The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

The Bucks/FTR/Page & Omega angle is still where my interest lies the most but fuck me does Kenny try his best to ruin that, every time he opens his mouth it feels like he's trying to sabotage the segment by sounding as fake as possible and like he thinks everything is a joke.

Genuinely not getting that. I think Omega's pretty good at portraying a real person - I really liked that whole segment, and I thought Kenny was good in it too. But then, I'm invested in Kenny's character and storyline, so I find him layered and complex rather than fake/jokey. Which isn't necessarily to say either of us are wrong, but I'm finding it interesting to think about why I respond like that.

Basically, I look at Kenny very much as a guy playing pro-wrestler. Because of course he is - he's performing in front of an audience, in-character. His actual character is that of a guy who covers his insecurities with the bluster of what he thinks 'pro-wrestler' Kenny Omega should be. So to an extent, he'll act and talk like is expected of him, with jokes and goofy bits. And he'll do a short speech about what Adam Page should be doing and how he should be approaching it. But the stuff underneath, that he does quietly and between talking - that's the real Kenny. Who is disappointed in Hangman, and is genuinely unsure about whether he likes him.

Again, to be fair, I was watching it influenced by the final segment of BTE this week, where the final shot showed him wearing his 'Cleaner' sunglasses - they've been hinting at the heel part of Omega coming to the surface again. So, to an extent, I was watching Omega coming out this week, trying to force himself to be the good guy and say the right things. But they're hollow, because he doesn't believe them, and he's getting closer and closer to thinking 'time to fuck all of this off - I'm Kenny fucking Omega, shouldn't care about anyone and should just go single-mindedly after the title to show everyone how good I am'. So the hollowness didn't ring false to me. Oddly, if anything, it added to it.

Also, that bit where FTR told a bleary-eyed, insecure Adam Page that he's a piece of shit, and all his friends secretly think so too - that was awesome. Following that up with Omega walking away... damn, I love Hangman so much, the poor screw-up that he is.

Edited by Chris B
  • Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right people, right time, just the wrong location.

Fucking hell who’s arsed. Let people get excited about things.

For a TV Guide photoshoot promoting a new wrestling show, this is what you want to see. Not you brothers wedding reception, like those cunts above. You're selling professional wrestling. Nothing else.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

The Bucks/FTR/Page & Omega angle is still where my interest lies the most but fuck me does Kenny try his best to ruin that, every time he opens his mouth it feels like he's trying to sabotage the segment by sounding as fake as possible and like he thinks everything is a joke.

I assumed that was by design, that he's looking to come across as an insincere jerk, paving the way for a heel turn.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I think he's been really good throughout this storyline. 

• Paid Members

AITA for not wanting to see Jake in any real capacity outside of Legends dos? I appreciate that Lance has a name to make him look legitimate but this spat with Tazz/Eddie Kingston is exposing Jake as he's stumbling over his promos quite a lot and getting interrupted by people wanting the angle to flow along - Tazz is giving him space, granted, but Eddie blew him out of the water verbally. I believe there's not much more Jake can do to raise Lance's profile.

Edited by seph
4 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

...he's looking to come across as an insincere jerk...

I think this applies to anyone in the Elite not called Page, except now they've actually got a heel angle, rather than being snide pricks but still being presented as faces.

I'm all for subtlety in the build, but surely it's time for these guys to turn the volume up, dump the shades of grey, and pick a side.

1 minute ago, CavemanLynn said:

I think this applies to anyone in the Elite not called Page, except now they've actually got a heel angle, rather than being snide pricks but still being presented as faces.

I'm all for subtlety in the build, but surely it's time for these guys to turn the volume up, dump the shades of grey, and pick a side.

I'm guessing we would have had that a lot sooner had it not been for the pandemic. Page staying at home ground whatever they were planning to do to a halt, then they seemed to hit the reset button for a bit. I imagine we're going to get to the next chapter sooner rather than later. 

Personally though, I love the build. It feels very non-traditional but in the best possible way. Everything about it has felt real, and the animosity between Page and the rest of the elite has felt surprisingly genuine. 

49 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm guessing we would have had that a lot sooner had it not been for the pandemic. Page staying at home ground whatever they were planning to do to a halt, then they seemed to hit the reset button for a bit. I imagine we're going to get to the next chapter sooner rather than later. 

Personally though, I love the build. It feels very non-traditional but in the best possible way. Everything about it has felt real, and the animosity between Page and the rest of the elite has felt surprisingly genuine. 

I'm convinced Blood and Guts would have been the moment that somebody would have turned. 

Omega has to be the one to turn now. Page is the perfect face. Bucks have a book out this Christmas and being faces makes the most sense. 

Can see it being that Omega was the one who needled Page into interfering in the gauntlet match. 

• Paid Members

https://m.skybet.com/wrestling

Sky taking bets on All Out. Famous last words, but surely there’s no easier money than betting on Orange Cassidy beating Jericho by throwing him in the mimosa? On his podcast last week Jericho himself was banging on about the importance of established guys losing in gimmick matches that don’t require a pinfall.

7 hours ago, Merzbow said:

He’s a terrible promo at the best of times, but he seemed really bad on this episode. I know people will point to that Pre-taped one he did when his match with Moxley got postponed (at last years All Out?), but that should’ve been good*, because he had infinite chances to get it right.

That Battle Royale segment, other than Eddie Kingston being good on the mic, did nothing to make me want to see that match. Shawn Spears had to appear twice and got no reaction either time.

Production seemed a bit dodgy this week too, really echoey during the backstage segments, were they not cutting the arena mics?

* personally I didn’t think that one was that good either

40 minutes ago, Supremo said:

https://m.skybet.com/wrestling

Sky taking bets on All Out. Famous last words, but surely there’s no easier money than betting on Orange Cassidy beating Jericho by throwing him in the mimosa? On his podcast last week Jericho himself was banging on about the importance of established guys losing in gimmick matches that don’t require a pinfall.

Jericho wins via normal means and gets dunked following the match.

See I was thinking it was easy money too and that OC is winning because Jericho doesn’t need the win or to be kept strong because he’ll just move onto whatever feud they have for him next.

But...if OC does win, then you need to move him onto something above where he is now because he’s beaten the former, and currently only other, World Champion for a second time, even the current champion can’t make that claim. But who do you feud him with? At this stage it’s either a face Moxley or MJF, which I don’t think has the legs to make it to the next PPV without being a retread of the Jericho feud he’s just coming off.

The only other viable option would be to keep Cody off TV and have OC go after the TNT title, but Cody’s been off for the last 2 weeks so I expect him back any moment and go back to him against Brodie, so where does that leave OC? Probably back dicking around with the Best Friends, who he’s already outgrown.

So yeah, Jericho with the sneaky win but takes a plunge in the drink so that OC gets his heat back

Edited by WyattSheepMask
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

See I was thinking it was easy money too and that OC is winning because Jericho doesn’t need the win or to be kept strong because he’ll just move onto whatever feud they have for him next.

But...if OC does win, then you need to move him onto something above where he is now because he’s beaten the former, and currently only other, World Champion for a second time, even the current champion can’t make that claim. But who do you feud him with? At this stage it’s either a face Moxley or MJF, which I don’t think has the legs to make it to the next PPV without being a retread of the Jericho feud he’s just coming off.

The only other viable option would be to keep Cody off TV and have OC go after the TNT title, but Cody’s been off for the last 2 weeks so I expect him back any moment and go back to him against Brodie, so where does that leave OC? Probably back dicking around with the Best Friends, who he’s already outgrown.

So yeah, Jericho with the sneaky win but takes a plunge in the drink so that OC gets his heat back

Mjf beat Cody, then Next feud was mid card, then main event.  could be a dip for oc before next Feud 

Edited by Louch