The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Apparently people wanted Jericho to fall on rock hard cement and cripple himself judging by the twitter and forum discourse this morning. 

The match itself was great until the "match beyond". Had they shaved 5 to 10 mins off the match it would have awesome. Tbf it's not an AEW problem but a modern wrestling problem. You can do epic without going more than half an hour. Watch Bret vs Austin at Wrestlemania 13 for proof on that. Also the timing of the final ad break was rubbish. It could have been worse though had the Kenny and Orange segment not gone an hour. 

Britt is awesome

Can we stop the "QT is rubbish" narrative. That was a fucking fantastic match with Cody and QT. Also, Anthony Agogo is awesome. 

I really want someone to punch the Young Bucks very hard, which is why they are the best heels in wrestling right now

I enjoyed the show but one thing is nagging me. What is going on with Double or Nothing. It feels like what should be the card won't be the card. They've been teasing Omega/Kingston for 2 months but we're getting Omega/Cassidy which will be fun but doesn't feel like a PPV match right now. Bucks/SCU on a weeks build that should be the PPV match. I'm guessing it'll be:

Omega vs Cassidy

Bucks vs Mox/Kingston

Cage vs Cage (hopefully in a Steel Cage with interference by Adam Page) 

Shida vs Baker

Cody vs Agogo

Sting/Archer vs Ethan Page/Scorpio Sky

Something with the Inner Circle and Pinnacle 

It'll be good but it feels like it could be better. The women's title match is the only must see right now. 

It also feels like Miro killing Darby is coming too early too. 

15 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

Apparently people wanted Jericho to fall on rock hard cement and cripple himself judging by the twitter and forum discourse this morning. 

I think I fall into the same group as most people - I have no interest in seeing him take a stupid bump, but at least make it look decent. It's not difficult to shoot it properly.

16 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

Can we stop the "QT is rubbish" narrative. That was a fucking fantastic match with Cody and QT.

Absolutely not. It'll take far more to convince me that he's not rubbish. He's just less rubbish than he was.

• Paid Members

To be fair, this 'people are expecting him to kill himself' rhetoric seems a bit of a stretch. From what I've seen, the complaints have been about how it was filmed from the angle, rather than the soft landing. Anyone who doesn't think 90% of big bumps involve some kind of crash mat are naïve (unless its a Darby Allin bump). 

19 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

I don't think it's that at all. Not entirely at least. The match didn't need that spot to impress, so why do it? And if you are going to do it, after the underwhelming exploding ring spot, at least be careful about how it's shot. The padding was clearly visible, yet at no point did they bother changing the camera angle. 

24 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

Can we stop the "QT is rubbish" narrative. That was a fucking fantastic match with Cody and QT. Also, Anthony Agogo is awesome. 

I didn't enjoy it much, but framing it as a "QT is rubbish" narrative isn't completely accurate. It's not about his in ring ability, it's about what he has to offer in comparison to the push he's getting, particularly when there are far more talented wrestlers on that roster who aren't featured on TV regularly in favour of Marshall - people like Pac, Penta, Fenix, Nyla Rose, Shida (they're frigging Women's Champion) and Jungle Boy to name a few. 

31 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

It also feels like Miro killing Darby is coming too early too. 

I agree with this. I'd like to see him maul a few more wrestlers before going after Darby, to really get over how dangerous he is. The Sabian angle was a strong start, but I feel like I'd like to have seen a little bit more of Miro beating the crap out of people before getting that title shot. 

• Paid Members

Anyone making out like it’s a binary choice between crap-looking bumps or actual death via concrete can get in the bin. There are loads of ways to do a big bump safely without aiming a camera directly at someone falling into a water bed.

I’m not too worried though. This company have proven themselves to be the kings of coming back from misfires. They’ve already set it up. Orange Cassidy getting a World Title shot in front of a full capacity crowd? Fuck yes! I’m counting the days!

24 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’m not too worried though. This company have proven themselves to be the kings of coming back from misfires. They’ve already set it up. Orange Cassidy getting a World Title shot in front of a full capacity crowd? Fuck yes! I’m counting the days!

If Double or Nothing is in front of a capacity crowd, I hope they move the main camera so we can see some of it.

I know there has been fans in Dynamite for a while, but watching it on TV it still feels like we're watching empty arena shows.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Anyone making out like it’s a binary choice between crap-looking bumps or actual death via concrete can get in the bin. There are loads of ways to do a big bump safely without aiming a camera directly at someone falling into a water bed.

Exactly, it's not an either/or thing. They could have done this bump and shot it better, or just not end the match with this bump. It's not like it was required.

My biggest take away from the show is that nobody can pace a WarGames match anymore.

I enjoyed it but like the WWE efforts I bothered with, I feel no desire to watch it again.

I've seen enough shit bumps to not let Jericho's bother me too much but fucking hell I'm struggling to recall a time a wrestler so blatantly got his blade ready.

That annoyed me more than it reasonably should. 

Edit. 

Just read some of the replies to Shotzi's trolling.

Fucking hell. Seems like most wrestling fans really are a humourless bunch of cocks. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Paid Members

I mostly enjoyed the Blood and Guts match. It was ugly, rough, nasty and brutal looking which is what I wanted. WWE war games matches are usually TLC-like spotfests so a version of it where it was angry dudes just mauling each other was a nice change. About 2/3rds of the way through it seemed to just slow to a crawl though. Most of them seemed too exhausted to do anything, I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them were concussed. It definitely could have been better though. Probably should have shaved off 5-10 minutes.

The ending was pretty much what I predicted. I'm fine with the crash pad landing. Both WWE and AEW have done this a whole bunch of times. Neither of them seem capable of effectively shooting someone falling onto a safety pad without clearly showing the safety pads for some reason. Surely just keeping it at a wide angle would be enough? No need for those close ups. This wasn't anywhere near as bad as say Undertaker chokeslamming and then elbow dropping Triple H onto a mattress at Wrestlemania 17 or Shane and Miz falling onto a 6 foot high blowup bed a few yeas ago. Or Jeff Hardy diving onto Randy Orton inside a massive empty box. Fucking hell, there's endless terrible crash pad moments from wrestling.

JR was on shocking form all night. "Fartherest" isn't a word Jim, you old twat.

Kenny Omega's promo was long and dull. Apparently he invented wearing sunglasses or something? Although I think the eventual Omega/OC match will be cracking.

Kenny's promo wasn't as bad as Sky and Page's though. Scorpio Sky is one of the most generic heels in history. Darby diving around like a lunatic is always great but shouldn't be wasted on these two scrubs.

Miro, short and sweet. He's gonna' murder everyone and I'm excited.

"Cody's announcement for Double or Nothing" who cares? Why does he get a special announcement? Fuck off Cody.

Next week looks like it's going to be a banger. This week was ok but after the Exploding ring dud AEW need to be very careful with these big gimmick matches.

4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Kenny Omega's promo was long and dull. Apparently he invented wearing sunglasses or something? Although I think the eventual Omega/OC match will be cracking.

I quite liked the sunglasses line, the fact that Omega is so delusional that he thinks he popularised sunglasses wearing fits his character. 

5 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

"Cody's announcement for Double or Nothing" who cares? Why does he get a special announcement? Fuck off Cody.

I'm pretty sure his opponent will be Anthony Ogogo, but I suppose there's a chance his opponent will be a new signing (justifying the announcement), and the Ogogo feud will be TV only/culminate at a later show. 

2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm pretty sure his opponent will be Anthony Ogogo, but I suppose there's a chance his opponent will be a new signing (justifying the announcement), and the Ogogo feud will be TV only/culminate at a later show. 

Cody could be going for a piss and he'd probably want to announce it.

• Paid Members

Just rewatched the final bump. Firstly, it should be noted that it's a pretty mental bump for a 50 year old man to take regardless of landing on a pad. Free falling onto his back too must have been terrifying. Most guys tend to a somersault bump.

But mainly it's the production crew who are at fault here as it took a huge moment and diminished its impact through a few errors.

- Firstly, when Inner Circle surrendered they didn't immediately play The Pinnacles music. Then they did for about 5 seconds before cutting it off for no reason which completely gave away that MJF was going to throw Jericho off.

- Then they show Jericho clearly talking to MJF on camera so it's obvious what they are doing.

- Then they cut to this shot:

1.thumb.JPG.d4018693f81e80f83594dd663c4eaf51.JPG

So at this point it's very obvious Jericho is about to be thrown onto a crash pad. You can even see the lines on the box where the pad is going to break.

- MJF throws Jericho, the angle they use for the fall is pretty good but it's so close to the pad that when Jericho lands it basically shows the whole thing and completely takes you out the moment. It's at a moment like this that they should have taken a leaf out of Kevin Dunn's book and thrown in a cut. Two angles on the replays show that this could have been done really effectively. I know hindsight is everything but they could have practiced the bump with one of the Dark jobbers before the show to ensure they shot it right.

- So they could have taken this wide shot of the fall which is really spectacular:

2.thumb.JPG.d8b01c5ba7ea747a15ab2027e0de1d96.JPG

Then just as Jericho lands cut to this shot, which didn't look very good for the fall but because of camera placement being at the back of the mat behind the lights most the padding is hidden and the impact is really brutal looking:

3.thumb.JPG.591c0a2d047d1438d8b0db936df20018.JPG

- Then when you have all the medical staff around Jericho just keeps the camera as far back as possible so no one can see the pads.

So I'm being nitpicky but if AEW want to do these huge stunts they need to get their shit together. Or bite the bullet and do them pre-taped instead of live so they can fix any issues.

However, the crew are great at capturing the big character moments. Look at this beauty of a victorious MJF:

5.JPG.afe32f052f65abf63e27b02948dccfea.JPG