The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Michael_3165 said:

Jesus christ how incompetent are these people. They can get live BGT nonsense on weekly but can't get a fuckin taped wrestling show on a day after it was filmed. This surely isn't that hard. It makes the whole deal look as those itv aren't interested. Even if they are. 

Live TV has been going for many decades, video on demand much less. Also usually most people don't give a fuck about a show going up at a certain time, because its been broadcast live so all the incels will watch it then, and the rest will watch it whenever. All that means that there is not really the investment or urgency in getting on demand stuff up a quick or easy process. 

This all felt so WCW at times, which is a good thing.  That final match with the run ins, the surprises, the beat downs - great fun.  Jericho looks AWFUL but if he leans into it for character then it's great.  He's still physically larger than most of the rest of the roster.  Moxley is their one other genuine star to me - looks cool, pops the crowd.

The commentary was good, production was good, so a cautious thumbs up from me.  They need better wrestlers though - so many of them felt like cheap knock offs of more famous acts- Nia Jax, DDP, LAX, Hardy Boys.  Even Cody seems to be channeling early 90s Hogan.  That said, I thought Hangman Page seemed like a decent face to get behind.

Thing is though, compare it with the alternative and NXT wins round 1 - better matches, more drama, cooler style IMO.

• Paid Members

I'll be honest, when I first read the posts on here and elsewhere that it was all basically in-ring action, my heart sank and I expected to hate this.

But thankfully, having just got round to watching it, I'm so glad I did.

Echoing the earlier sentiments about having a WCW feel. I'm sure that's at least partially on purpose but it certainly does it for me and liked the early references to the first TNT Wrestling show since 2001 etc.

Loving the 'big arena' setting and hot crowd, yet not coming across as "Hollywood" and ridiculously over-produced, which is the feeling I get when stumbling across WWE programming.

Quite frankly, I didn't realise until now how much I've missed watching a show with good production values and a big, hot crowd that generally cheers and boo's who they're meant to.

Being largely lapsed from anything that isn't Impact Wrestling these days, I didn't have a clue who anyone was apart from the big names. But I felt they did a great job of putting over Sami Guevarra in the opener and later on commentary they managed to introduce (to what I presume is a much wider audience) some of the other lesser known names.

I can't get over how comforting it is to hear JR and Schiavone on commentary, a warming glow of nostalgia. Didn't know who Excalibur was before but he was a good addition as colour guy.

TBH I still can't see myself getting into the "Being the Elite" and Youtube stuff etc, but the biggest accolade I can give AEW is that the show will now be going on my SkyQ Series Link. 

Edited by garynysmon

21 minutes ago, Loki said:

Thing is though, compare it with the alternative and NXT wins round 1 - better matches, more drama, cooler style IMO.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to embedding tweets in a forum post, but early reports suggest AEW did 0.7 and NXT did 0.5 in the overnight Nielsen ratings. 

So actually, AEW wins round 1. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Michael_3165 said:

Jesus christ how incompetent are these people. They can get live BGT nonsense on weekly but can't get a fuckin taped wrestling show on a day after it was filmed. This surely isn't that hard. It makes the whole deal look as those itv aren't interested. Even if they are. 

Get real. Are you honestly comparing one of Britain's consistently highest rating shows with late night fake fighting bullshit on niche ITV4?

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, iPumaPants said:

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to embedding tweets in a forum post, but early reports suggest AEW did 0.7 and NXT did 0.5 in the overnight Nielsen ratings. 

I'm out of touch with what is decent these days but that doesn't sound great for either on the face of it. Any decent analysis?

16 minutes ago, iPumaPants said:

Or, to put it another way, a 'bunch of developmental guys' came close to the same ratings as AEW.... ;) 

• Paid Members

Mental. Imagine even a year ago thinking, “in twelve months time we’re going to be in a place in the business where WWE are releasing a concession speech after losing to a competitor in a ratings war.”

EDIT: Numbers look to be in.

AEW: 1.4 million viewers

NXT: 891,000 viewers

*fast forward two weeks*

“What’s Stone Cold Steve Austin doing at Full Sail?!”

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Get real. Are you honestly comparing one of Britain's consistently highest rating shows with late night fake fighting bullshit on niche ITV4?

And that view of the product is obviously why ITV don’t deserve it

• Paid Members

I thought it was a solid first show. There was a lot to like about it and definitely points to a better future.

First off, what a difference big Tony made to the broadcast. His voice will forever take me back to my childhood, but he's just really good at the gig. Where as before it felt really clunky, awkward and amateur, Tony seemed to know exactly when and what to say to keep everyone running along nicely. Clearly JR thought the show was alright too because he wasn't telling the audience how baffling it was.

The general production was nice too. Not exactly game changing, but different and fresh enough to stand out from WWEs formula.

I was worried they were going to overload the show with folk, but they did a tremendous job giving us just enough for the two hours. Although the main event was exciting, so much happened that most of it will probably get lost, as they threw everything at it.

I'm delighted they're immediately having a big heel group smash The Elite (and Dustin is still about for a run). There are a lot of possibilities for this down the line.

Swagger is just a big gormless bugger. All the good work of his beat down and "he's undefeated at the real stuff" was wiped away instantly at the end when he looked he wasn't sure if he locked the door. I'm pleased for them if they can make him work, but it's Jack Swagger.

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

I saw it suggested online that Jericho’s crew should be called the “Bubbly Club.”

CC786536-7570-4E18-AE45-DFD4229EC950.thumb.jpeg.0e9125d47cad49a78cdabcf7eb5095f7.jpeg

Good shit. 

Terry Gilliam, innit.