Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Someone has put together a full guide to the Hangman/Elite story on Reddit, with links to all the segments/matches on Dynamite and BTE (time-stamped to the relevant bits, it looks like). This one is up to date, and covers everything since Hangman/Omega vs The Young Bucks. 

This second link goes back further, covering everything from the build-up to the original Double Or Nothing, where Hangman asks the Bucks to come to ringside for his match (like they did with Kenny in big matches) and they don't.

 

Particularly with the BTE bits, it's not always well-made (sound is crap in places, particularly), but it's been a consistent and interesting story. I'd have loved to have seen some of this on Dynamite (made better, admittedly), but I really like what they've done.

Posted

When was Cody last on BTE? Feels like months 

  • Paid Members
Posted
6 hours ago, Chris B said:

Someone has put together a full guide to the Hangman/Elite story on Reddit, with links to all the segments/matches on Dynamite and BTE (time-stamped to the 

While I can see how great it is that someone put this together, the fact they had to suggests this story has been too subtle and not well enough told on their main TV show. I like the idea of BTE as a supplemental addition but the idea that having to watch something beyond the main show to fully grasp the storyline seems nuts. 

Also I still feel FTR are a bit dull and pretty overrated. Perhaps I'm missing something. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

While I can see how great it is that someone put this together, the fact they had to suggests this story has been too subtle and not well enough told on their main TV show. I like the idea of BTE as a supplemental addition but the idea that having to watch something beyond the main show to fully grasp the storyline seems nuts. 

You don't have to have watched it to grasp the storyline. Considering it's a massively anticipated storyline and how many people are talking about it, wondering what will happen, that's clearly not the case. The major points have been on Dynamite, including the most BTE segment they've done in ages with the bar argument this week.

But it's also a story that's been building in various forms for a long time, including stuff that was pre-Dynamite. This is a comprehensive look at the details and the additional storytelling they've been doing throughout, that mean some of the details are more rich.

An example - The Bucks doing the Golden Lovers finish to Kenny in their match (leading to him becoming furious) wasn't fully explained, because it's NJPW stuff. If you didn't know that, it doesn't matter because they both kneed him right in the fucking face, which led to him snapping. If you know what the move means, you get that it was also the insult that caused Omega to snap and beat the shit out of both of them. But just because there's another level to it doesn't mean that you can't grasp the basic point that's going on.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, mim731 said:

While I can see how great it is that someone put this together, the fact they had to suggests this story has been too subtle and not well enough told on their main TV show. I like the idea of BTE as a supplemental addition but the idea that having to watch something beyond the main show to fully grasp the storyline seems nuts.  

Not really. I don't watch BTE and have no knowledge of anything from Japan, ROH or wherever. The main story has played out on TV as far as I can tell and has been easy to follow. Seems like BTE etc. adds some extra colour but they aren't essential.

Edited by LaGoosh
  • Paid Members
Posted

Fair points @Chris B and @LaGoosh. I think perhaps from my perspective I haven't found myself that invested in the story without those extra trappings that come via BTE. I appreciate it's an opportunity to an add an extra layer, but I still feel those extra depths of story should be presented in the main format rather than the web show. Why not have the commentary team add extra layers?

It's probably a question of personal preference in fairness, and I'm sure there are those who prefer the way AEW currently present their stories. 

Posted
24 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Fair points @Chris B and @LaGoosh. I think perhaps from my perspective I haven't found myself that invested in the story without those extra trappings that come via BTE. I appreciate it's an opportunity to an add an extra layer, but I still feel those extra depths of story should be presented in the main format rather than the web show. Why not have the commentary team add extra layers?

It's probably a question of personal preference in fairness, and I'm sure there are those who prefer the way AEW currently present their stories. 

I don't watch BTE, and I don't mind the odd easter egg for fans of that show. In fact, I think I'm very much in favour of that. You regularly see comic book movies, for example, and TV and videogame franchises include little references that would only be noticed by the most hardcore of fan. There's nothing wrong with rewarding or showing appreciation to dedication, providing it doesn't render the product you're offering incomprehensible to everyone else. 

I do wish they'd actually explain what Being the Elite is every now and then though. I don't remember them ever doing that, but I think it's important to make it clear to new viewers what it actually is and where they'll find it when announcers reference it. They don't need to do it every time, just make a point of doing it every so often. 

Posted

It's a definite balance thing. I love multi layered stories when I'm able to follow every step. Stories with such intricacy really pay off well for audiences that pay attention and it's great to reward them like that.

They need to be careful though. It also needs to work on a superficial level too for the casuals. And I think on the whole they've managed to maintain that balance thankfully.

Posted

I was probably half asleep and thought Shida vs. Thunder Rosa was a Dynamite match. Is it booked for their next PPV? Though I haven't seen the NWA product recently, NJPW had something of a relationship with the them, around 2014. Whilst there wasn't anything outstanding, seeing new or re-branded older talent, defending or fighting for Championships with some history behind them, was perfectly OK to watch. Some inter-promotional stuff could benefit both companies (AEW & NWA).

I can't remeber the fella's name, but the Promoter who accompanied the NWA talent to Japan was excellent. Straight outta the 80's. Anyone remember his name, or if he's still involved, since Corgan took over?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...