The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Really enjoyed the Tooth & Nail match but think Baker's great and that Swole has a lot of potential.

The individual entrances in the battle royal felt really weird to me. Isn't the point that everyone who drew the same card comes out as a group?

I came back to wrestling with Dynamite episode 2 after a 20 year gap. Is Sydal a big deal? Does he often throw himself head first to the canvas?

The Hardy thing. Bloody hell! I thought I'd seen a man die. When you've told us the match is over stick with it. 

Enjoyed the 8-man. Don't understand the QT-phobia on here. He's OK in short doses, and short doses is all he's getting.

Love Shida! Very tempted to give NWA a go if the rest of the roster has the skill set of Thunder Rosa.

Liked the tag team match. I see why everyone was disappointed in the post match. I like the symbolic nod of Kenny going down the left hand tunnel.

Found Jericho v Cassidy a bit dull. Glad it ended the way it did though.

Mox and MJF did what it needed to. Gave MJF his first PPV headline match, set the stage for the MJF/Wardlow breakup and sent the fans home happy after the sneaky paradigm shift. 

• Paid Members

I couldnt believe the Matt Hardy thing. The bump was so ill advised, but he couldnt stand and his face was turning a different colour. How the fuck did they think he should have continued that match, and climb up another scaffold. I was terrifying watching it. He looked dangerously out of it.

JR is a moron as well. That's basic shit, your Dad wouldnt even say. He's such a creep.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Nick James said:

AEW must be the most legit competition we've had since WCW, however I'm not sure the audience is there to be top dog, I fear that if WWE ever does the unimaginable and falls, wrestling in the mainstream would drop off.

Well, hasn't it fallen off dramatically anyway, shedding several millions of viewers over the past 20 years? The whole industry has shed the casual, mainstream, fanbase and is pretty much restricted to hardcore fans nowadays isn't it?

Edited by garynysmon

I've only seen the Matt Hardy stuff but in terms of stupidity it feels a little early 2000s Indy. I don't really understand why they didn't make that spot safer when they (quite rightly) had such a safe looking bump at the end. Did they really not think "actually, maybe we should doubly make sure this bloke's head doesn't smack off the concrete." 

I'm not surprised they had/let Matt climb a scaffold afterwards, they're as carny as everyone else after all, but the lack of logical "let's chuck an extra table or two or some padding or move this away from concrete" thinking is a bit baffling. 

JR with the "lol bantz" defence. It's not even like it's his heel commentator persona, in line with Anna Jay's gimmick or the angle on screen. It's just a old man perving. His job as a commentator is to sell the business in and around the ring. Nothing about the whole thing needed a "bit of humour", advised or otherwise. It's another instance of him not giving a shit.

Tony Khan needs JR's tweet retweeted back at him in the thousands. This is what Speaking Out was for. If you don't stamp on unprofessional objectivising shit like that, you're shrugging your shoulders which is as good as condoning it in terms of trying to change the industry's attitudes.

Oh dear. JR put his foot right in it there. He simply can't read the current climate and what is and isn't acceptable in 2020. I have less issues w the age and more the fact she is is coworker. You don't say that about a coworker. Esp one that due to your fame will have less power than you. 

It's almost like he is stuck in 1998-2000 where it was 'ok' to have tits on screen, women barking like a dog on all fours etc. He has turned into the Lawler of 2020. Next week he will be screaming 'ba gawd, puppies and BBQ sauce haw has haw'. 

9 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

JR with the "lol bantz" defence. It's not even like it's his heel commentator persona, in line with Anna Jay's gimmick or the angle on screen. It's just a old man perving. His job as a commentator is to sell the business in and around the ring. Nothing about the whole thing needed a "bit of humour", advised or otherwise. It's another instance of him not giving a shit.

Tony Khan needs JR's tweet retweeted back at him in the thousands. This is what Speaking Out was for. If you don't stamp on unprofessional objectivising shit like that, you're shrugging your shoulders which is as good as condoning it in terms of trying to change the industry's attitudes.

Khan seems to want to be one of the boys. He can't stamp his foot down. His whole persona in public seems to be 'so glad I'm doing this, its my dream!' 

• Paid Members

Couple of things,

Why the fuck did Matt not just call it there and then? let alone climb up a scaffold. In the sense of the match he couldn't get up so sammy wins. Screw the finish.

Darby is going to cripple himself. When cage threw him he had no way of protecting himself and another foot hes hitting the stairs. 

The womens match was the best one of the night, 

Not a patch on the last PPV. 

• Paid Members

I honestly think because they booked themselves into a corner. If Matt lost he was done, the only smart solution and it's not a gripe at Sammy because he has definitely never experienced a moment like it was to play knocked out too so the ref would call a no contest as both couldn't continue. 

I've read reports that they went through the stunt twice including once with a stunt coordinator and even then that the comment "maybe a second table would be safer?" wasn't broached is just baffling. 

• Paid Members

Love that Sydal botch. It worries me that in this era of highly scripted ultra-polished nerds, we'll never have moments like the Shockmaster again so it's comforting to see something so wonderfully awful. Glad he avoided injury but got to be honest, I laughed all 23 times I watched the gif.

• Paid Members

The bast thing on the show was Dustin’s promo after learning he was getting a TNT Title shot. He’s on a completely different level to everyone.

Easily AEW’s worst pay per view to date. Everything was OK at best and the Matt Hardy thing was one of the most irresponsible things I’ve ever seen. There was no coming back from that. It left the worst taste imaginable. It honestly gave me the same sense of sickness watching as when Owen Hart died.

Them getting Schiavone to change the story hours later and say Matt passed tests before they let it continue felt shady as fuck too. What the hell tests is he supposed to have taken for them to determine he was OK? In the space of what? Two minutes?! Absolute insanity that they let that continue and they’re extremely lucky Matt didn’t fall off that second scaffold and either hurt himself even more or die. As others have already said; if you’re going to take cheap shots at WWE make sure you’ve got your own shit together first. Lana might not be allowed to dance on TikTok anymore but they sure as fuck wouldn’t let her keep wrestling if she smashed her head against concrete, leaving her unconscious.

I was hoping Pac was the joker, but instead I got Matt Sydal falling over like an idiot. What an anti-climax.

Are we ready to call it? FTR aren’t working. For a pair of guys who were supposed to come in and prove everyone wrong by having belters they’ve not blew anyone away at all. NXT’s Revival feel like they’re never coming back.

Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks need to turn heel now. Teasing and being subtle is cute, but fuck me. This has been going on forever. Pull the trigger already!

No Rusev. Outrageous.

Edited by Supremo

42 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Love that Sydal botch. It worries me that in this era of highly scripted ultra-polished nerds, we'll never have moments like the Shockmaster again so it's comforting to see something so wonderfully awful. Glad he avoided injury but got to be honest, I laughed all 23 times I watched the gif.

I saw the gif accompanied by a tweet which said “If God delivered a chokeslam.”