The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I'm not sure I see the confusion. They're pretty clearly members of the Dark Order. They make a point of putting the masks on when they wrestle. They're a lower/mid-card level team, but keeping their identities.

It's a bit like looking at the nWo and going 'So why is the sixth member called Syxx, but the seventh member isn't called Seven? Are we supposed to be figuring out a longer-term storyline here?'

I absolutely got they are part of the Dark Order, but as someone just about completely new to the TV show, I didn't get why they put their masks on at ringside, rather than have them on when they were walking to the ring.

Your explanation suggests that the Dark Order don't all wear masks so I thought there could be some significance behind it.

• Awards Moderator

This week's match was the most I've enjoyed Evil Uno and Stu Grayson as a team, thought they gelled better than they have in AEW so far. Helps that we at least now kind of know what the Dark Order is.

The Bucks promo segment was cringey, but it presented them as one of the best tag teams in the company in a way that losing to Private Party could never do. We're always talking about how they should remind us who the top stars are, and this did that. Best thing in it was Ricky Morton's selling of the piledriver, though. Beautiful.

Also, Mike Chioda! Somewhat redder in the face than I remember from WWE but nice to have him refereeing again albeit very weird that it's not in a WWE ring.

They were always good as an Indie team, it just felt like they didn't have the character and everything needed to be a good TV/mainstream team. Warhorse was one that just didn't translate to it whatsoever during his match with Cody, he looked like a lost little child out there.

3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I don’t think it’s ever been a case of them not being decent together, more that it’s taken a hell of a long time to figure out exactly who/what The Dark Order actually are.

This is going to sound a little contradictory, but while The Dark Order as a unit is clicking for me, I think Uno and Grayson are better off outside of it. TDO is largely working because of the Brodie reigning back on the McMahonisms, and his fun storyline with Colt Cabana.

Uno and Grayson feel a bit directionless because of the shift in focus, I think. I’m not really sure what their role in TDO is or why they’re a part of it in the first place. They don’t feel vulnerable enough to put up with Brodie’s shit, yet they don’t feel strong enough (at least for me) to be legitimate threats in the tag division.

Maybe that will rectify itself over the coming weeks, or maybe I have a hangover from when TDO were one of the worst parts of Dynamite.

• Paid Members

Jericho has kicked off on his live stream about an alleged 'NXT Reject' leaking the spoilers from dynamite claiming the person 'will never fucking work in AEW again' which seems mighty rich seeing as it is quite well known he was Meltzers leak in WWE.

It's quite strange that inside of the ring, Jericho is putting out his best work in years, yet away from the ring he seems to be getting worse and worse. 

He also listed 5 wrestlers he'd like to see in AEW, they were:

Roman Reigns

Ricochet

Will Ospreay

Kota Ibushi 

Don Callis

• Awards Moderator

Would I be right in thinking Dynamite wasn't on at its usual time this week? I'm only wondering because normally there'd have been a few posts in this thread by now. 

If it's on a different day this week, should I assume it won't be on ITV Hub as usual on Saturday?

• Paid Members

Yeah, the schedule's a mess for the next few weeks. Be interesting to see how much NXT can gain ground in the meantime. It's on this Saturday, so I'll watch it on Sunday on FITE.

In the meantime, AEW has put up the first half of last years All Out on their youtube channel (at the time Dynamite would have normally been on) and I'd guess they'll put the second half up next week. Which seems like a pretty good idea. The Omega/Pac match is really good, and I remember liking Riho/Shida quite a bit. Be interesting to look back at. If they do show the second half next week, the Lucha Bros/Young Bucks ladder match is a lot of fun.

BTE this week was... okay. The Best Friends stuff about them trying to murder Brandon Cutler (because he's been asking them to do a segment for BTE and they can't think of anything) was funny. 'Wow, there are a lot of people here. Not that that's important or anything, I just like... noticed.' Peter Avalon trying to betray Brandon and join the Dark Order (who aren't interested, because he sucks) was fun too, especially with Avalon forgetting who films BTE. And anytime Schiavone swears is funny. But it wasn't a great one either.

And the women's tag tournament, I had hopes for, but... eh. It's highlighting that they're not working with much right now. If Brandi and Allie win, that'll be a lot of ammunition against them. And otherwise, I'm not seeing anyone really stand out in this tournament as having much potential in the future. It's a shame. Things will pick up when Kris Statlander and Britt Baker are back, but they really need someone to build the division around, and they don't have anyone yet. I like about half a dozen of their women's roster a lot (the two above, Shida, Nyla, Swole, Riho if she ever comes back), but they desperately need to work on this.

Brandi, the worst contracted performer in the company as both a character and a wrestler, has booked herself into the final of a tournament. That’s quite impressive. I’m assuming they’ll win as the other two aren’t even signed. Guess it gives her some heel ammo on the segments where she’s a heel rather than the ones she isn’t.

2 hours ago, Yakashi said:

Brandi, the worst contracted performer in the company as both a character and a wrestler, has booked herself into the final of a tournament. That’s quite impressive. I’m assuming they’ll win as the other two aren’t even signed. Guess it gives her some heel ammo on the segments where she’s a heel rather than the ones she isn’t.

My assumption was that the tension between Brandi and Allie boils over and that gives Ivelisse/Diamante the win, and then they get signed. 

Anything other than that is a Brandi ego crock of shit.