The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

5 minutes ago, Bohan said:

Honestly how much explaining does pro wrestling require???? It's hardly like you dived into Twin Peaks half way through its run!

I’d like to know why two people are having a match, why there’s a rivalry between them, how come one guy is jumping another or - in the case of the guys in the masks who cut the promo on the stage - what their names were!

1 hour ago, Vamp said:

I didn't say it was a problem, I said I laughed. You know exactly why I laughed at the VP of a new promotion who smashed up a throne partly as a gag against HHH's epic WrestleMania entrances got the big entrance way changing entrance that no one else got. 

I'd say the smashed throne was more a visual metaphor for out with the old, in with the new, but whatever. You seem to have thought about Cody's entrance more than Cody has. 

11 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It was explained very well. Presumably cut from the ITV version.

No it was on that version too.

Lots of discussion among the commentators during the match about how Cody's status as number 1 contender to Jericho's title would be in jeopardy if he lost and how Guevara should be in the discussion if he could beat Cody.

• Paid Members

Was it actually made official that Cody's contendership was on the line? Because that passed me by if it was. 

I agree about the Lucha Bros, though. They came out on stage, got in the face of SCU, Fenix said, "we are the best tag team in the universe" and, somewhere in the middle of it all, Excalibur mumbled the words "Lucha Bros". 

I'm not saying they necessarily needed an on-screen graphic - as that would have undermined the idea that they weren't scheduled to be on the show - but when Jericho cut his promo earlier, he said, "my name is Chris Jericho, and I am the AEW World Heavyweight Champion", or words to that effect.

Promo 101 - who, what, where, when. Say who you are, what you're there to do, and how (when/where) the audience get to see you do it. Now, Fenix's English isn't great, so I'm not going to put the blame on him for only saying a few words in his promo. I'd put the blame on whoever booked that segment in such a way that it assumed knowledge and doesn't establish who the Lucha Bros are. All it would have taken was a quick replay of what happened, with the commentators saying, "Rey Fenix and Pentagon Jr., the Lucha Bros, interrupted SCU's interview time earlier this evening, ahead of next week's tag team tournament". Who, what, when. Job's a good'un.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Was it actually made official that Cody's contendership was on the line? Because that passed me by if it was. 

No, it was more of a case of "if Cody gets beat by Sammy, why does he deserve a title shot?" They were trying to add a bit of doubt to the opening match.

• Paid Members
Just now, IANdrewDiceClay said:

No, it was more of a case of "if Cody gets beat by Sammy, why does he deserve a title shot?" They were trying to add a bit of doubt to the opening match.

That's what I thought, and I prefer that.

It keeps the result somewhat in doubt, as you know they're not giving Sammy a PPV title shot, but he could beat Cody on TV, while still keeping a "wins and losses matter" approach. Because "wins and losses matter" doesn't mean everything has to play into a league table, or convoluted "win gets a chance to win a bye in a tournament that hasn't started yet" stipulation, it can just means "the results actually have consequence".

Wanted to sit on my thoughts for a day before writing anything, but I was thrilled with the show. A major league wrestling production on a major network that has real energy.

Tony Schiavone has been a godsend to this promotion. He's brilliant in the Control Center, he's brilliant on interviews, and he turned an announce booth that felt like it was struggling to develop real chemistry into, believe it or not, a damn good commentary team. He helped JR by having an alternative voice of credibility so the drama isn't all on JR to project, and he could engage with Excalibur in a way that pulled back on the esoteric stuff and kept it so everyone could understand, and did it in a way where he didn't seem like he was talking too much. He picked his spots. Kudos, Tone.

Crowd was great of course, and Cody coming out first was a strong move just for the optics of a hot superstar in front of 14,000 people. The only thing about AEW that I haven't liked in the last few days is that not enough has been made of Jon Moxley's existence in the promotion, so him storming in the building looking for Kenny and screaming into the camera, acknowledging its presence, that he's going to find him would have been a good option to hook folks too.

Strong match with Cody and Sammy though, Sammy looked good, Cody is great. I may be in the minority, but I'm in favour of TV matches becoming a little shorter in general. Not everything needs to be 12 to 13 minutes, which was apparent in the Pac match later. Loved the moment after where Cody broke down hugging Tony. He must have heard what he was doing for the commentary team during his match. I was loving the idea of a UFC style post-fight promo, but not to be this time. Good set-up for Jericho's attack with Sammy's ambiguous handshake and leaving though.

MJF's promo was standard stuff, nothing spectacular, but did the trick, and I'm glad they took the time to have one real short match designed to get one guy over, and they chose wisely. Cutler looked nervous as hell, though.

I'm not really sure what the point of the Evans/Angelico involvement was with Jay and Silent Bob, because I didn't understand anything Evans said, or really know why he was doing it, nor what Private Party were actually trying to do. So, yeah. Was good to have a bit of a celeb input before Evans and Angelico's winning personalities were interjected.

Loved Sky's Obama. The segment with SCU and the Lucha Bros was a blast - Pentagon in a suit is money. Far more effective than the previous tag angle to set up a future match.

Hangman and Pac...again, a touch too long, and I'll be honest, I'm not sold on Pac. Everybody raved about his 205 Live heel stuff, but when people talk about how much of a star he looks like, I'm not sure what they are seeing that I'm not. He comes out, he's moody, great. Then he wrestles like everyone else, nothing ever really grabs me. He cheated to win, so there's that, the feud must continue. Hangman looked good in losing, would love a bit of reaction next week from Page.

Dug the PPV ads. A strange thing to long for, but I love hype done well.

Riho and Nyla was very interesting. Riho has felt a little cold so far, and was fearing bad things in this match, but Nyla played her part well and the David and Goliath was done well enough to hook the folks live for sure. Seemed like the action in the commercial break was the turning point - the flying knee from Rose which always looks good. Interested in the post-match with Kenny, feels like that is going somewhere.

And our main event. The not-a-DQ thing bugged me too. Ref could have been on the floor trying to separate the two teams as Kenny teased a dive, would have been easy for him to miss the initial fray with Moxley and plead ignorance. There was a way around that, and you could almost sense the announcers knew there was no way to explain that one. The DDT through the glass was so awesome, it could easily have been an injury angle. Moxley is so awesome. "SAY SOMETHING!"

It's really all about the post-match, which was a great throwback to shows of yore with all the run-ins, one after the other that follow a logical progression. Cody back out (in a pair of shoes that, as my better half pointed out, are a make that cost a grand), Sammy there to pay off the handshake earlier. Dustin to avenge his brother, and Jericho's biggest weapon to finish the job. Big Van Hager. My initial reaction was disappointment that they'd waste the money, and fear for the TNA-like perception it creates. As the angle played out, things has gone so well that I could quickly justify it as Jericho bringing in a big tough fuck he knew from WWE to watch his back. So long as they don't overegg it with him, he has a place, but they need to be careful.

=

I fucking love wrestling when it is done right. Here's why I loved Dynamite more than the sum of its parts - they gave you a lot, but what is more valuable than hot matches or hollow surprises is laying groundwork, establishing the world and what it means to be part of the AEW canon, who stands where, and announcers explaining things in a way we can understand and anticipate the future. NXT spaffed everything up the wall on the same day and then reminded us it wasn't a sprint when sprinting didn't work. That's like Linford Cristie bombing it for the first 100m in a 400m race, tanking ass and losing, and then telling everybody else to remember to pace themselves.

AEW told you their PPV, made their World Title contender look like a star, the champion look like an arsehole, shot an angle to put heat on the match, got over Sammy, MJF and Riho, put heat on Pac and Page to continue that story, showcased a couple of teams and told us about the tournament coming up, continued Moxley and Kenny in a major way, and closed by establishing a major heel threat that you want the heroes to overcome. And they didn't have to sacrifice a big time match or hurt anybody to do it. The best match and biggest surprise was on NXT. But the most important element is which show made you want to watch next week the most, and I think AEW won that battle easily.

15 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Surely agreeing with a short comment is what his "like button" is for? (if anyone agrees with me, please feel free to hit my like button, rather than add further comment to my petty observation :D).

Calm ya chops mate. Didn't even notice there is a like button. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

I'm not sold on Pac. Everybody raved about his 205 Live heel stuff, but when people talk about how much of a star he looks like, I'm not sure what they are seeing that I'm not. He comes out, he's moody, great. Then he wrestles like everyone else, nothing ever really grabs me. He cheated to win, so there's that, the feud must continue. Hangman looked good in losing, would love a bit of reaction next week from Page.

For me, I think it's just refreshing to see a heel who's unafraid to be a colossal prick. He's not Adam Cole still pandering for cheers, nor he is an almost cartoonish villain like MJF can sometimes be, he's just looked at what he's capable of and tweaked all of it to the point where it makes you hate him just that little bit more. He slows down where other's speed up, so that big high flying moves don't get the high energy pop that a Nick Jackson would get from them, because he's allowed them to sink in, and he makes sure that everything looks like it's got heft on it. He's not the only guy on the show busting out 450 Splashes and Moonsaults to the floor, but he's the only one making them look like they might actually hurt.

I think your closing paragraph probably sums up what I liked about this show, in spite of my criticisms - everything mattered.

• Paid Members

Great point by @Liam O'Rourke regarding the irony of WWE throwing out the, “marathon, not a sprint,” line when, of the two companies, it was clearly NXT who were sprinting.

You can’t play it cool and act like you’re playing the long game when a six-man tag main event beat what was essentially a mini-Takeover show filled with Title matches and the returns of Finn Balor and Ciampa.

It’s Moxley vs. Spears and The Bucks vs. Private Party next week, isn’t it? Hoping for a Moxley promo afterwards. Rather than only using it to set up attack angles, I’d be happy for them to regularly use the UFC-style post-fight interview. I reckon someone like Moxley in particular could cut a brilliant promo all fired up and sweaty after a match.

Edited by Supremo