The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

51 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Rhio vs Nyla Rose massively overdelivered for me, and was probably my favourite match of the night. The best performance by either woman since AEW started, and I still find it surreal to see Rhio given this opportunity. Not sure about Nyla being suddenly repositioned as a heel, as much as it made sense for the size dynamic in this match - it feels a bit lazy to go "big woman = baddy", particularly when said big woman has now lost more often than she's won, and when you've also got Awesome and Aja Kong on the roster.

Honestly surprised that anyone viewed that match as positively as this. Saying it was their best performance isn't really saying much at all. The crowd certainly elevated it but I found it to be sloppy and really disappointing, which is starting to be a trend with the AEW womens matches. After everything we've seen in recent years from Japan, through TNA and NXT, it feels like AEW are struggling in this department.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

For all of Tony Khan's criticism of the Invisible Camera, I was disappointed to see, very early on, a shot of Jericho and LAX in their locker room discussing strategy, seemingly oblivious to the presence of a cameraman.

I thought JR did brilliantly to save that by apologising to Jericho and his team for using the audio on the telly feed while they were discussing strategy. By JR doing that, it indicates it was more of a UFC/boxing deal where they agreed to being filmed in the locker room pre match.

It's really exciting time with AEW about. The fact they're doing business with their attendance shouldn't be underestimated considering TNA tried it for telly and effectively ruined the company financially.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

For all of Tony Khan's criticism of the Invisible Camera, I was disappointed to see, very early on, a shot of Jericho and LAX in their locker room discussing strategy, seemingly oblivious to the presence of a cameraman.

Jim Ross apologised for them eves dropping on the conversation and said they didn't actually hear anything of interest which I thought covered it quite well.

58 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

There was a lot of repeated spots. I counted three springboard stunners in one show, two in the same match, two consecutive matches featured a Standing Shooting Star Press (with one also featuring a top-rope SSP), and every single match had a dive to the outside.

NXT isn't much better for this. There were two Canadian destroyer things in the first match and then another in the women's match that followed it.

At this point, I'm almost crying out for Bill Watts to come in and ban top rope moves and stop dives to the outside by removing the mats. Needs a hard reset.

15 hours ago, Mark_Doctor said:

Enjoyed that more than any other AEW show they've had. How much better was JR by the way? A world of difference when he isn't announcing with people he despises. 

Yeah signing Tony was a smart move. Definitely helped motivate JR.

Solid a announce team.

• Paid Members

7 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I thought JR did brilliantly to save that by apologising to Jericho and his team for using the audio on the telly feed while they were discussing strategy. By JR doing that, it indicates it was more of a UFC/boxing deal where they agreed to being filmed in the locker room pre match.

Yeah, that was a really good touch. And for all the almost meaningless talk of AEW being presented more like a "real sport", JR's commentary is one of the closest things they have to nailing that approach. If that sort of pre-match locker room footage is all we get, I'm fine with it, I just don't want to see authority figures' "offices" being conveniently filmed moments before someone walks in to demand a match, or people conspiring "secretly" with a camera crew on hand. 

5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

NXT isn't much better for this. There were two Canadian destroyer things in the first match and then another in the women's match that followed it.

It's been a problem for wrestling as a whole for years, and NXT has been one of the worst offenders - main roster WWE has a habit of it too, which is a more recent development. It really shouldn't be an issue.

I know promotions that have "sign-up sheets" backstage, with a list of things like "suicide dive", "fighting outside the ring", "weapon spot" and so on, and if the promoter has something specific in mind, he'll fill in the spots to the right matches. Anything left over is up for grabs, but only to the first people to sign up to those spots. I've been at shows where the pre-show speech from the booker has been, "this is happening in the main event, so no one else do it. Does anyone else have a spot they're planning that they want protecting?". It's not hard - and these are companies that don't have Dean Malenko and Arn Anderson agenting for them!

Going off on a tangent now, but I've always felt like there should be a broad outline for a standard wrestling show, and it should look something like this.

Match 1: clear face/heel dynamic, small amounts of comedy (i.e., heel getting frustrated and throwing a tantrum, rather than a "comedy spot"), no effective cheating from the referee, match remains entirely within the ring.
Match 2: Heel maybe gaining more of an upper hand through cheating. Heel leaving the ring, using that to his advantage. Establish that it's within the rules to exit the ring, but it's a heel move.
Match 3: This would be the earliest time in a card where I'd want to see dives. You've taught the audience that the match takes place in the ring, and that it's a heel/cowardly move to escape the ring to try and get away from the match, so now you have the babyface dive out of the ring to not allow the heel to get away with it.

Beyond that, the remainder of the card should be filled in from the main event down, establishing the precedents you need in order to give the key points of the main event maximum impact. It's about managing the ebb and flow of the audience's reaction, but also teaching them how they can expect a wrestling match to operate then, bit-by-bit, subverting those expectations. If you do everything in your opening match - and this opening match had dives, top rope "avalanche" versions of moves before we'd even established what the regular moves were, springboards, manager interference and kick-outs from high spots - where can you go from there?

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Weren't there flames and fireworks for his entrance?

Wait, didn't they also have it raining dollar bills for the Bucks?

Yes but the whole screen didn't move for them to make a grand entrance. 

• Paid Members

What's the problem? The first guy out is a guy the live audience know is the owner of the company, any casual audience know from WWE and he's the challenger for the title at the next PPV which they put over in the pre-match package. Everything about it said he's a big deal.

I didn't say it was a problem, I said I laughed. You know exactly why I laughed at the VP of a new promotion who smashed up a throne partly as a gag against HHH's epic WrestleMania entrances got the big entrance way changing entrance that no one else got. 

I really enjoyed the show and have to say appart from Swagger Jagger it exceeded my expectations. Riho winning over Rose is a great story. Fans were into it and all the matches had some emotion than them rather than just movezzz with no facial expressions. Fite have got my subscription. Would love another wrestling boom period but we'll have to wait and see.

Mjf and Pac are shit hot, Guevara just needs a bit more work on his character and he'll be up there.

1.4m viewers, so pleased for them 😊

Edited by Worthits

I watched about half on this on ITV Hub so a bunch was cut out. I had no idea who any of the people were or what any of the storylines were. I didn’t know until I’d read online after that Cody was number one contender for the title, never mind that his match had his title shot on the line. (Who was that guy he faced anyway? Why did he get a shot at Cody’s spot? Why was he so awful?) I stopped watching during the women’s match as as much as the matches were good, I was clueless as to what was going on. 

Tony Schiavone was brilliant. That’s how announcing should be done. Murallo should take a leaf out of his book on how to make things sound big time. Shout is not the way. JR was ok. He kept talking over the other two a lot but at least he didn’t sound bored like normal.  

23 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I watched about half on this on ITV Hub so a bunch was cut out. I had no idea who any of the people were or what any of the storylines were. I didn’t know until I’d read online after that Cody was number one contender for the title, never mind that his match had his title shot on the line. (Who was that guy he faced anyway? Why did he get a shot at Cody’s spot? Why was he so awful?) I stopped watching during the women’s match as as much as the matches were good, I was clueless as to what was going on. 

Tony Schiavone was brilliant. That’s how announcing should be done. Murallo should take a leaf out of his book on how to make things sound big time. Shout is not the way. JR was ok. He kept talking over the other two a lot but at least he didn’t sound bored like normal.  

Honestly how much explaining does pro wrestling require???? It's hardly like you dived into Twin Peaks half way through its run!

• Paid Members
Just now, Snitsky's back acne said:

In fairness, if it wasn't explained, the fact that Cody is the number one contender should have been explained and pushed, as should the jeopardy of him losing that shot were he to have lost. I agree we don't need beating over the head with it but it does seem 'Wrestling 101' personally.

It was explained very well. Presumably cut from the ITV version.