The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

5 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

A lot of people on Twitter freaking out about this. Unnecessarily, I think. With the pandemic, original content is becoming more and more scarce so brand new live programming guaranteed every week is going to be more valuable than ever. Add to that that Dynamite has totally overachieved ratings wise and hasn't even been on air for 1 year yet and have already been renewed for 2 more years they should be safe for the time being. And in comparison to original scripted programming wrestling TV is massively cheaper and better value for money.Ā 

Also, TV executives change fairly regularly. As long as Tony Khan and the top brass have a good relationship with whoever replaces them they should be fine.

Thank goodness I was/amĀ measured in my own delivery šŸ¤£

• Paid Members

SometimesĀ Chris Jericho seems like one of the smartest people in pro-wrestling. And then other times he does a concert in the middle of a global pandemic.

Letā€™s just hope the Orange Cassidy match has already been taped.

Edited by Supremo

20 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Apparently Sammy threw the wrong chair and bust Matt hard way and then got a bollocking over it backstage.

https://cultaholic.com/posts/report-aew-very-upset-with-sammy-guevara-over-chair-spot-on-dynamite

The best thing about that clip is Hardy takes a legit chair shot that busts him completely open with out the use of a blade and then you have JR on commentary completely downplay it "luckily for him he got his arms up."

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Supremo said:

SometimesĀ Chris Jericho seems like one of the smartest people in pro-wrestling. And then other times he does a concert in the middle of a global pandemic.

Jericho is wrestling smart. He's really intelligent when it comes to the wrestling business, hustling and making money but pretty dumb when it comes to pretty much anything else. You'll hear that a wrestler is smart or intelligent but it's very rarely real world smart.

For example for years the wrestling industry has talked about how smart Kane is but you only have to briefly glance at his Twitter account to see he's actually a fucking idiot. This rule applies for about 95% of wrestlers.Ā 

Edited by LaGoosh

Sami Zayn on Chris Jericho's podcast. I am paraphrasing slightly for Zayn as I cannot remember exactly what he said.Ā 

Ā 

Zayn - "I was in London which I love, so much history."

Jericho - "Yeah man it's the oldest city in the world."

Jericho being real world smart is absolute fantasy.Ā 

• Paid Members

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/chris-jericho-says-fozzy-taking-proper-precautions-they-resume-concerts-amid-covid-19

Jericho on doing the concerts.

"The shows are in South Dakota, North Dakota, and we have one in Fort Madison, Iowa, which is right near the border of South Dakota,"Ā Jericho stated.Ā "The reason why the shows have happened is because these states of North Dakota and South Dakota have low COVID cases, less than a thousand in both states."

ā€œThe venues are either outside or they are half-capacity. We are sold out tonight in Minot with, I think, 50% capacity. Last night, we were sold out in Sioux Falls, South Dakota with I think it was 35% capacity,ā€Ā Jericho stated.Ā ā€œWe hand out masks at the door, do temperature checks, all that sort of stuff. We basically just stay on the bus all day and everyone in the Fozzy camp, crew, and band has been tested. Yeah, so that's kind of how weā€™re doing it. Everything's been going good. Itā€™s been so great to be back on stage again.ā€

Temperature checks. Sloppy shop.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Sami Zayn on Chris Jericho's podcast. I am paraphrasing slightly for Zayn as I cannot remember exactly what he said.Ā 

Ā 

Zayn - "I was in London which I love, so much history."

Jericho - "Yeah man it's the oldest city in the world."

Jericho being real world smart is absolute fantasy.Ā 

Not quite a propos, but related - the town of Jericho in Israel is recorded as the world's second-oldest continuously-populated settlement, after Damascus.Ā 

• Paid Members

I've just been thinking about how AEW has hit it's heights so quickly, do we think that it may not be where it is now if they didn't sign Jericho? Or if he 'phoned it in' from the beginning?Ā 

I know you've got Moxley, Dark Order etc bubbling along nicely, but it seems the majority of the focus has been on the Inner Circle and without that, I'd struggle to see what the main focus would be.Ā 

I think they have done tremendous to get to where they are currently, even if the show isn't entirely for me, but it seems Jericho is the main catalyst for the company and most of the most talked about moments week in week out seem to involve him.

Ā 

Jericho seems to be the one guy on the roster who's self-booking doesn't consist of "me and x wrestle for 20 minutes then y happens"; instead it seems very much more "y happens to me and x, then we have a 15 minute match 4 weeks later". He books himself very much on a PPV model, even though there are no real PPVs right now. Admittedly you can't have everyone doing that - you do need some wrestling on your wrestling show - but he clearly understands that Monday Night War adage of every week being PPV standard is rubbish and they need to do more than ever to ramp up the buys for their big shows. He knows he's still a draw, and knows how to use that, as well as being creative enough to keep himself relevant.