The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Thought this weeks BTE was one of the funniest they have done. The BTE version of the dark order is a good watch most weeks, this weeks properly got me 

I wonder if they'd consider a move to Monday eventually or if they're quite happy where they are. I bet they'd love to take it to Vince and co properly and go after their flagship show. Not sure when the right time to do it would be. I guess they still need to build brand awareness so the sensible thing would probably be to focus on themselves rather than anything like that. But I can't help but feel it'll happen.

3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I wonder if they'd consider a move to Monday eventually or if they're quite happy where they are. I bet they'd love to take it to Vince and co properly and go after their flagship show. Not sure when the right time to do it would be. I guess they still need to build brand awareness so the sensible thing would probably be to focus on themselves rather than anything like that. But I can't help but feel it'll happen.

Hopefully they never do. Why try and stick it Vince when they're doing perfectly fine as they are? Whilst I think they'd probably do just fine on Mondays, they'll never overthrow the WWE so what would be the point? Maybe if there are some drastic changes in the next few years they could perhaps make a go of it but for now they're getting decent ratings and making money, they're better off sticking to Wednesdays IMO.

They must be chuffed with 755,000 though, weren't they also up against the first hour of Takeover?

4 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

So, last year Cody came out and said he saw AEW moving to Monday night at some point. Pretty much the next day Tony Khan did an interview where he pretty much put Cody back in his box and said Wednesday was where they wanted to be and moreover where the Network wanted them 

It seems like Khan and TNT are more pragmatic, where Cody has more interest in sticking it to Vince. 

I like Wednesday/Thursday as my wrestling night and would rather AEW make it their own. I can see them thinking Saturday evening might be a good slot for the planned second show though. That's a decent number and with PPV's being Saturday nights it does feel like a night they and their fans, like.

It's a decent number but also remember they had a pretty decent lead In show as well in the NBA Playoff game which had 1,607,000 viewers

You can practically see where almost 1,000,000 people turned over to ESPN to watch the Next NBA game instead of sticking with Wrestling

And that is still the Issue I think that whilst Dyamites numbers are pretty good since it started, they dont seem to be drawing in any new fans to wrestling

It's still just the same anti/lapsed WWE Fans, Indy Fans etc who are watching.

42 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

So, last year Cody came out and said he saw AEW moving to Monday night at some point. Pretty much the next day Tony Khan did an interview where he pretty much put Cody back in his box and said Wednesday was where they wanted to be and moreover where the Network wanted them 

It seems like Khan and TNT are more pragmatic, where Cody has more interest in sticking it to Vince. 

I like Wednesday/Thursday as my wrestling night and would rather AEW make it their own. I can see them thinking Saturday evening might be a good slot for the planned second show though. That's a decent number and with PPV's being Saturday nights it does feel like a night they and their fans, like.

I actually like cody, but he doesn't half come across as a moron sometimes..... 

A 7 o clock Saturday slot could be an amazing thing for them, catch the people before they head out\bars can throw it on in the background before the real crowd shows up...... The obvious issue is competition from hockey and basketball but it seems worth a punt.... 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, MVP RULZ said:

It's a decent number but also remember they had a pretty decent lead In show as well in the NBA Playoff game which had 1,607,000 viewers

You can practically see where almost 1,000,000 people turned over to ESPN to watch the Next NBA game instead of sticking with Wrestling

Basketball fans are going to turn the channel to watch the other NBA playoff game, not stick around to watch a wrestling show they've never heard of and probably don't care about. I doubt anyone was expecting any different.

As for a second show I think they'd be missing a trick if they didn't go for a Saturday morning show. Use guys like Jurassic Express and Darby Allin to bring in the younger audience to add to the 18-39 demo they're getting. Kids will buy the toys and merch and will be desperate to drag their parents to a live show when/if they're back, great source of cash.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, MVP RULZ said:

It's still just the same anti/lapsed WWE Fans, Indy Fans etc who are watching.

That's the entire wrestling audience at this point. There are millions of former fans but they've been former fans for so long now, they're not coming back. To grow, they're going to need to attract new fans while retaining what they have. That's going to take a long time, probably years. If they're in it for the long haul, it's possible. Though it's just as possible that the arse falls out of the entire industry. We can't be too many more scandals away from that. 

5 hours ago, MVP RULZ said:

They stuck with NBA, just like I used to turn over from TNT after Nitro to watch the Raw replay every Friday night. Never once was I tempted by a classic movie that TNT aired after Nitro, cos I stuck with wrestling. 

11 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Basketball fans are going to turn the channel to watch the other NBA playoff game, not stick around to watch a wrestling show they've never heard of and probably don't care about. I doubt anyone was expecting any different.

As for a second show I think they'd be missing a trick if they didn't go for a Saturday morning show. Use guys like Jurassic Express and Darby Allin to bring in the younger audience to add to the 18-39 demo they're getting. Kids will buy the toys and merch and will be desperate to drag their parents to a live show when/if they're back, great source of cash.

That's exactly what they should be doing. I know many are not a big fan on here of Conrad Thompson and I do think he is a smug git at times but I was listening to the start of the Bischoff podcast on Warrior in WCW the other day and they discussed how, although Warrior was the drizzling in ring shits in many ways his whole look, aura and persona is what drew a lot of kids in the late 80's early 90's into wrestling (as did many of the colorful characters at the time) as it was the closest you could get to seeing real life versions of comic book super heroes. 

Adults these days simply have too much on in life or too many other choices that are a bit more "high brow" so to speak. Kids are always going to want to be able to see, meet and emulate heroes be that they are based off of comic books, movies or video game characters. I'm sure if I asked an 8 year old which story they were more interested in between Orton/ Drew and Wyatt/ Strowman at Summerslam i'm sure many would have chosen the latter. AEW has plenty of interesting "action figure" types already with Jurrasic Express, Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy, The Dark Order etc it's just about emphasizing this to get the kids into it now so that audience can be built on.