The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Everyone else has been doing stuff with their BTE segments, and TH2 just keep doing the same shit static promos on their iphones. They're really bad. Private Party's stuff a little while ago didn't work, but I won't fault them for trying - it was an attempt at short-film comedy, which ended up being occasionally funny. But at least they tried. TH2 just smacks of minimum effort and complaining, and it doesn't even feel like that's a gimmick.

9 hours ago, Chris B said:

Everyone else has been doing stuff with their BTE segments, and TH2 just keep doing the same shit static promos on their iphones. They're really bad. Private Party's stuff a little while ago didn't work, but I won't fault them for trying - it was an attempt at short-film comedy, which ended up being occasionally funny. But at least they tried. TH2 just smacks of minimum effort and complaining, and it doesn't even feel like that's a gimmick.

They fought a teddy bear for 13 dollars, there's no way to defend them...... 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, poetofthedeed said:

They fought a teddy bear for 13 dollars, there's no way to defend them...... 

I tend to be more a fan of something that tries and fails rather than doesn't try. TH2 doing shitty promos against blank walls isn't trying. Private Party, during the beginning of lockdown, making a mini-film with a full narrative, taking on the boogeyman and the giant teddy bear they used to wrestle as kids (out for revenge)... it didn't work, but at least they were trying to do something. I didn't have an issue with the silliness of it - I like silly. It mainly fell down in being overly long and not funny enough.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

what on earth?!

Clearly slapping his own chest to psyche himself up and intimidate his opponent. And it clearly worked.

This isn't the first time they've done this, but at least it was live last time...

Match 2 of Week 2 of the Womens Tag tourney is worth a watch. Ivelisse and obvious partner Vs.......well I won't spoil it but it was nice to see. She always looked like she'd make a game competitor one day :) 

• Paid Members

A solid but unspectacular show this week.

Whatever they've got planned for Cody and Bucks/FTR/Page&Omega I really hope they start pulling the trigger on this shit. Teasing and building anticipation long term is all well and good but they are verging on dragging it out too long now. Time for it to kick off. 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Oh Dave

He's probably not wrong, to be honest. But it's not a useful benchmark - "knowing they exist" compared to "knowing who the champions are" basically means the difference between having seen an advert once, and having actually engaged with the product. I really had to struggle to remember who both WWE Champions are, and I'm still not sure who has which one.

I will say, anecdotally, that I have only twice in the last year received messages from friends who don't watch wrestling, to say something about wrestling. The first was from a mate who was a casual fan - watched TNA because it was on free TV, some years watches the Royal Rumble - saying that he thought Private Party vs. The Young Bucks was "very silly but brilliant", the second was from a friend who had never expressed any interest in wrestling beyond my own participation in it, had never watched it on TV, but during lockdown had started watching AEW because her boyfriend watched it. I hadn't heard from her in a couple of months, and I just got a text saying "I LOVE ORANGE CASSIDY AND MARKO STUNT".

WWE are still obviously the byword for professional wrestling, but in some ways that sense of always having been there works against them. If AEW can convince more people to just take a chance on them by virtue of not being WWE, and just being something new, then they will appeal to people outside of the bubble way more than I think people realise. And part of that is recognising that the conventional wisdom of what gets over, or what "non-fans" will or won't engage with, isn't necessarily the truth.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

A solid but unspectacular show this week.

Whatever they've got planned for Cody and Bucks/FTR/Page&Omega I really hope they start pulling the trigger on this shit. Teasing and building anticipation long term is all well and good but they are verging on dragging it out too long now. Time for it to kick off. 

Completely agree. I felt the main event whilst fun lacked something. Not sure Cassidy and Jericho gelled as well as I had hoped. looked a bit sloppy at times. However, I enjoyed the tags and TNT match,  MJF was amazing, and that easter egg in his entrance referring to his past "chef's kiss". Be interesting to see if being pre-empted next week for the NBA giving NXT a free run will affect the ratings going forward?

Dark Order have really grown on me. I really enjoyed that match, particularly the inventive way they did the "load of blokes stand together to catch another bloke" spot.

MJF was brilliant again. I'm fully sold on him vs Moxley.

Jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjustin Robertssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss is fucking terrible.

I thought that other than Tully's promo the Bucks/FTR segment was pretty shit. And then the spike piledriver. Oof. Beautiful stuff.

I agree that the main event seemed to lack something. Imagine that OC win infront of a proper crowd though.

Edited by cobra_gordo