The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, mim731 said:

Fair points @Chris B and @LaGoosh. I think perhaps from my perspective I haven't found myself that invested in the story without those extra trappings that come via BTE. I appreciate it's an opportunity to an add an extra layer, but I still feel those extra depths of story should be presented in the main format rather than the web show. Why not have the commentary team add extra layers?

It's probably a question of personal preference in fairness, and I'm sure there are those who prefer the way AEW currently present their stories. 

I somewhat agree. But if you watch a bunch of those BTE segments, they're not TV-level at all. They're sometimes rambly, silly, etc. So far, they haven't done much in the way of backstage skits/scenes, and some people slated the Bucks/Hangman segment this week. I'd like them to add it, but not if it's low-rent. I want them to figure out how to optimise it for TV.

11 minutes ago, Chris B said:

some people slated the Bucks/Hangman segment this week.

It was dreadful. Terrible ham acting. I'd long-since decided I had zero interest in BTE, as far back as it goes. Never been a fan of the Bucks, though they have been involved in 2 of the best tag matches I've seen in recent years. The idea that they've re-defined anything other than spotty bullshit, doesn't wash with me & never has. I don't particularly care about Cody & despite the amount of praise as he gets on here, Paige doesn't come across a star. In fact when he worked briefly on New Japan shows, he was just some bloke from ROH. Cowboy gimmicks aren't over with me, nor is alcohol in that sense. Hardly paints him as being a top professional, but then again Americans seem to be impressed by beer, even piss-weak beer.

Incidentally, with apologies if this has already been covered, but Cornette & his sidekick mentioned that someone was making it difficult for Kenny to even enter Japan. November 2019 being the last occasion, I believe. The vibe was that NJPW are really pissed at him. Was there some sort of 'no compete' clause when he left? To be honest, I assumed they'd parted on decent terms, NJPW having made a bollocks of some of their previous contracts. Anyhow, the upshot seems to be that there aren't and won't be any plans for AEW & NJPW to interact. I'm a little surprised, more than particularly bothered. 

Nothing concrete but I remember something about Kenny getting pulled up over some tax related stuff.

Wouldn't shock if New Japan tried to fuck with him. Probably someone here who knows more than me but I'm sure New Japan management are known for holding grudges and occasionally being petty, it's wrestling after all.

Don't think I've ever heard of New Japan having no complete clauses.

56 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Nothing concrete but I remember something about Kenny getting pulled up over some tax related stuff.

Wouldn't shock if New Japan tried to fuck with him. Probably someone here who knows more than me but I'm sure New Japan management are known for holding grudges and occasionally being petty, it's wrestling after all.

Don't think I've ever heard of New Japan having no complete clauses.

Fair enough. I think he was returning to work or be present for a DDT show. Could be tax issues, or as you say NJPW/Bushiroad trying to fuck with him. To be fair, they probably got the absolute best out of him, possibly at the optimum point of of his career and he had effectively been a native, having spent so much time there in the previous decade+. If anyone's aware of how and why it actually played-out, it'd be interesting to know.

3 hours ago, KingofSports said:

Incidentally, with apologies if this has already been covered, but Cornette & his sidekick mentioned that someone was making it difficult for Kenny to even enter Japan. November 2019 being the last occasion, I believe. The vibe was that NJPW are really pissed at him. Was there some sort of 'no compete' clause when he left? To be honest, I assumed they'd parted on decent terms, NJPW having made a bollocks of some of their previous contracts. Anyhow, the upshot seems to be that there aren't and won't be any plans for AEW & NJPW to interact. I'm a little surprised, more than particularly bothered. 

I thought Kenny had duel Japanese & Canadian citizenship now?

15 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don’t think Japan allows/recognised Dual Citizenships 

Right. In order to become a Japanese citizen you have to denounce / relinquish your native citizenship, after also having lived and worked full time in Japan for 10 years.

At least that was the case the last time I checked.

• Paid Members

Some very clever marketing being done for All Out by Fite, everytime I switch my Smart TV on, I have Moxley and Cody staring at me until I put something on (TV, not clothes). 

20200902_082400.jpg

Edited by Nick James

Talking of things that aren't working well, I watched last week's AEW Dark earlier to see Vickie Guerrero brand her partnership with Nyla Rose "The Vicious Vixens", a name which feels like it could have been invented for an early 2000s WWE Diva's faction containing Terri Runnels or Sable. 

It doesn't fit particularly well with Nyla's Native Beast character and it feels like it's on the verge of gendered/sexual language (such as 'jezabel' and 'diva') that should be relegated to the wrestling dustbin. 

Nyla's been presented as dangerous so far, almost like a female version of Lance Archer (except she's a better promo than he is) - and the idea of Jake Roberts branding their partnership "The Ferocious Foxes" or "Dangerous DILFs" is inconceivable. 

Vickie seems like a lovely person, but she's bringing Nyla down. I hope they re-evaluate this pairing.