The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

PLUS she gets to run a cooking show of all things on AEW YouTube channel (?!?!?).

It's not really a cooking show - she acknowledges she can't cook. It's actually a fairly light out-of-character interview series. For cheap, easy content, it gets views. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Ok fair enough, but it still feels a bit "hubby I have a fun idea...." to me.

If this was on Dynamite I’d say you’d have a point. But it’s on their YouTube where you can avoid it, always

5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

If this was on Dynamite I’d say you’d have a point. But it’s on their YouTube where you can avoid it, always

Honestly I think you're just trying to score internet points by being argumentative and in the process forgetting what my point is. 

Why would the fact that it's on their official YouTube instead of TV matter? Either it's a segment that has come out of nepotism or not. My point still stands.

My "point" (just as a reminder) was that she's been given side projects to keep her busy and involved, without necessarily having much impact on the main product. This is perfect example of that. In fact being on YouTube supports the point MORE. I never said it was necessarily offensive so I don't know where the whole "you can avoid" barb is about. 

• Paid Members

I think it's less to do with nepotism and more to do with them perceiving her (rightly or wrongly) as a star. Some of the 'Shot of Brandi' interviews have had around half a million views - now, she's not the draw in that, but it's not like she's failing at it. Having someone who isn't going to leave is always useful.

At times, I think she's been too eager to help out on things, rather than desperate for the spotlight. Apparently, the Nightmare Collective stuff was hotshot because Awesome Kong was having confidence issues, so they stuck her with Brandi at the last minute and tried to make it work. The tag-team stuff (which has been mostly off Dynamite) is apparently Brandi's project - if her and Allie win the thing, that could change my mind on it, but I think it's more about trying to give it her all. 

I also think she's in a bit of a can't-win situation at times. She's in there as an EVP and has clearly been doing quite a lot behind the scenes. If she was just there as Cody's valet, she could be slated for not pulling her weight. But anything else she does is slated as being a vanity project or that she's only doing because of who she's married to. I don't see anyone criticising Tony Schiavone or Aubrey Edwards for their video podcast being vanity projects or just designed to desperately get them over. But Brandi gets written off easily with the 'hubby, I have an idea...' attitude.

For the most part, Brandi's been on Dark occasionally, and on Dynamite every now and then. That seems about the right level for her. I'm not convinced that she should have been in the first wave of action figures, but I'm guessing that's an EVP thing. I can see why some of it has come across badly, but I don't think the plan is for things to be built around Brandi either.

The women's division has been unlucky. They've lost a bunch of people they were clearly trying to build it around either through injury or travel, and it takes time to build people up. I really like Shida, and I like Nyla Rose and Britt Baker a lot (after not liking Britt for ages as a face). I think Big Swole has huge potential, but is really green at the moment, and I've been pleasantly surprised by Penelope Ford. This is absolutely the right time for something like the tag tournament - more time on other signings, to see who could work and catch on sounds like a good plan.

• Paid Members

Brandi and Cody both have the same problem in terms of character inconsistency - Cody's a stronger performer, and has managed to work out the worst excesses of it, but Brandi doesn't have the upside to allow that.

A big problem with Cody's matches early on is that he'd wrestle as a heel, but be treated as a babyface. He wrestled as a heel against Darby Allin at Fyter Fest, and then Shawn Spears turned heel on him by attacking him with a chair afterwards. There wasn't a lot of consistency with it, and it was the worst part of Cody's "there's no such thing as faces or heels any more" mentality. He's got better. But whenever Brandi is part of the picture, it gets worse. Brandi can't decide if she's a manipulative heel manager or a supportive face valet, if she needs to hide behind Awesome Kong as her muscle, or if she's prepared to throw herself unprompted at Lance Archer. I'm all for intergender wrestling, but it does nothing for a monster in his first PPV match to have the babyface's valet be so unafraid of them to try and fight them off herself.

Same thing happened in the Women's Battle Royal way back when - Brandi and Kong were both in there at the same time, and Brandi was beating people up and eliminating them with no difficulty. So why did shee need Kong all that time? 

For both of them - but especially Brandi - it all feels a bit Tom & Jerry; they behave in a certain way within the segment/episode you're watching, and then you almost have to hit the reset button and pretend you've never seen them before when you go into the next one, because there's no consistency. 

I don't really care whether it's nepotism or anything like that - there's a lot to be said for hiring the people closest to you because you know you can trust them, and (in theory) know their limitations - and I'm not fussed about what she gets up to on YouTube or social media. But as a character, Brandi Rhodes is atrocious, and in an already largely dreadful (through mismanagement, rather than lack of talent) women's division, seeing her in wrestling gear is absolute change the channel heat for me - there's no justification for her getting ring time in a division already starved for time, with far more talented performers in it than her, and seeing her face plastered over ring trucks, and her getting an action figure, tells me that the company sees her as a star, when I can't think of a single occasion in any company when she's proven herself to be one. 

To Chris B's point - my instinct would be that the perfect time for the tournament is when the restrictions are lifted, you can bring back all the overseas talent and blow people away with a really cool eclectic mix of talent and say - "now we're back to normal, we're back in a big way." Average-poor women's wrestling doesn't interest me, just as average-poor men's wrestling doesn't, and if the talent isn't there to raise it above average-poor, then don't do it. Sadly a lot of women's wrestling with the American talent does fall into that category.

Agree on the Brandi point though. I think a lot of the problem I have is that she seems to draw back to wanting to play heel, when her role in the company should be the opposite. She's very likeable and comes off far warmer than Stephanie in that role.

Cody playing heel has never bothered me because when you're doing face-face matches, somebody has to play subtle heel, and Cody can do it, he's in the best position to because he knows his character and knows how to keep the crowd with him while doing it. It wasn't like him playing heel then actively impeded anything going forward, he was over like a hero always.

Back to AEW Dynamite, a real improvement on last week's wheel-spinner.

Elite vs Dark Order was an okay opener, that really picked up in the character-focussed moments toward the end. Funny how the Elite blurred into the background among the much more interesting characters. Lee just watching Hangman clatter into his minions was really cool, and their face-off and finish was great stuff, really looking forward to their match down the line. Cash Wheeler is 100% one of my must-watch guys at the moment - just so smooth, dynamic and solid. I assumed because Dax looked older, he was the driving force of the team, but Cash is something else. His character's a great fit for hanging with Hangman too - two shit-talking boozers up for a clubbering.

Best Friends vs P&P was fine, but the mini-van angle was REALLY good. The wild swing from P&P looking so dejected in the ring to the hopped-up violence in the post-match was a great contrast and really amped things up. I thought I was tired of BFs vs Inner Circle but this one angle has reignited my interest again. I really like Trent. I like his smoldering swagger, believable selling, solid moveset, and deadpan promos. "You're gonna apologise to my mom... <dramatic pause>... on speakerphone." Chuck can fuck right off though, blubbery telegraphing spot monkey. Top marks to Orrrrrrrrrrrtiz too for wanging that sledge hammer perfectly into the windshield to end the angle.

Holy shit. That debate. First off, agreed that, if behind-the-scenes he's sketchy as fuck, Easy E is money on camera. Goddamn silver fox too. Second of all, OC was absolutely fucking gold, and if anyone doesn't get Cassidy now, they never will. He cares. Oh yeah. He cares. I half-expected this to devolve into non-responses, no-comments, or playground lolz like "... no u". But oh no no. Brilliant work from everyone involved. The tie. Jericho's textbook promo work. Big Jake in a suit. Easy E's brilliant reactions, a masterclass in how to raise your eyebrows without shitting on things (, JR). Get into my veins.

Also, love love love Jericho's brilliant heeling. "Now, I'm gonna kick your ass. Get him, Jake!"

Skipped Hardy vs Guevara, partly because I couldn't get my advert skipping right, partly because I don't really care much for Hardy, and partly because I've found I'm surprisingly uneasy with Guevara getting TV time after his #SpeakingOut controversy. Of course, he went about things the right way, and should be forgiven over time, but it surprised me how, after him being such a must-watch previously, I didn't have the urge to check him out.

The whole main event angle and match were really good. Not a murderous spotfest but something properly developed, interesting and a whole new side to Moxley. Tazz also did a great job on commentary balancing supporting his boys with calling the match. Mox has been hit after hit after hit promo-wise; without Covid, he'd be blowing business up. Allin's one eye glaring out from under the mask, covered in the word "champ", was a great image. I laughed out loud when Mox cold-cocked him in the opening. I don't think there was ever a doubt Allin wasn't going over, but that wasn't the point of this match, and the finish got both men over like champs.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

I really like Trent. I like his smoldering swagger, believable selling, solid moveset, and deadpan promos. "You're gonna apologise to my mom... <dramatic pause>... on speakerphone." 

I cannot WAIT for that speakerphone bit. My hope is that they totally do it, sell it, and have P&P act contrite and agree to the call, and then badmouth Sue over the phone. 

The time the Dark Order underlings tried to recruit Sue was funny as well.

Overall, enjoyed this show a lot. Whenever they kick off fast is always good, and there was plenty to like in that opener. The debate was hilarious - Jericho's face when Cassidy answered the global warming question was superb. And Bischoff was good value too. He's not someone I want running things, but I hope he's around as a consultant, as he does know his stuff.

I agree on the 'finding Sammy Guevara' uncomfortable thing, however I think that's more around the whole situation with women in wrestling than him specifically. He's been the only person suspended and come back, so he's kind of the most visible and high-profile person that's been around for this. As a result, I think some of it is unwarranted - he said something stupid and offensive, has apologised and been punished. It's been handled right, but everything else in the industry has been handled so poorly, I think he's getting a little disproportionate anger/disappointment. 

That said, I'd expect he's in the bad books again for the way he fucking launched that chair at Matt Hardy's face. No wonder Matt was bleeding all over the place. Then again, it is just Matt Hardy.

Loved the main event, and the story told throughout with sad older brother Mox not wanting to do too much damage to Darby. Moxley is really working at the moment for me - the character just feels comfortable and believable. And more big-time than he has in the past. 

One thing I'm really liking about AEW is how everyone has at least one story going on, and some people have multiple ones. Keeps things easy to reheat at any point.

AEW Heels is definitely a big misfire imo.

Expecting a section of the fanbase to cough up more money in the current climate while AEW is doing the absolute bare minimum with the women's division isn't a good look.

I'll give AEW/Brandi the benefit of the doubt that this was started with good intentions but they really didn't seem to think it through. May have gone over better if they made it free for a limited time.

Assholes on social media can of course fuck off.

44 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Bischoff was good value too. He's not someone I want running things, but I hope he's around as a consultant, as he does know his stuff.

No, he doesn't. He didn't even know "The Man" was Becky Lynch's nickname when we was working in WWE, he had to ask who "The Man" was.

• Paid Members

The issue with Brandi is a complete lack of commitment to one idea. It's tough going from backstage interviewer to a proper on-screen role, but when you can't decide what that role is and then swap around every other week when it's not working out, it gives you complete lack of credibility. 
Some people are just better as managers or interviewers, and so far she's one of them. There's no shame in that but she could be a really popular manager if she stuck to it and stopped trying to lead heel factions or wrestle when she's rotten at both.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

No, he doesn't. He didn't even know "The Man" was Becky Lynch's nickname when we was working in WWE, he had to ask who "The Man" was.

I mean more general business and overall approach. I don't mean in terms of knowing the current product, nor do I mean in terms of running things. He has shown a decent understanding of how TV works over the years and how to differentiate things. Keep him away from booking, for sure. And I'll totally admit that he is better at talking a good game than playing one. But as a consultant rather than a leader, I think he could be useful.

Bischoff's a difficult one. You would think someone with his experience would be useful in some way, but yeah it does depend on what the job is and what the knowledge required is etc.

Things have changed a lot since the WCW days, and while I don't think he's against change or innovation at all, his earlier successes don't necessarily guarantee he's got something to offer in 2020.

Vince, Bischoff, Heyman etc.. they've all had their successes but they've certainly had multiple failures over the years too. It's all about tapping into the right areas with them, as well as a little luck along the way.