The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I really liked the video package at the start for Cody vs Guevara, and the match itself. Wasn’t impressed by anything else on the show, but pleasantly surprised by the Jack Swagger appearance. I wouldn’t have thought of him as someone to sign because he’s fair shite, but after seeing it, he stands out on this roster because of how little everyone else is - and he’s got few enough internet points that he can be an effective heel. 

Speaking of effective heels, I was a bit disappointed by PAC and MJF, they’ve both had much better nights. I get that they probably didn’t want to take the shine off Jericho and crew, but I was let down by the performances of two of my favourite wrestling baddies.

Overall, it didn’t feel like a big mission statement first show or anything that’s going to bring all the lapsed fans back to wrestling. It felt very sustainable, which is good, but it didn’t set a tone of being unmissable. Jericho and Cody came off as the biggest stars, which is the main event for the PPV so that’s also good.

Was a fun show and an easy watch, if they can keep that up I’ll watch weekly for sure. I won’t be watching on FITE again because it was hit an miss keeping me entertained during the ad breaks. Just having the announcers chatting would have been enough.

Hager has always been decent in the ring but needs character work to go with it. They should give him a Make Wrestling Great Again character, those hats would fly off the shelves and it’s a gimmick WWE can’t touch because of their political ties. His outfit screamed dickhead republican, which instantly made me want to see him get slapped about. Give him a TV title and have him declare he is going to hold it for  “four more years” 

• Paid Members

The show felt like a big event, and looked fantastic, especially compared to NXT at Full Sail. 

The video package before Cody/Guevara was exactly what they should have done before all of the matches on this show. Take one match off the show and use that time to give the rest of them ninety seconds-two minutes each, to give a bit of background on the guys and girls, who a lot of people could be seeing for the first time. 

The announcing was a definite upgrade on any of the shows they have done up to this point. 

PAC and Hangman wasn't that great, but PAC winning cleanly again was the right move. He's on an upward trajectory, but I can't see him facing Jericho and I don't think Jericho loses the belt to Cody yet either. I'm not sure who PAC faces next without it seeming like a backward step.

I think AEW have made a right balls up of this nonsense about not wanting to have DQ's and count outs. So every match is no disqualification and no doubt out then, aye? Not calling for a DQ when Ambrose entered the ring is stupid. If you don't want to do a DQ don't do the spot. They've done something like this several times as well, and it doesn't make any sense.

When Hager first showed his face, I did get the 'this is a bit TNA' kind of feel. Then I saw him stood next to everyone else and he dwarfes them. He's a big, agile guy, and if he's brought in to be Jericho's bodyguard then I think that's a perfectly fine slot for him. Being able to push the MMA fighter angle as well is good cross promotion if AEW can swing it with Bellator.