The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Was a decent episode. The Inner Circle/Pinnacle segment was really good. Some cracking promos cut there. 

Brian Cage beating Hangman Page was a shock. Presumably he's going to wrestle Christian Cage at some point. 

I hope they're not setting up Ethan Page as the next TNT champion. I think I'd rather have Page & Sky Vs Sting and Darby Allin. 

Miro is a beast. 

Twitter's been having fun with the Tessa news the past couple of days, that'd be one hell of a way to spunk away all your good will tho, especially when the women's division was really starting to stand out too.

31 minutes ago, Nick James said:

AEW reportedly in advanced talks with Tessa Blanchard and Daga, all but a formality according to WhatCulture. Interesting signing if true, I would have thought AEW would have been the last company to sign Tessa, (especially with the Impact links) due to the reports of bullying and racism. 

https://whatculture.com/wwe/tessa-blanchard-and-husband-daga-heading-to-aew 

Sounds like another jobs for mates signing, seeing as Tessa's dad works in AEW and Daga, Tessa's husband, has no upside IMO versus the much more colourful and exciting luchadors they already have. But yes, I agree it's an odd signing in light of the allegations last year. If/when she does come in, it'll be interesting to see where she fits. As much as she achieved in Impact, AEW have spent too much time investing in their women's division (if not in screen time then definitely training) to parachute Tessa in at the top, and a combo of her onscreen character and aforementioned bullying claims makes me wonder whether she'll be Ivelisse but with talent.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:12 AM, LaGoosh said:

Unfortunate, but it was always going to be a potential drawback to being on a top network. Didn't this always used to happen with WCW too?

I understand that it'd never happen because we're the minority and the NBA and its audience is the majority, but I wish with stuff like this, that real sports had to work around wrestling. I couldn't give the slightest shit about basketball (or most sports really). Wish that they'd go, "well, we can't have our game on TNT Wednesday night because AEW Dynamite is on, we'll shoot our hoops on Friday night instead." 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Was a decent episode. The Inner Circle/Pinnacle segment was really good. Some cracking promos cut there. 

Brian Cage beating Hangman Page was a shock. Presumably he's going to wrestle Christian Cage at some point. 

I hope they're not setting up Ethan Page as the next TNT champion. I think I'd rather have Page & Sky Vs Sting and Darby Allin. 

Miro is a beast. 

Hangman Page & Christian Cage vs Ethan Page & Brian Cage, winners get the rights to use the surnames Page and Cage respectively.

I know we criticise WWE for going Bubba Poon on most of their new signings but at least it avoids scenarios  like this.

34 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Hangman Page & Christian Cage vs Ethan Page & Brian Cage, winners get the rights to use the surnames Page and Cage respectively.

I know we criticise WWE for going Bubba Poon on most of their new signings but at least it avoids scenarios  like this.

It's really not confusing though. For me, that's why I dislike a lot of WWE naming conventions... there's the underlying assumption that people will get mixed up, "oh, Adam, you need to change your name because we already have an Adam" or "last names only, full names are too complicated". Like wrestling fans are too dumb to comprehend people sharing names.

No one is ever going to think that Christian Cage and Brian Cage are the same guy.

• Paid Members

There's nothing wrong with several wrestlers having the same surname, it's not as if everybody in the world has a unique surname. It is still weird seeing Christian being all "serious business" though. Not that he isn't doing a good job of it, it just feels very unlike him. 

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

it's not as if everybody in the world has a unique surname. 

I know that, but when you’re in a business where you get to choose your own name, why wouldn’t you want to be unique?

• Paid Members

My guess would be that at the time Brian Cage started wrestling Christian was probably in WWE and not using the Cage surname. Similarly I'd imagine Ethan Page never thought he'd be in the same company as Adam or Diamond Dallas, so didn't see the problem either. 

• Paid Members

Seems after years of WWE being unhappy with but letting him do his own thing, AEW have had YouTube hit Maffew of BotchAMania with two copyright strikes with the third being the closure of the channel.

Guessing internet Tony isn't such a big fan of being made fun of, which is all the better considering I swear I've heard Excalibur on commentary using references from the videos before too.

2 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Seems after years of WWE being unhappy with but letting him do his own thing, AEW have had YouTube hit Maffew of BotchAMania with two copyright strikes with the third being the closure of the channel.

Guessing internet Tony isn't such a big fan of being made fun of, which is all the better considering I swear I've heard Excalibur on commentary using references from the videos before too.

I thought they'd taken that back and apologised and worked with him over it? Or did I read a fake update somewhere.