The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Goodness, I feel like I was watching a different show to everyone else. For me there were as many bad points to it as there were good.

I’ll start with the worst - the women’s tag match. Clearly there’s no justifying the push Brandi gets, but no one in that match looked particularly strong.

The Nightmare Family as a stable can fuck off. It brings down Dustin, lifts up QT Marshall to a level he doesn’t deserve and doesn’t help Cody at all either. 

As much as I liked the show closing angle I’m absolutely dreading the Nightmare Family/Dark Order feud that is presumably about to go down. They’ve done so much good work with Brodie Lee that could just as easily be undone through bad storytelling.

The Jericho/Cassidy angle actually made me want to see their match less, and I hate the stipulation. If Jericho was wanting to create a high stakes stipulation he should have just suggested the loser joins the crowd of the next Fozzy gig he holds.

• Paid Members

I think Mimosa Mayhem perfectly fits Jerichos ridiculous character, it will give him a unique gimmick to work the match around and when he's thrown into that mimosa pool he's going to sell the fuck out of it and it's going to be hilarious. And it gives OC a way to win the feud but also protect Jericho without him losing by pinfall. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Final match and angle was brilliant. Brodie Lee and DO are finally clicking and it's just great stuff. I just really wish they also had a horrified Colt Cabana out there with them, realising how over his head he had got himself with the DO.

I loved that Colt wasn't there and they're continuing the story that Colt is always hidden away whenever the Dark Order commit their most horrible stuff. Hopefully it comes out that they sent him to a theme park and/or buffet to keep him busy. Still, the very fact that I was thinking about where Colt Cabana was, noticing he wasn't there, shows how well Dark Order are now clicking. And now their leader feels like a legitimate main event superstar. Fuck yeah. If I was seven years old I'd have watched that main event squash and started wondering whether Brodie Lee could beat Brock Lesnar in a fight.

Eddie Kingston is great. His delivery is unbelievable and I'm genuinely intrigued by that cheeky wink. He's exactly what some of these midcarders need to develop some type of direction. My dream scenario is still him stealing Santana and Ortiz from Jericho eventually.

Surely Brandi Rhodes has got to wind her neck in now? For the second time this year they've cut her heel bollocks short in favour of getting everything back on track. All this shit with her action figure, doing the Aldi Stephanie McMahon stuff, and they once again chuck it all in the bin for her to play the far more natural babyface wife to Cody. Do we really have to suffer it a third time when she gets the itch again in a few months?

The biggest negative on this show is MJF. This campaign stuff isn’t improving and continues to feel a bit like when Billy Gunn feuded with The Rock despite not being a real main eventer.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Goodness, I feel like I was watching a different show to everyone else. For me there were as many bad points to it as there were good.

I’ll start with the worst - the women’s tag match. Clearly there’s no justifying the push Brandi gets, but no one in that match looked particularly strong.

The Nightmare Family as a stable can fuck off. It brings down Dustin, lifts up QT Marshall to a level he doesn’t deserve and doesn’t help Cody at all either. 

As much as I liked the show closing angle I’m absolutely dreading the Nightmare Family/Dark Order feud that is presumably about to go down. They’ve done so much good work with Brodie Lee that could just as easily be undone through bad storytelling.

The Jericho/Cassidy angle actually made me want to see their match less, and I hate the stipulation. If Jericho was wanting to create a high stakes stipulation he should have just suggested the loser joins the crowd of the next Fozzy gig he holds.

I think you misunderstand Jericho’s new character. This was the perfect stupid gimmick match to fit these two.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

30 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think you misunderstand Jericho’s new character. This was the perfect stupid gimmick match to fit these two.

What is there to misunderstand about it? Deluded ageing wannabe-rockstar who is willing to risk the lives of his fans just so he can take to the stage and live out his ridiculous fantasy? Perfect heel gimmick. 

Just because I don’t like the stipulation doesn’t mean I misunderstand his gimmick. I just think it’s a crap stip and won’t make for a good match.

I don’t find the idea of Jericho wading around in Mimosa funny, and I can only imagine how cringe-inducing the skits to promote this match will be. It just isn’t for me. 

• Paid Members

He's not a top guy character. He's a midcard act and that's fine. If there were crowds for any of this stuff he would probably be getting the loudest pops in wrestling anyone had got in years.

Edited by LaGoosh

11 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

To be honest I've found the whole feud pretty underwhelming at times. I like Cassidy but I think the feud has shown that he's nowhere near the level of the top guys yet.

Although I hate this stipulation, I would have to disagree with this. His performances have been strong, particularly during the debate. From an in ring perspective he’s been decent, and I don’t think he can be blamed for the weaker portions of last week’s match. 

While he clearly isn’t going to be THE top guy for this company, he’s proved himself to be a wrestler who can effectively slot into a high level feud. I’d definitely be in favour of giving him a World title match at a future PPV.  I’d be stupidly invested in that.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

I watched this all this morning and absolutely loved it. Easiest 2 hour watch of a show I've had during the Covid episodes. 

Even Matt Hardy was great, it was almost as if he became more and more exposed, this isn't about catchy phrases or characters, he absolutely doesn't want someone with the disrespect Sammy has in "his business". 

Mimosa Mayhem will be great. Part of me just expects Jericho and P&P to all end up in the juice as a way of closing out both those rivalries with the Best Friends and Cassidy. Maybe even Best Friends and Orange Cassidy swimming in it as well. 

I'm excited for this as a PPV. Nothing feels shoehorned in or rushed, the women's title match should be amazing and I really can't decide who's winning out of MJF and Mox. Large part of me says MJF using the Paradigm Shift to win the title after a Wardlow interference. 

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

He's not a top guy character. He's a midcard act and that's fine. If there were crowds for any of this stuff he would probably be getting the loudest pops in wrestling anyone had got in years.

Thinking about it the lack of crowds is probably why at times I haven't been able to get into the feud as much as others have.

Loved the debate though.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I love Kingston but I don't think another stable is what AEW needs. Especially this weird mish mash of guys. Unless they are planning some kind of massive gang wars storyline with Inner Circle, Nightmare Family, The Elite, Dark Order, Jurassic Express, Best Friends and OC and Kingston's crew.

I think they're going for something much closer to NJPW's stables, which are more loose alliances than anything else. Basically, it doesn't stop anyone from being part of a one-on-one feud, but it lets you build out the whole thing with more going on, while still holding off on that one-on-one match. It also means you have easy multi-man/multi-team matches for Dynamite, by involving different members of the groups. Cassidy and Jericho have also involved multi-man matches with Best Friends and Proud'n'Powerful, and they've got their own spin-off feud as well. 

Basically, if most of the heavy-hitters have a crew that they hang with, it lets you do more with them, because there are natural people for them to team with.

---

This week's Dynamite was summed up for me when, towards the end, I thought 'this has been pretty packed, and there's still the main event' and then realised it was only a bit past halfway through. So, some random thoughts:

Moxley's promo was superb. Really, really well done, and built up his opponent at the same time. MJF and his attourney were great, but Nina keeping up the smile behind stole the entire thing - it was like something out of Veep.

Loving Omega's slow heel-turn. 

Tully with FTR is great. I thought the Private Party/FTR match was fine. PP aren't as experienced, and that came across, but there was a lot in there that I liked - the clothesline into the sunset flip in particular. And poor, gullible Hangman. He's just going to get his heart broken by his new friends AND his tag partner.

Holy shit, Ricky Starks is good. And Darby Allin is a definite star. This section just worked. I also loved, earlier, Taz's awful bit of 'Let's just say Darby Allin might get a surprise. That's all I'm saying. Heh heh heh." It was genuinely hilarious the way he chuckled to himself. 

Women's tag was okay. Right team won and it was fine. Brandi's character is all over the place though.

That main event though - damn. That was great. I thought Dark Order had been doing well recently, but had reached their peak. But this was tremendous.The beating, the heat against Arn, Anna Jay getting her moment, and Brodie Lee just looking like an absolute monster. Presumably we get the rematch at All Out too.

Edited by Chris B