The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

The bast thing on the show was Dustin’s promo after learning he was getting a TNT Title shot. He’s on a completely different level to everyone.

Yes! Shame on me for neglecting to mention this but his passion was off the scale. Put over the importance of the title plus what it all means to him on a personal level too. All in such a short space of time. He's an asset to them in so many ways. Everyone needs to watch that on repeat til the next Dynamite and learn how to be believable characters.

• Awards Moderator

I actually enjoyed a fair bit of that show.

Baker vs Swole reminded me more of Hardcore Title matches from 1999 TV than recent cinematic wrestling, and I quite liked that about it.

I watched most of the show on mute, so didn’t realise that was Matt Sydal in the Battle Royal. Assumed it was some Indy name like Warhorse again. Anyway, dear oh dear. Didn’t go well for him. AEW don’t need more people right now anyway. 

Hobbs looks a good prospect - don’t recall seeing him on Dynamite before but there definitely seemed to be potential there.

A few other moments in that match I disliked. The Darby bodybag spot... I get Darby doesn’t care and will do anything but someone needs to care on his behalf. And I truly hope Jake’s bag didn’t have an animal in it, because fuck off AEW if that was the case. Fuck all the way off.

Speaking of, fuck off AEW for allowing Matt Hardy’s match to continue. No need. Deeply uncomfortable to see. The referee did her job as far as I could tell, but someone needs to be properly reprimanded for that.

Shida and Rosa worked well together.

Dustin was the star of the eight man. TNT Title on him would be fine.

Page was the star of the tag title match. Thought that would have been an opportunity for Omega to finally show what he’s capable of but Hangman completely outshone him. The end did make me look forward to seeing him beat up Kenny, so job done I guess.

Mimosa match went better than I expected, some great moments of peril and nearly falling in that I really liked. Much better than their last match on Dynamite.

Main event was also better than I was expecting, Moxley looked like a champ, MJF looked like he could be a champ. Didn’t mind the finish - MJF tried to cheat, Mox beat him at his own game. Him and Archer for the title should be good.

So, aside from the serious problems of the Hardy-Guevara match there was more I liked than didn’t on that show.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

10 hours ago, Nick James said:

They're just so smug and unlikeable (definitely more suited to heels), however I've heard them on podcasts and they come across great and super likeable, I can't understand why they are so different inside and outside of the ring.

I was watching a Scott Hall interview from a few years ago.
He was talking about his son being helped by the Bucks in New Japan.
He said something along the lines of 'Cody said The Bucks are total assholes but they know that and they helped my son so we're cool'.

I think the general consensus is the Bucks ARE complete dicks who, more than likely, believe all their own hype.
I'm sure they are nice and sociable in situations that require it but everything seems to point to their natural personalities being that of insufferable pricks. 

• Paid Members

My guess on the Matt Hardy being allowed to continue thing is that he told the doctor that he wouldn't take any more bumps (which he didn't). But probably didn't mention that he'd be climbing scaffolding, and the doctor didn't realise because why would you assume that? However, outside of that possibility, it was a terrible decision by all concerned.

Overall, I enjoyed the show. It wasn't anything special, but it feels like one that if you watched back five years from now, you'd be pleasantly surprised. No matches massively exceeded expectations, but nothing felt like it fell massively short either.

The Hangman/Kenny vs FTR match was more hurt by a lack of a crowd than any other match I've seen. I thought the work and the story were really good, but it needed the crowd reacting bigger and bigger to two-counts, and between the small crowd and the heat in the building, it really felt like it was missed.

23 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The Hangman/Kenny vs FTR match was more hurt by a lack of a crowd than any other match I've seen. I thought the work and the story were really good, but it needed the crowd reacting bigger and bigger to two-counts, and between the small crowd and the heat in the building, it really felt like it was missed.

They managed to be more than loud enough for Jericho's entrance so I'm surprised they didn't make more of an effort for this match. I really thought they'd have a hot crowd for it but nothing really.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Cannibal Man said:

He'd just Tombstoned himself into a concrete floor off a scaffold, cognitive abilities probably need a while to get going again

He must have had some idea how badly he was hurt before continuing on. If not then it makes it even worse that he had no idea what was happening and they still let him climb that tower