The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

So what do people think goes on last? Surely not MJF?!*

I’m assuming it’s the Tag  Title match with a heavy angle afterwards. Ideally the Bucks and Omega going heel on Page.

*Willing to allow MJF vs. Mox to go on last if we get Rusev in a tank.

It's gotta be the Moxley vs MJF match, surely? I'm in the minority, but I'm incredibly entertained by MJF, and would love to see him beat Moxley. 

I'm kinda over the Moxley stuff now. He was cool and fresh when he arrived, now his "walk" annoys me, his hair annoys me, and I'd rather he weren't a main focus of the show.

MJF on the other hand is such a basic, yet effective, heel...I just love it. So simple. 

12 minutes ago, iPumaPants said:

It's gotta be the Moxley vs MJF match, surely? I'm in the minority, but I'm incredibly entertained by MJF, and would love to see him beat Moxley. 

I'm kinda over the Moxley stuff now. He was cool and fresh when he arrived, now his "walk" annoys me, his hair annoys me, and I'd rather he weren't a main focus of the show.

MJF on the other hand is such a basic, yet effective, heel...I just love it. So simple. 

It's interesting that Moxley hasn't felt like the 'main event' for a lot of his title run. I'm not really sure if it's down to them doing some other really solid work in other feuds, or they've just not given him enough, but he's not felt like a big time champ to me.

Don't get me wrong - I have enjoyed him since he came in, just like his NJPW too, and I think he's a lot better now than in WWE. I can't really fault the guy but there's just something about his run that has felt a little lacking.

Moxley's been fucking ace in all his promos and angles, but he essentially been doing angle-of-the-month without the longer term arc of Jericho or Cody's feuds. He's put on solid to great matches against monsters like Lee and Cage, emotionally charged big brother beat downs like Darby, and now what should be a gobshite-getting-his-comeuppance with MJF. It's just that a stronger character development for himself just isn't there.

He could have done with more pretapes, perhaps, vignettes of the champion at home, supported by whatever arc they wanted to give him. He was also pretty much fully formed when he arrived, so I don't know where there would be to go with him on his own.

A lot of people seem disappointed in MJF in this feud, like this is his big coming out party as a main event er, when it's really not. That'll be versus Cody some point down the line. This has been a taster for him, an investment in him by the company for when they're really ready to pull the trigger. I think he's done a blinding job, turning the volume up on his snivelling shitbag side, with a heel aesthetic that felt topical without being heavyhanded. It's a shame it's been a 4week build rather than a satisfying logical end to a longer ascension for him, but then again, there's no way he's taking the title. I reckon it'll be a miscommunication between him and Wardlow forced by Mox, after giving him a double-arm DDT, then a cleanish pin for Mox after a knee trembler.

Then of course, the post match beat down on Mox by MJF and Wardlow is interrupted by a voice over the mic. "HELLO AYE EE DUBYOO!" And Rusev in a tank wearing a bow tie rolls up, cleans house, and stares down Wardlow to close the show. It's Miro Day!

28 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Moxley's been fucking ace in all his promos and angles, but he essentially been doing angle-of-the-month without the longer term arc of Jericho or Cody's feuds. He's put on solid to great matches against monsters like Lee and Cage, emotionally charged big brother beat downs like Darby, and now what should be a gobshite-getting-his-comeuppance with MJF. It's just that a stronger character development for himself just isn't there.

He could have done with more pretapes, perhaps, vignettes of the champion at home, supported by whatever arc they wanted to give him. He was also pretty much fully formed when he arrived, so I don't know where there would be to go with him on his own.

A lot of people seem disappointed in MJF in this feud, like this is his big coming out party as a main event er, when it's really not. That'll be versus Cody some point down the line. This has been a taster for him, an investment in him by the company for when they're really ready to pull the trigger. I think he's done a blinding job, turning the volume up on his snivelling shitbag side, with a heel aesthetic that felt topical without being heavyhanded. It's a shame it's been a 4week build rather than a satisfying logical end to a longer ascension for him, but then again, there's no way he's taking the title. I reckon it'll be a miscommunication between him and Wardlow forced by Mox, after giving him a double-arm DDT, then a cleanish pin for Mox after a knee trembler.

Then of course, the post match beat down on Mox by MJF and Wardlow is interrupted by a voice over the mic. "HELLO AYE EE DUBYOO!" And Rusev in a tank wearing a bow tie rolls up, cleans house, and stares down Wardlow to close the show. It's Miro Day!

It feels like Sammartino's run in the 60s and 70s with the monster of the month then they go down the card. 

It's pretty obvious that Lance Archer is winning the Battle Royal then facing Moxley at a special Dynamite which NXT will counter program with Cole/Balor vs Priest in a title vs title match

• Paid Members

I mean, it's pretty incredible on live pay per view to send a man out to climb up scaffolding after he's just brained himself flat into concrete, knocked himself out and then afterwards been sent off to the hospital with a possible concussion and I swear I've read a few reports of concerns of a fracture all for the purposes of not wanting to be booked into a corner about his career being finished due to referee stoppage. 

Incredible is still the right word. Incredibly fucking stupid but incredible nonetheless. 

I love AEW and I've on the whole been incredibly positive about the company but that entire PPV was a shambles, on so many different levels. 

The highs were average and the lows were watching a man's head go splat...... How their wasn't brain matter on the floor is beyond me.

Easily the worst ppv they've put out. 

Dustin rhodes is a fucking boss though. 

Eddie Kingston was never eliminated BTW, and archer left over the top rope, so Eddie is my no1 contender. 

Edited by poetofthedeed

• Paid Members

I'm really trying with AEW, there is a lot of good there, definitely the good outweighs the bad, however the shots at WWE just take me out of it, it's not needed. The Kip Sabian segment for example, Kip showing a link to his Twitch account was tongue in cheek and subtle enough to be numerous, the 'AEW approved this message' just wasn't needed. We all know you let your guys do what they want, but there is no need to shoe horn in digs on every show.

Thought All Out was good, however I think the same for All Out as I did for Takeover, both shows have thrown so much in to Wednesday nights that the PPV's don't feel any different. Wrestling needs crowds back as soon as possible. 

Matt Cardona (I can't hear that name without thinking Mid Cardona now after this thread) getting all angry and sweary is just weird seeing as we know he's a mega geek. Dustin should not be dossing with scrubs like QT and Cardona. If he doesn't get a World Title run here, then it's never happening which is a super shame.

My thoughts against the Young Bucks is a very strange one, as I can't stand them in a wrestling setting. They're just so smug and unlikeable (definitely more suited to heels), however I've heard them on podcasts and they come across great and super likeable, I can't understand why they are so different inside and outside of the ring.

They couldn't stick the landing on the Omega heel turn. Accidental V-Trigger, then fannying about with a trestle table ages after FTR had left drinking their non-discript beer. Seemed to go against all the ground work that they have laid down over recent weeks. Complete WWE finish. Also, does Hardwood look a lot more bloated in the face these days since he debuted?

Sydal botching the SSP made me laugh, he looked smaller than ever here. Trent should be a singles guy, he's great.

Why has Pentagon Jr changed his name? I presume I've missed something.

I winced at Matt Hardy hitting his head on the floor after the spear from the lift. 

AEW must be the most legit competition we've had since WCW, however I'm not sure the audience is there to be top dog, I fear that if WWE ever does the unimaginable and falls, wrestling in the mainstream would drop off.

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Nick James said:

The Kip Sabian segment for example, Kip showing a link to his Twitch account was tongue in cheek and subtle enough to be numerous, the 'AEW approved this message' just wasn't needed.

That was clever, funny and subtle. Absolutely no problem with it whatsoever. 

But if you're going to take shots at anybody, be whiter than fucking white. Don't let lads nearly kill themselves and then climb high in the air for a spot.

AEW is great. Lots about it is the only reason I'm watching anything to do with wrestling right now. But it's hard to love when there's always something shitty overshadowing everything.