The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Vince, Bischoff, Heyman etc.. they've all had their successes but they've certainly had multiple failures over the years too. It's all about tapping into the right areas with them, as well as a little luck along the way. 

In the case of Bischoff and Heyman it's been pretty much constant failure over the past 20 or so years though. I'd rather they both fucked off to be honest. Plenty of creative people in the business who are under the age of 50 with plenty to offer. Wrestling needs new blood, not these old washed up twats booking the same old shit.

The danger of singling out those promoters for their successes is that the reality is probably much more likely that they had the right people around them rather than the ideas themselves. Vince is credited with changing the game with Wrestlemania, but the more you find out, it was a perfect storm with input by guys like the Fink and Jimmy Hart, not to mention the fact that he stepped into a company his father had built rather than building it from scratch, so he already had the resources to take the risk. The Attitude Era wasn't Vince being ahead the curve and revolutionising things - it was Vince's hand being forced by years of stagnation, fan friction and restless talent. Similar with Bischoff - he was great at talking his way up into a position to ramp up production values and expenses for WCW, but the catalystic NWO was at least a collaboration of Nash, Hall, Hogan and others, combined with that. He was never able to lift it back up. Even Heyman to some extent seems to have been propped up by support from WWF, based on their collaborations during ECW's tenure.

Bischoff's business successes seem to be built on monetising and licencing existing celebrity brands - reality shows, apps, etc. He's a marketeer, not a creator or developer. He's got the charisma that goes with role of course, but for all those reasons, I don't think he belongs anywhere in a wrestling company except in front of the camera, oozing smarm.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

The danger of singling out those promoters for their successes is that the reality is probably much more likely that they had the right people around them rather than the ideas themselves. Vince is credited with changing the game with Wrestlemania, but the more you find out, it was a perfect storm with input by guys like the Fink and Jimmy Hart, not to mention the fact that he stepped into a company his father had built rather than building it from scratch, so he already had the resources to take the risk.

Being one of the guys around them (like Fink or Jimmy Hart) is pretty much exactly what I mean when I say bringing him in as a consultant. Have him there to give feedback and suggestions, and take anything useful and ignore the rest. Not suggesting giving him any control, but he could be a useful guy to have in the room.

• Paid Members

* Last week I was all, how wasteful is a Sammy Guevara vs Matt Hardy feud, and how little excitement anyone could have for it. Well, COLOUR ME STUPID because this week they made me care, and it took both men pulling out all the stops, including a savage colour job from Matthew. Maybe I should listen to Briley sometimes?

* Still no Excalibur and although the commentary wasn't bad, there's absolutely no way that Tony "I haven't watched wrestling for a while and I'm just happy to see such fun" Schiavone should be leading a commentary team in 2020. JR kinda disappeared for a while, and given how good Tony & Taz were as a duo on Dark, it might not be the worst thing. Hopefully Excalibur will be back next week, though.

* That opening TWELVE man, and the important milestone that is the first victory for NINE. Furthering the storylines for a whole bunch of shit, it was a hot opener that didn't even waste time on ring announcements, and played to the strengths of everyone involved, including the aforementioned Nine. Interestingly, Brodie Lee has 6, 7 & 8 crossed out on his tights so sucks to be those guys. The Dark Order are a highlight of stuff lately, and their BTE skits are awesome. Who knew, eh?

* Matt Cardona is *fine* but he's also incredibly unnecessary, taking time away not only from other people who could fill his spot who are already on the roster, but also leaving us with no open challenge. I mean, I get it, and part of me really likes that they remember who their pals are, but sometimes it's just not needed.

* Jon Moxley's run as champion has been a bit odd because of the whole virus thing, and there have been as many misses as hits, but this week was a great example of someone on the top of his game, with an A+ promo and a great main-event with Darby Allin, who actually looked like he was killing himself at times. As much as I love Mox, though, it's time to pull the trigger on MJeff, surely?

* Sue's car got fucked up BAD.

* The debate was SWEET, and I'm still pinching myself that Orange Cassidy is having a top line run with a TV promotion and loving every minute of it. Jericho has done nothing but make stars from day one in AEW and it's massively refreshing to see an "old timer" do that. OC HAS to win next week, yeah?

* No Underground. Boooo.

I had genuinely forgotten about Cardona/Rhodes vs Dark Order. I assume Cardona being let loose from the shackles of WWE means... tiger bombs. Apart from being slightly mesmerised by Cardona holding his arms so straight I thought he was actually devolving into an action figure, I was quite impressed with Reynolds and Silver. I don't watch Dark, but I know they've been teaming for a while there, being the first lot of proper DO recruits. Pretty bland, really, but I liked the little bearded one stomping around the big I-Am, and some of the hit-and-run tag-team flurries were super crisp.

12 minutes ago, Linus said:

Jericho has done nothing but make stars from day one in AEW and it's massively refreshing to see an "old timer" do that. OC HAS to win next week, yeah?

Either that or OC loses and has to pay Jericho the seven grand. He can't, so we get skits of Jericho setting Cassidy increasingly ridiculous tasks to earn the money back, which he somehow does with zero effort, which only infuriates Jericho more.

Basically, I like angry purple Jericho.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

I had genuinely forgotten about Cardona/Rhodes vs Dark Order. I assume Cardona being let loose from the shackles of WWE means... tiger bombs. Apart from being slightly mesmerised by Cardona holding his arms so straight I thought he was actually devolving into an action figure, I was quite impressed with Reynolds and Silver. I don't watch Dark, but I know they've been teaming for a while there, being the first lot of proper DO recruits. Pretty bland, really, but I liked the little bearded one stomping around the big I-Am, and some of the hit-and-run tag-team flurries were super crisp.

Yeah, Cardona was not exactly using the time to show what he had, was he? If he can pull off a heel act, that's pretty much all he's got left in the tank. He wasn't carrying himself interestingly - just smiling a lot.

Reynolds and Silver have been a regular part of Being The Elite, and they've become a big of a highlight. The smaller lad cannot keep a straight face during the skits, which is somehow dorkily lovable. And he seems to crack up every time he's defended as well. "He's just a kid!" "...I'm 29." "He's a fucking idiot!"

Jericho vs Cassidy had been feeling kind of tragic to me, but boy did they turn it around with the debate. They delivered way beyond my expectations. Jericho was back to his electric best, just enough meanness to back up his daft, funny lines. Laconic Cassidy was the biggest his felt since the crowds left. Really looking forward to the rematch now. 

All that Dark Order was a bit much, but the wild opener was AEW tag team madness back at its best. Funny how I hated last weeks indiyriffic shambles - the opener and the Warhorse match was AEW at its dirt worst. This week was a blast. You never know what you're gonna get with this lot.

Moxley had a cracking night. Textbook promo that got him and Darby well over, even in defeat.

MJF is a different mustard.

Jericho and Cassidy definitely felt like another one of those moments where they'd actually thought about what hasn't worked before and looked to fix it. Something WWE rarely does.

So while AEW can be fairly frustrating in its up and down quality, I can't criticise the fact that they do often bounce back.

This may be one to watch (down the line) but following a restructuring, at WarnerMedia, Kevin Reilly, one of the biggest supporters of AEW, and ostensibly the person who got them the TNT deal, has been shown the door.

• Awards Moderator

I’m appalled and disgusted that they have a wrestler called John Silver on the books and they have not given him a pirate gimmick.

Good episode of wrestling from start to finish, that. The 450 onto Hardy was absolutely brutal, and that chair shot even more so. I can’t imagine Matt was up for getting a chair twatted into his face like that, but it’s made me very eager for a Guevara-Hardy match at the next PPV.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, uklaw said:

This may be one to watch (down the line) but following a restructuring, at WarnerMedia, Kevin Reilly, one of the biggest supporters of AEW, and ostensibly the person who got them the TNT deal, has been shown the door.

A lot of people on Twitter freaking out about this. Unnecessarily, I think. With the pandemic, original content is becoming more and more scarce so brand new live programming guaranteed every week is going to be more valuable than ever. Add to that that Dynamite has totally overachieved ratings wise and hasn't even been on air for 1 year yet and have already been renewed for 2 more years they should be safe for the time being. And in comparison to original scripted programming wrestling TV is massively cheaper and better value for money. 

Also, TV executives change fairly regularly. As long as Tony Khan and the top brass have a good relationship with whoever replaces them they should be fine.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

On top of that, there are more places for AEW to go than there were before. There's more to the story than it sounds, but SKY Italia replaced WWE with AEW (some claim WWE dropped Sky, but others dispute - either way, it's not as big there).

In a recent Tony Khan interview, he talked about how little the TNT execs knew about their channel's history of wrestling - so it's not sounding like Reilly was a passionate wrestling fan who was desperate to bring it on board. My guess is that they'll be fine, but obviously you never know.

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Good episode of wrestling from start to finish, that. The 450 onto Hardy was absolutely brutal, and that chair shot even more so. I can’t imagine Matt was up for getting a chair twatted into his face like that, but it’s made me very eager for a Guevara-Hardy match at the next PPV.

Apparently Sammy threw the wrong chair and bust Matt hard way and then got a bollocking over it backstage.

https://cultaholic.com/posts/report-aew-very-upset-with-sammy-guevara-over-chair-spot-on-dynamite