions at Solow (equally characterless). His eyes are weirdly kind too - he roared at the camera as he fired up and realised how much better suited he'd be to being the nice but dim caveman face. Dustin clearly wasn't up for a tough one, landing on his feet or one knee for everything, and still looked gassed by the end of it. 

One last note on my wrestling snobbery - I discovered that all tag teams should have a combined weight of over 400lbs, otherwise it's just silly.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I'm just not a fan of "hey, this guy's here now" debuts, and they've done the same thing with Andrade, Christian, and arguably Mark Henry and Paul Wight. 

Andrade on his own is exciting, but a hint of what his first storyline and who his first opponent could be would be far better.

Yeah, at the risk of going all fantasy booking/booking 101, surely your ideal debut for Andrade is to have him run out wearing the La Sombra mask (which a chunk of your audience will know, react to and put the idea in their mind that he might be coming in under that character) and attack whoever he's gonna be working with, then do the mask remove reveal.

Then if you intend to have him with Vickie, she can come out to the stage and do her trademark laugh.

Writes itself, bro.

I noticed he was wearing and drawing attention to a pendant of the La Sombra mask, but is there a cultural reason Andrade wouldn't readopt the mask? Rey Misterio lost his mask in WCW but still went back to it to great success, Stateside at least, but I can't think of any other luchador who did the same. It'd be a shame. There's something inexplicably cool about the suited luchador look.

Another mask note - this week was the first time I spotted Excalibur's mask appears to be some kind of bat?? So why the name Excalibur?

Edited by CavemanLynn
Thoughts thoughts thoughts

Really wish the Bucks would stop mugging directly into the camera lens whilst selling. It's match time, do the work and put your BTE comedy shit aside from bell to bell. 

44 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

I noticed he was wearing and drawing attention to a pendant of the La Sombra mask, but is there a cultural reason Andrade wouldn't readopt the mask? Rey Misterio lost his mask in WCW but still went back to it to great success, Stateside at least, but I can't think of any other luchador who did the same. It'd be a shame. There's something inexplicably cool about the suited luchador look.

Another mask note - this week was the first time I spotted Excalibur's mask appears to be some kind of bat?? So why the name Excalibur?

Pretty sure Rey got big heat at the time for wearing the mask again, his indie run post wcw I’m sure he was without. Plus when you look like Andrarde, masking him is a Waste when he’s already a known face 

• Paid Members

Vickie mumbling and screeching killed the impact of his debut. Crowd had no idea what she said, which defeats the purpose of her even being there. He looked the business though. Get him a decent mouth piece 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Vickie mumbling and screeching killed the impact of his debut. Crowd had no idea what she said, which defeats the purpose of her even being there. He looked the business though. Get him a decent mouth piece 

It’s as if they forgot they had Alex Abrahantes

Also to the mask thing, if you’re unmasked the rule is you can’t re-adopt the mask. I’m guessing his name change is for trademark purposes so they can market him with Action Figures and such.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Watchable show but surprisingly cold for a PPV follow up. 

Don't know if it's because of the Friday night death slot but they seem to be holding back, no surprise that Omega Vs. Jungle Boy is being saved for a Saturday which I'm guessing is a better slot. 

Debuting Andrade with Vickie is definitely an odd choice.

Not sure if surrounding Britt with a bunch of Dark scrubs (Nyla being the exception) is good look. Never noticed until now but Diamante is tiny.

Reckon it's going to be very hit and miss month ov TV. 

Oh yeah and The Factory finally going over in a bland TV tag match. Ogogo needs to chin and ditch that lot ASAP. 

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Really wish the Bucks would stop mugging directly into the camera lens whilst selling. It's match time, do the work and put your BTE comedy shit aside from bell to bell. 

They are the worst tag team I have ever seen large numbers of people call the best tag team in the world.

Nick has shown infinitely more character since turning heel and I like his mannerisms during the entrance and the early parts of their matches.

Matt on the other hand always acted like a smug prick before the heel turn, so nothing’s really changed there.

13 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Not sure if surrounding Britt with a bunch of Dark scrubs (Nyla being the exception) is good look. Never noticed until now but Diamante is tiny.

I liked it to be honest. You got some extra faces on TV and it's exactly what the Britt Baker I see on this show do. I get she's really over at the moment, but her character is still someone who made a success of themselves, but is so unbearable her only friends are really an announcer whom she uses to give out at occasionally, and a make-up artist she employs herself to be around.

I hope Britt has an amazing title run. I'm not sure what they do with it but Thunder Rosa taking the title and genuinely settling the score would be absolutely fantastic.

Edited by Chili

12 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Kind of a disappointment Andrade went with El Idolo and not La Sombra. Intro was weak, and I'd have much preferred him to walk straight into an angle that sets out who he is in AEW. Too many 'faces' in AEW now. The face of the network, then the face of the revolution, and now the face of AEW. All pretty meaningless, unless Andrade is going for a Model gimmick. I assume his mic work isn't up to much, and that's why they've paired him with Vicky on Lucha heritage value alone.

Then Vickie is a bizarre choice. Out of the two of them, Andrade did far better on the mic. Vickie was dreadful.

Talking of dreadful, QT Marshall once again proved that he’s mediocre at best at everything he does. His promo had no substance whatsoever once again, he has no presence in the ring...just ditch this bloody feud already. Given how rarely Cody takes a loss, even though this was far from clean, I can’t believe they gave a win over Cody to this clown. Why not give it to Ogogo? Heck, why not give the promo time to Ogogo, who is far more interesting on the mic than Marshall.

This was very much a show of continuation rather than new beginnings, which is rare for a post-PPV AEW show. Almost every segment kept an existing storyline going, and frankly, I’m a bit over all of the stories being continued. 

I appreciate that this was a Friday night show, but it was a damp squib follow-up to a great PPV. And as extreme as it sounds, I really hope Cody feels like he has unfinished business in WWE. I’ve given up on the guy finding form.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

Guerrero and Andrade are an odd pairing, for sure. But Andrade is a hell of a get for AEW - I'm not sure what their Latino audiences are like, but barring a Rey Mysterio, they've got a solid line-up, with Andrade, the Lucha Bros, and Proud and Powerful alone. It might be that they're putting Andrade with Vicky to remind Latino audiences that she's Eddie's widow.