The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

We’re on show 1.

Were people really expecting 2 hours worth of packages explaining who people are? They’ve been hyping this for months and have put out TONS of content explaining who people are.

If you’re coming out of watching their first show saying “well I don’t know who anyone is and why they’re feuding with each other”  then you’re not giving it a chance at all.

They have put out content on the internet and PPV for months yes. TNT, meanwhile, have also been pumping out adverts and billboards promoting a new wrestling show.

Now do you think that everyone watching Dynamite on Wednesday had bought one of the earlier PPV' / been following the Youtube series, or were genuinely intrigued to see what this new show was all about?

I'm willing to bet that a good portion of the audience on Wednesday were casual fans exposed only to the WWE or lapsed fans who may not have watched for several years. The idea that you should only be watching wrestling if you're willing to dive into the deep end beforehand and do your own research is pretty absurd tbh.

When the WWE started doing Saturday Night's Main Event again in the mid 2000's, they even had a vignette before the start introducing the new network TV audience to all the wrestlers. I'm not explicitly saying that's the way forward, but some kind of introduction wouldn't go amiss.

Edited by garynysmon

If you’re a casual fan you’re not gonna sit through the show complaining that you don’t know the storylines or the wrestlers, they seemed to do fine in the ratings and if a portion of the fans were only exposed to the WWE which maybe the case I’m sure they would have been aware that there was another wrestling show on at the same time and flicked over to watch that instead.

Put it this way I watch Eastenders on Christmas Day and Christmas Day only, they pump out 4 shows a week, I’m not going to sit there for an hour thinking “well this is shit, I don’t know who anyone is apart from Ian Beale” I’m going to enjoy it for what it is and know something will kick off in the last 5 minutes.

40 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

WWE show video montages before each match on PPVs showing you a quick round up of the feud and how we got to the match happening. That’s all I wanted. It’s the first TV show so a quick round up of what’s happened on the previous PPVs really helps for getting the casual wrestling fans, like me, into the show who are checking it out for the first time because it’s on free Tv. 

This was a TV episode, not a PPV. Also, WWE don’t show video packages before every match on a PPV. They’ll only do it for a handful of matches, which is what AEW did. 

• Paid Members

In their defence, they did air a Countdown show on TNT the night before, which consisted entirely of the top-shelf YouTube stuff, and it did an impressively high number, so maybe that's why they didn't feel the need to show that stuff again?

Now that I've had a few days to digest it, my main criticism of the show remains my main problem with modern pro-wrestling overall - there's just too much actual wrestling! We're in a period where almost everyone is a good wrestler and good matches are two-a-penny, so now more than ever it's the characters and stories that I crave. I can't be doing with wrestling for wrestling's sake. That MJF match was the main offender. I'm not surprised at all that ITV cut it out. Sure, it got over that MJF is an insufferable, cheating prick, but did it really need to go as long as it did? Brandon Cutler's never going to amount to anything, so do we really need to see him making a comeback and doing a dive? On an AEW show in particular, does a glorified jobber really need to be doing yet another dive?! Can't this time be better spent doing a few fun vignettes?

Perfect example - that VIP Area where Moxley eventually killed Kenny Omega. Could that not have been established earlier in the show to get over some other characters? They literally have a Tag Team called Private Party, for fuck's sake. Could they not have spent thirty seconds here or there cutting to them having a few drinks with babyfaces, with heels being refused entry? That whole Kevin Smith thing would've been far better suited to that setting. Kevin and Jay having some drinks with Private Party, interviewed about their movie, then Evans and Angelico try unsuccessfully to crash the party. Maybe the bouncers kick them out because Private Party don't like their shoes or whatever.

As it was, I'm still not entirely sure what the fuck even happened. Jack Evans and Agelico came out during Kevin Smith's interview for his shit film, then Private Party sort of appeared, but were then ejected, and nothing really made any sense whatsoever. In fact, now I've came up with it, shots of babyfaces milling about in the VIP Area would have been perfect for the FITE feed, for whenever the TNT feed went to ad breaks. I'd much rather see a couple of undercard babyfaces messing around and doing drinking games or something than wide shots of empty seats with Jim Ross shouting, "what?" over it.

Edited by Supremo

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

In their defence, they did air a Countdown show on TNT the night before, which consisted entirely of the top-shelf YouTube stuff, and it did an impressively high number, so maybe that's why they didn't feel the need to show that stuff again?

Now that I've had a few days to digest it, my main criticism of the show remains my main problem with modern pro-wrestling overall - there's just too much actual wrestling! We're in a period where almost everyone is a good wrestler and good matches are two-a-penny, so now more than ever it's the characters and stories that I crave. I can't be doing with wrestling for wrestling's sake. That MJF match was the main offender. I'm not surprised at all that ITV cut it out. Sure, it got over that MJF is an insufferable, cheating prick, but did it really need to go as long as it did? Brandon Cutler's never going to amount to anything, so do we really need to see him making a comeback and doing a dive? On an AEW show in particular, does a glorified jobber really need to be doing yet another dive?! Can't this time be better spent doing a few fun vignettes?

Perfect example - that VIP Area where Moxley eventually killed Kenny Omega. Could that not have been established earlier in the show to get over some other characters? They literally have a Tag Team called Private Party, for fuck's sake. Could they not have spent thirty seconds here or there cutting to them having a few drinks with babyfaces, with heels being refused entry? That whole Kevin Smith thing would've been far better suited to that setting. Kevin and Jay having some drinks with Private Party, interviewed about their movie, then Evans and Angelico try unsuccessfully to crash the party. Maybe the bouncers kick them out because Private Party don't like their shoes or whatever.

As it was, I'm still not entirely sure what the fuck even happened. Jack Evans and Agelico came out during Kevin Smith's interview for his shit film, then Private Party sort of appeared, but were then ejected, and nothing really made any sense whatsoever. In fact, now I've came up with it, shots of babyfaces milling about in the VIP Area would have been perfect for the FITE feed, for whenever the TNT feed went to ad breaks. I'd much rather see a couple of undercard babyfaces messing around and doing drinking games or something than wide shots of empty seats with Jim Ross shouting, "what?" over it.

Whilst I get where you are coming from, that scenario screams cheesy WWE style backstage vignettes. 

I hated the Kevin Smith segment because they looked stupid in that gear and commentary didn't explain it clearly. 

Edited by Michael_3165

2 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

This was a TV episode, not a PPV. Also, WWE don’t show video packages before every match on a PPV. They’ll only do it for a handful of matches, which is what AEW did. 

Not on the ITV version I watched they didn’t. I’m not saying they should do it for every episode of the TV show, just the debut episode. Get people up to speed. 

20 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Not on the ITV version I watched they didn’t. I’m not saying they should do it for every episode of the TV show, just the debut episode. Get people up to speed. 

Blame fucking ITV then it was all well explained on the TNT version I watched