The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

20 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I know the ratings talk is mainly Meltzer moving the goalposts so that AEW win every week, but I’m intrigued to see what number they pull this week.

Presumably by people who either don't listen to or don't read the Observer?  I don't listen to all the audio but still read the newsletter every week and can't remember him moving the goal posts.  The narrative that Dave doesn't criticize AEW or doesn't praise WWE/NXT comes from those who clearly don't read him and listen to snap shots or carefully framed tidbits on Twitter.

Edited by Magnum Milano

I never said anything about him not criticising AEW/never praising NXT, and whilst I don’t listen to WOR, I do follow his twitter where there is still lots of “yeah, but...” going on, and that goes for a lot of things & topics, not just Wednesday Night Numbers

I was just saying that I’m intrigued what AEW’s number will be with all the changes to how it normally runs and how a delayed start could affect it

14 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I never said anything about him not criticising AEW/never praising NXT, and whilst I don’t listen to WOR, I do follow his twitter where there is still lots of “yeah, but...” going on, and that goes for a lot of things & topics, not just Wednesday Night Numbers

I was just saying that I’m intrigued what AEW’s number will be with all the changes to how it normally runs and how a delayed start could affect it

I never said you did, but the whole "moving the goal posts" argument is something I've only ever seen occasionally on Twitter and tends goes hand in hand with the Dave's on the AEW payroll brigade, Dave hates the WWE etc.

The point I was trying to get across was that the people who say stuff like that don't read/listen to him, just like the people who say he only praises AEW, only criticizes WWE.  You only have to read a single issue of the newsletter to know that's not the case.

Edited by Magnum Milano

• Paid Members

Have Santana and Ortiz always been a bit comedy based, even in Impact? I can never decide how I feel about them. They’re really funny, Ortiz especially, but I always think back to how cool and badass they looked on their AEW debut and wonder whether they’d be better just playing straight hard-case heels. 

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Have Santana and Ortiz always been a bit comedy based, even in Impact? I can never decide how I feel about them. They’re really funny, Ortiz especially, but I always think back to how cool and badass they looked on their AEW debut and wonder whether they’d be better just playing straight hard-case heels. 

Not really. They were more serious, especially with some of the segments and feuds they had. Ortiz has always been slightly goofy, but it’s been ramped to 11 in AEW.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

On Dark when they face jobber teams, they lose all the funny goofy shit and are pretty much 100% badass vicious heel bastards. Then when they're facing actual teams on Dynamite they really lean into all their goofy comedy stuff, especially Ortiz. It just seems that AEW hasn't decided on a consistent way to present them yet.

I love them though, always find them one of the highlights of the show whether they're doing comedy or serious. Reckon Santana could be a seriously good singles star someday too.

• Paid Members

Cody Rhodes is the man. The one EVP who truly gets it. Get yourself over as a star first, then elevate others and create more stars once you’re established. Brodie Lee looked fucking amazing here. An incredible job. Home run.

Yeah Cody building himself up for 10 months on TV and then getting smashed means a million times more than the young bucks going 50/50 with geeks. As boring as I find Brodie, he looked great here. He’s not a patch on Archer, and it’s yet another ex wwe guy winning a belt, but can’t argue it was a tremendous segment. 

• Paid Members

Quality episode of Dynamite. Thrilled to see both Ricky Starks and Thunder Rosa on AEW because they were two huge standout stars in NWA Powerrr. Starks is flourishing and his segment with Allen was really well done - "I don't need facepaint to be someone, I am someone". The guy is soundbites the same way The Rock was.

The main event and closing segment had me absolutely hooked. Brodie Lee came across like a massive deal finally, and taking out the entire Nightmare Family was a smart choice. I had real Nexus vibes, and when Brandi got choked out it all fell into place because now no woman or man is safe from The Dark Order.

Only downside to AEW for me at the moment is way too many tag matches. They have great tag teams, but every tag match goes ages. Either less tags, or make some squashes.

Excellent show.

WWE guy or not Brodi Lee smashing through Cody was tremendous. It's not where they used to work that matters imo it's how they are used now.

Final segment was great.

Kingston teaming up with The Lucha Bros and Butch & Blade is interesting. Guess that means Death Triangle is officially dead now which is a shame but understandable.

Thunder Rosa is a strong get for the company and a much needed boost for the women's division.

Women's tag tournament final was better than I expected and the correct team won.

One thing I noticed is that AEW is loaded with good to excellent promos. Don't think there was a bad one on the show and even MJF's lawyer was good fun.

No way Page should turn imo. Whole thing feels like FTR trying to take him for a fool.

Only real negative for me is that I'm pretty tired of Jericho/Orange. Hopefully both move on after the PPV and regardless of the result Jericho gets a bath.

Private Party looked way out of their league against FTR but the match still worked, you had your solid af vets manhandling, bullying those kids around the ring. I'm sure they could have a good match with a pair of broomsticks, even if that would piss off Corny.

• Paid Members

Pretty good show. All the angles and promos were great (AEW is top notch at this stuff now) but most the matches were a bit naff. Far too many of these multi man/tag spotfests the past few weeks.

I love Kingston but I don't think another stable is what AEW needs. Especially this weird mish mash of guys. Unless they are planning some kind of massive gang wars storyline with Inner Circle, Nightmare Family, The Elite, Dark Order, Jurassic Express, Best Friends and OC and Kingston's crew.

Feels like it's all going to kick off with FTR, Bucks, Omega and Page next week finally. I'm excited. 

Final match and angle was brilliant. Brodie Lee and DO are finally clicking and it's just great stuff. I just really wish they also had a horrified Colt Cabana out there with them, realising how over his head he had got himself with the DO. My guess is Zack Ryder will challenge Brodie at All Out on Cody's behalf. 

Looking forward to Omegas eventual heel turn. Really feel like he should be the one to dethrone Moxley.

MIMOSA MAYHEM!