The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Howling at Tony Khan tweeting that Matt is released from hospital and is fine and then plugging the next episode of dynamite with a Hardy appearance in the same tweet. I can’t imagine Tony was this much of a cunt before the wrestling business got him.

12 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

"Sorry if you were offended, now lighten up"

I think the show exposed Tony Khan's lack of inexperience in the business. He needs to learn that he can't be everyone's friend and that the boss can't really be one of the boys.

He should have called for the Hardy match to be stopped and he should give JR a McMahon level bollocking for his shitty work and lack of professionalism.

Starting to see why Vince seemed to really enjoy humiliating the cranky old creep.

Tweet been deleted...

Enjoyable show overall but felt more like a feature length episode of Dynamite rather than it's own special event. Loved the fallout from the tag title match, especially the continuous camera shot following Kenny all the way to his car. Loved the finish to the main event as it had me legit grinning from ear to ear. Poor Shida though, she had a great match but looked like she was dying from the heat after about 5 minutes in.

Good stuff but fuck this pandemic and fuck these empty(ish) arena shows, they're really starting to take their toll.

The Sydal and especially the Hardy stuff threatened to derail the whole thing but it just about recovered. 

I hope they learn from that incident now though because it's great that they're trying to be an edgy alternative but there's no need to be as reckless as they are at times. If they keep it up somebody is definitely getting seriously injured or worse, and the amount of shit they would get for it isn't what a growing promotion wants either.

More positively, I'm stoked for Archer challenging for the title, Jericho has done a terrific job making Cassidy and the tag title and world title matches were both very good.

15 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Did Anna Jay have a wardrobe malfunction? Maybe that was wishful thinking on my part.

Jim Ross in 2020. Fucking get rid.

Sammy G got suspended and went through awareness training for comments made a couple of years ago... Absolute minimum is JR should face the same fate.

He also made some weird comment during the women's match about taking them both out for dinner and giving them some sauce (but I may have misheard and/or misinterpreted that)

Edited by mrtrickio

The ghostly atmosphere really hurt this show. I'd rather they didn't bring fans in at all if this is how it sounds. It seems even quieter than before. Show was also mired by several stupid, gruesome, scary spots and fuck ups that took me out of the action. All in all a fairly average to disappointing PPV with some mad memorable moments. 

Early on during Baker vs Big Swole I was wishing for the death for cinematic wrestling, but when they took it outside the office it got tremendous. HATED the needle spot but Baker carried this to a fun match, even her striking looked better than usual.

Dustin's promo was a breath of fresh air. Again, why have they been sitting on this guy? Looking forward to him vs Brodie, their interactions were good.

The battle Royal was an AEW battle royal but Archer looked as great as ever. Over the moon he's gunning for Moxley. Matt Sydel falling arse over tit was hilarious and Darby Allin's a fucking idiot.

The Matt Hardy stuff was bush league and completely unsurprising for this lot.

Thunder Rosa looks really good and I was gutted she didn't win. Don't like Shida matches at all. 

The Elite angle feels like it's fizzling out fast. Whatever they're doing with it I hope it was worth the way it's cooled The Hangman. Tag Title match was killed by lack of crowd noise but I don't think it was all that anyway. 

Orange Cassidy vs Jericho was fun for what it was. I'm glad it's over, I thought it was a bad idea as a feud. I know they can't hold back on everything forever, but I think normalising OC as a wrestler and featuring him so heavily in front of no fans has taken the shine off him tremendously. Can't wait to see where Jericho goes next.

Really liked the main even and thought it was easily the match of the night. Mox and MJF in the ring overdelivered as much as their promos underdelivered, although I find MJF is generally underrated as a worker. Finish was cool.

What's it gonna take to sack JR? . You have Tazz and Schiavone who are perfect for the job and familair faces. JR doesn't bring enough to the table. In fact he's nothing but counterproductive.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

Whilst I’m happy they’re pulling the trigger on Lance Archer I’m also disappointed Eddie Kingston didn’t win the Battle Royale. I’d love to see Kingston and Mox cut promos on each other. I also thought it was telling that even with a tiny crowd that were mic’d terribly Darby Allin and Eddie Kingston were the two guys to get big reactions. Those lads are quality.

21 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Whilst I’m happy they’re pulling the trigger on Lance Archer I’m also disappointed Eddie Kingston didn’t win the Battle Royale. I’d love to see Kingston and Mox cut promos on each other. I also thought it was telling that even with a tiny crowd that were mic’d terribly Darby Allin and Eddie Kingston were the two guys to get big reactions. Those lads are quality.

Kingston's great and yeah I'd definitely love a Mox/Kingston feud. I'd be happy if they built him up a bit first. At least Lance has been around a bit now.

It's one of the tough things about AEW - they almost have too many people that could step into that spot. Like I'm a big fan of the Lucha Bros guys as singles, so a proper Moxley feud vs a heel Penta would be my wet dream.

• Paid Members

Sammy G and Matt Hardy should never be allowed near each other again. That has to be one of the ugliest feuds ever.

I hate that grass Evan Bourne and was gutted to see him turn up so I pissed myself at him screwing up his signature move instantly, the botch was captured so well too, it was spectacular. Hope they never use him again.

What an absolute disgrace that they let that Sammy/Hardy match continue. Matt went stiff as a board instantly, stop the dam thing right there and then. Fuck your storyline, a human being has just smacked his head on the ground, call it a No Contest and get the guy a an actual doctor, not Tony Khan saying “but there must be a winner!”.  I’m not a fan of Matt Hardy in the slightest, but hopefully he’ll be OK and doesn’t suffer any after effects because of this. Can you imagine the shitstorm AEW will be in he has after-effects? 

And what’s the first thing they do after restarting? a DDT on the floor, for fucks sake.

Thunder Rosa was lucky not to smack her head on the ramp step too, had she been a step further back she probably would’ve done.

Hangman downgrading to Midcard Tights from Main Event Pants - sad face. And “Anxious Millennial Cowboy”, I didn’t think there could be a worse name in anything than Five Finger Death Punch, but that’s giving it a run for its money. That match seemed a bit odd in that it seemed to be building to the finish only to then slow right back down again and go another 12 minutes or so, and the reaction in the arena reflected that and as a result FTR winning the belts fell a bit flat.

I love how it went from 500 Gallons of Mimosa to 80 Gallons between Dynamite and the PPV. A daft match but a welcome bit of fun, even if it did mean that I should’ve put my money on OC after all. Oh well.

Main event was OK but nothing particularly memorable aside from MJF doing another pointless blade job on what ended up being AEW’s weakest PPV so far.

A large chunk of idiots on twitter and Facebook seem to be defending the Matt Hardy incident by using the argument "Well Matt told the Doctor he was fine, and he should know better than us, and anyways it was a small fall, it's not like they continued a PPV right after a man died like some companies I could mention" 🙄

18 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Hangman downgrading to Midcard Tights from Main Event Pants - sad face. And “Anxious Millennial Cowboy”, I didn’t think there could be a worse name in anything than Five Finger Death Punch, but that’s giving it a run for its money. That match seemed a bit odd in that it seemed to be building to the finish only to then slow right back down again and go another 12 minutes or so, and the reaction in the arena reflected that and as a result FTR winning the belts fell a bit flat.

My guess is they stretched it out to make up for Hardy/Sammy being cut short. Real flat match though. Agree about Page's tights, made him look smaller if anything.

Hope Tony Khan wakes up a bit after this. All the stunt-show shit isn't worth it and doesn't make the shows any better. Dustin's post-match promo is the type of thing they should be looking to do more of. That shit always works whereas the stunts and the kickouts are wearing thinner by the week. 

On a more positive note I thought Private Party were better than they've ever been on the pre-show. Good to see them pulling back and working on the basics. Shitty gimmick aside, Silver and Reynolds are a pretty good team and I'm up for seeing more. Jungle Boy is awesome, think he could be the best wrestler on the planet in a few years. Marko Stunt is "an annoying rash" like JR calls him, but he pumped up the crowd better than anyone else did all night.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

And “Anxious Millennial Cowboy”, I didn’t think there could be a worse name in anything than Five Finger Death Punch, but that’s giving it a run for its money.

Could not disagree more. Since that turned up as a self-deprecating description Hangman made about himself, it's been something that's clearly caught on with a lot of people. Personally, I love it - it's a great connection point for the audience. He's obviously an ass-kicker, and that's not in question. But the idea that he doubts himself, that he's unsure and that he screws up and tries to make things right? Who doesn't identify with him and want to see him succeed?

As an official name for him, sure. It doesn't work - but as a general nickname and description of him, it's great. It takes this tall, well-built, handsome ass-kicker, and makes him an ongoing underdog that just might succeed.

It's the same thing, in the long-run, that's worked so well for me with Kenny Omega. I'm invested in his character and journey, and I want to see him succeed. That bit last week when FTR told him he was a piece of shit and all his friends think so... I can't remember the last time I connected with a wrestling character in the way I do in a drama series. That was so good, and it's all partly because his character is the anxious millennial cowboy.