The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I’ve decided all these factions popping up is going to be worth it when they all try and recruit Hangman and tells each and every one of them to fuck off. I hadn’t really thought about it until now, but if fans are back, even if it’s only a small percentage, it’s the perfect time to pull the trigger on this handsome bastard.

Well you can't polish a turd. I think last weeks angle banged hard for me because it was unapologetically simple, no-nonsense wrestling on a show full of nonsense wrestling. But without Cody, it's still just Brodie Lee and The Dark Order. Same sloppy indie bullshit. Sorry that's proper Jim Cornette, but I guess I'm just disappointed. I like AEW but it's become clear that there's a lot baked-in to their booking philosophy that I despise, although they get a lot of it right too. 

I got a laugh out of Lee slapping the shit out of the overexcited minion, otherwise they haven't found a landing place for The Dark Order, tonally. It still feels like it's playing to the BTE bubble and has yet to find a groove on the main show. I appreciate the effort they've put in but it's all over the place.

Fortunately, Lance Archer lights up the arena whenever he shows up. Hopefully he isn't just another body in the battle royal and earns a title shot at Moxley down the road. Or even better, have him smash through The Dark Order for a few weeks before he topples Brodie Lee for the championship. That'd be awesome.

Whoever Thunder Rosa is they should sign her up immediately. Rosa, Ricky Starks and Eddie Kingston have been a massive shot in the arm for Dynamite. They've kind of swaggered in, so sure of themselves, pros with personalities ready to go. They don't come off like rookies scared at sight of a live microphone. Another reminder that I really fucking should get round to watching Powerrr at some point.  

The three of them are a massive contrast to The Elite. I don't know if it's down to the angle being stretched out for too long or it's just Page and The Bucks' shitty acting and promo ability, but Page getting sacked from The Elite was a total wet fart. I'm still intrigued though, there's still so many directions it can go in and the matches should be banging. FTR have been looking mint the last while too. It's a shame this didn't click earlier. I was thinking, with Moxley and Jericho doing midcard stuff, maybe they've missed the boat on FTR vs Page/Omega as the first Tag Team PPV main event? I guess Bucks/FTR can get that slot later.

The Moxley/MJF feud might be even more tragic than the Jericho/Cassidy feud. Such a shame. MJF playing a physically ineffective heel, doing gimmicky WWE promos with lines that Vince Russo would be proud of is a massive waste of him. Its midcard as fuck, and I wonder who's booking this stuff. Is this all on Moxley and MJF? Call me a cynical fuck, but I can't help but wonder if Cody's doing another of his dads tricks -Dusty and his real dad HHH - and booking himself as the real main event while Moxley trundles from one midcard feud to another. Still, I can't wait until he comes back for revenge on Brodie Lee. He makes all of his stuff good in the end and is still the best thing in the company.

'Judas', the Moxley pop, and the roar Orange Cassidy got as he rushed Jericho gave me goosebumps. Fuck, I miss the old world and those old AEW crowds. They were more vital to them than anything.

48 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Well you can't polish a turd. I think last weeks angle banged hard for me because it was unapologetically simple, no-nonsense wrestling on a show full of nonsense wrestling. But without Cody, it's still just Brodie Lee and The Dark Order. Same sloppy indie bullshit. Sorry that's proper Jim Cornette, but I guess I'm just disappointed. I like AEW but it's become clear that there's a lot baked-in to their booking philosophy that I despise, although they get a lot of it right too. 

I got a laugh out of Lee slapping the shit out of the overexcited minion, otherwise they haven't found a landing place for The Dark Order, tonally. It still feels like it's playing to the BTE bubble and has yet to find a groove on the main show. I appreciate the effort they've put in but it's all over the place.

The mower stuff was a bit odd, but I really like The Dark Order now. The way they were portrayed last night kind of works for me.

You have Brodie Lee, a deeply unpleasant bully who showers his members with love at first (Cabana) before, when he knows they’re indoctrinated enough in his group, exerting control over them because he knows he can. 

The way they all behaved last night made them look like suck-ups and goofballs, but most of all vulnerable. And that’s why Lee managed to recruit all of these misfits. He can get away with treating them like shit because, like many real cult members, they have nowhere else to go. And they’ll continue to suck up to him just to get that sliver of acknowledgement he’ll occasionally dish out. 

In the long term the sympathy you feel for the likes of Grayson and Uno will help them break out into another character when they finally turn on Lee. 

I’d like to see the cult slowly disintegrate around Brodie as he continues to hold the belt, not giving a shit about who he loses because he cares more about his title run. Perhaps his own narrow vision eventually costing him the title. 

Regardless of how it plays out, for me, they’ve finally nailed The Dark Order as a faction. They’ve gone from a part of the show I dread to a consistently interesting story thread.

Edited by RedRooster

Quite a weak episode this week for me although I think my enjoyment was seriously affected by FITE completely removing all the picture in picture segments meaning most of FTRs match as well as most of the main event was completely missing, and these were the 2 things I was mostly looking forward to. 

I too was lost with the lawnmower reference, I still don't think they get how niche the BTE programme is. I really enjoy AEW and watch dynamite weekly but never once have I wanted to watch BTE and weird skits like this that go completely over my head arnt going to change that. 

Hopefully things improve again because I called last weeks an almost perfect episode of wrestling TV in 2020 and this was very far from being that. 

Yeah the lawnmower stuff was a BTE reference.

Basically The Elite were set to get a big sponsorship deal and Page was planning to buy a lawnmower out of his cut but for some reason (forget what) The Dark Order got the deal instead and Lee bought a bunch of lawnmowers to spite Page.

Definitely an odd part of the show to reference.

Removing picture in picture segments really hurt this weeks show for me. But when last in the US I watched a couple of episodes on TNT and found picture in picture annoying in it's own right. I think Fite's usual coverage is the best possible experience and so worth the money. 

Loved the Dark Order stuff. Anna Jay is going to becone a star in this role. Also, sign Tay Conti - those 2 will be money!

I'm so invested in MJF / Moxley. But I think Moxley retains this time. I have this suspicion that despite of what Hangman did, I don't see him turning heal - Omega and the Bucks will end up as the heals after Omega turns on Hangman at All Out after they drop the belts to FTR. I really want to see the return of The Cleaner now - it has been hinted at for months and my prefence would be for him to do so and get massive heat by taking out Hangman. I'd love to see them build towards a rematch of Moxley / Omega at Full Gear 2, minus the 'lights out' stipulation - Putting the belt on Omega and having Hangman return and chase Omega for the belt and ultimately beat him for it.

If they do put the tag belts on FTR at All Out, they really can't put the Bucks / FTR match off much longer - certainly no later than Full Gear in November.

6 hours ago, MPDTT said:

Removing picture in picture segments really hurt this weeks show for me. But when last in the US I watched a couple of episodes on TNT and found picture in picture annoying in it's own right. I think Fite's usual coverage is the best possible experience and so worth the money. 

Loved the Dark Order stuff. Anna Jay is going to becone a star in this role. Also, sign Tay Conti - those 2 will be money!

I'm so invested in MJF / Moxley. But I think Moxley retains this time. I have this suspicion that despite of what Hangman did, I don't see him turning heal - Omega and the Bucks will end up as the heals after Omega turns on Hangman at All Out after they drop the belts to FTR. I really want to see the return of The Cleaner now - it has been hinted at for months and my prefence would be for him to do so and get massive heat by taking out Hangman. I'd love to see them build towards a rematch of Moxley / Omega at Full Gear 2, minus the 'lights out' stipulation - Putting the belt on Omega and having Hangman return and chase Omega for the belt and ultimately beat him for it.

If they do put the tag belts on FTR at All Out, they really can't put the Bucks / FTR match off much longer - certainly no later than Full Gear in November.

FTR arn’t losing this early, and seen as AEW don’t do DQs or Count Out’s, they’re either leaving with belts or it’s going the Time Limit

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Cody off TV.

Page out of The Elite.

Imo Omega turns putting the final nail in the group's coffin. Be interesting to see how BTE goes forward afterwards.

It's not just the Elite on BTE to be fair. Wouldn't really see it affecting much.