The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Someone is supposedly ripping off the Penta gimmick and the real deal is just like "eh, if I'm inspiring someone then whatever". Nice lad.

spacer.png

I'd probably be a little more cautious about what look like big old swastika kneepads, mind

• Paid Members

So what do we reckon is going to happen at Blood & Guts? I think it's a certainty that The Pinnacle are winning but I'm not sure how. My best guess is Sammy surrendering to save Jericho or vice versa. 

I'm also fearful for Sammy's health, he's going to try and kill himself in this for sure. Shawn Spears is probably going to bleed buckets, this is probably his last chance to prove himself as being worth anything to wrestling fans. If he doesn't do anything to stand out no one will ever care about him. Santana and Ortiz feel on the cusp of really breaking out too so hopefully they have a good night. Everyone in the match (except Hager) have something to prove so I think it's going to be a brilliant spectacle. 

• Paid Members

I think I’ve only ever seen one War Games matches with a roof on the top of the cage. How often have guys fought on top of the cage? I can see Sammy launching himself off the top of it like a maniac, doing at least ten spins in the air.

I’m super excited. Considering the level of talent, with most guys wanting to prove something and stand out, with such a great storyline going into it. I can’t wait.

29 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Santana and Ortiz feel on the cusp of really breaking out too so hopefully they have a good night.

Santana very much reminds me of Eddie Kingston, with his promo style. He's completely believable, and as much as I enjoy the tag team, he could easily have a fantastic singles career in AEW. And I kind of hope he does. 

I'm also fearful for Sammy's health, he's going to try and kill himself in this for sure.

Sammy is the one Inner Circle member who isn't really clicking for me as a babyface. It's early days for sure, but I can't help but wonder if he's not one of those wrestlers who is simply better as a heel. 

So what do we reckon is going to happen at Blood & Guts? I think it's a certainty that The Pinnacle are winning but I'm not sure how. My best guess is Sammy surrendering to save Jericho or vice versa. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see the ending (or post match) involve Paul Wight. He's been very vocal about feeling motivated about an in ring return, and I'm pretty surprised at the fact he's only made one very minor appearance on Dynamite so far, and that was only to hype Elevation. I could see the next step in this storyline, however they get there, being Jerishow vs. MJF & Wardlow at the next PPV. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
Just now, Supremo said:

How often have guys fought on top of the cage?

Unless WCW did it toward the end, I don't think I've ever seen it done.

I was thinking that the other day - do we get a Hell In A Cell style breaking through the cage wall, to lead to excuses for high spots off the top, or are they going to stick rigidly to the traditional format and keep it more of a wild brawl because it was Dusty's match and that sort of thing is important to Cody? 

I'm expecting we get a major debut or a significant storyline step forward in some respect on this episode, because they're going to presumably have so many eyes on it in the first place, it would be a missed opportunity not to book a big surprise if they have one available. 

• Paid Members

For me, this is the most anticipated I have been for a match in AEW. The build (although short) has been brilliant with both sides knocking it out of the park. I feel this will be Santana and Ortiz' coming out party and will lead to them eventually dethroning the Bucks for the titles. 

If this episode doesn't break 1.25 million viewers, ill be amazed.  

• Paid Members

12 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Santana very much reminds me of Eddie Kingston, with his promo style. He's completely believable, and as much as I enjoy the tag team, he could easily have a fantastic singles career in AEW. And I kind of hope he does. 

Santana feels like a huge future babyface in the making. He's always watchable, he's believable as hell, and he's a great looking lad with a rough edge. What's not to love? After Hangman, he'd be my #2 long-term project in AEW if I was running things - he's money.

11 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Unless WCW did it toward the end, I don't think I've ever seen it done.

One of the images in the hype package was Sting on top of the cage, and it looked like he was fighting someone - was that just a post-match celebration point? I'm guessing it was the Sting Squadron vs Dangerous Alliance match, which I've never seen.

17 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'm expecting we get a major debut or a significant storyline step forward in some respect on this episode, because they're going to presumably have so many eyes on it in the first place, it would be a missed opportunity not to book a big surprise if they have one available. 

While I'd put money on it not happening, the possibility of Daniel Bryan turning up is unbelievably exciting. The last couple of years have really reminded me how speculation about roster-jumping was one of the most fun things about the Monday Night Wars era. This would be a hell of a show to do it on, and Khan's got to have reached out by now.

27 minutes ago, Nick James said:

For me, this is the most anticipated I have been for a match in AEW. The build (although short) has been brilliant with both sides knocking it out of the park. I feel this will be Santana and Ortiz' coming out party and will lead to them eventually dethroning the Bucks for the titles. 

If this episode doesn't break 1.25 million viewers, ill be amazed.  

I don't think it will. I think the "Blood and Guts" branding has the potential to put some people off - if you're a parent, for example, you may want to give this episode a miss. It may well break the million viewer mark, but I'm not sure that it'll do much better than that. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I don't think it will. I think the "Blood and Guts" branding has the potential to put some people off - if you're a parent, for example, you may want to give this episode a miss. It may well break the million viewer mark, but I'm not sure that it'll do much better than that. 

Dynamite has regular swearing and blood, I don't think Blood & Guts will put anyone off. Especially not their key demographic and target audience of 18-39 year old men. Americans love violence. It's sex that puts them off.

8 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I really hope they don't go with a big swerve or debut. As long as the match is exciting and has an emotional and dramatic ending then I'll be happy.

I think you're right there. This should be big enough to exist by itself and deliver on its own. It doesn't need anything else. Saying that, maybe Kane will turn up and rip the door off.

Well this has been Cody's dream since day one, he started laying down the foundations in the first few weeks of Dynamite with his 'The match beyond' tease in a promo so i actually am intrigued because I foresee him agenting  this match (even with all the vets involved)

13 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Dynamite has regular swearing and blood, I don't think Blood & Guts will put anyone off. Especially not their key demographic and target audience of 18-39 year old men. Americans love violence. It's sex that puts them off.

The example I'd use to counter that is Thunder Rosa vs. Britt Baker - despite the match creating quite the buzz, the ratings actually dropped the week after, and the week after that. There could, of course, be other reasons for that; but I find that surprising. 

It might score well with the key demographic, but from an overall point of view I'm not sure the name is a huge positive, but time will tell. It's very rare that a company telegraphs violence in a match so explicitly, and I absolutely accept that doing so could work either way in terms of drawing a rating.