The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Most memorable Ryder match I can think of is the Get Everyone On The Card Ladder Match at WrestleMania 32 (could be 32) where he won the Intercontinental Title. Mainly memorable in that he was the last person I'd have thought would win it!

And he only got into that match because Adrian Neville hurt his ankle a couple of weeks before the show, otherwise he’d have been in the Andre Battle Royal with the rest of the no-hopers

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Having "something to prove" seems to be the big phrase whenever a small fish leaves the big pond, but I don't know what that means. Like someone said earlier, it must be years since Cardona had a match longer than 8 minutes, so does having "something to prove" mean having matches 15-20 minutes? He's been working in front of arena crowds for his entire career, of course he can have solid TV matches. Solid entertaining 15-20 minutes? AEW's already got dozens of wrestlers who can do that. This isn't Moxley turning up at the G1. 

Well, that's the thing - it might mean something, it might mean nothing. There's been plenty of talk of WWE's system making it difficult for them to create stars. It's not like they've ever taken much of a chance on Zack Ryder, or really tried to get him over. When he was off doing his own stuff, he got himself over to the point where they seemed to work quite hard to slap him back down. 

I'm not saying it's likely. But outside of the WWE system, if someone gave him a shot, could he make a go of it? Could he carry himself better, show more range than he has already? Totally separate from the Zack Ryder character, is there more to him than we've seen? He's being given some kind of opportunity to show that there's more to him than the lower card. 

We don't know how much his inability to reinvent himself was down to him or down to WWE. It might be that Zack Ryder + WWE was a limited combination. And that's not entirely in a 'waah, I was held down' way - just that it might not have been the right environment for him. 

Chances are that there's nothing else to him, and he'll just be the guy he's always been. But whether it's in the ring, character-work or just how he carries himself, if there's something we've not seen, this is his chance to show us.

I wouldn't put money on it happening. But it'd be nice if it does.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Weezenal said:

AEW figures on Smyth's. You're looking at ÂŁ40 for both The Bucks!

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/action-figures-and-playsets/all-elite-wrestling/c/SM06010199 

That’s the price for “elite” figures now days so I don’t think they’re badly priced. Just the price of action figures now days is crazy!

Yeah ÂŁ19.99 is a pretty standard price for a collectable action figure these days (Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series, WWE Elite). Even then, I think 19.99 is pretty good value considering the costs that go into making the product.

The £19.99 price point is aimed at the collectors (adults) who have some disposal income. They aren't competing with a £9.99-£12.99 basic Star Wars toy/Marvel toy/Power ranger so although it seems high vs the toys we used to play with as a kid, it's not primararily aimed at kids.

I think Jazzwares/AEW have done a tremendous job in even getting the figures in Smyths, major props to them for that. I would like to see what kind of shelf space they get in store there. I wonder if any other shops in the UK will sell them. I reckon you will start to see the 1st wave get sold in the Entertainer when the 2nd or 3rd wave comes out.

Hikaru Shida was fantastic when she first came in. Really laying it in and having great matches. Since she moved home permanently to America she's just looked like a nerd cosplaying at being a pro wrestler. Not impressed.

Zack Ryder would be better off just reverting to his 2009 persona than being bland wrestler #whatever. Just be completely over the top.

9 minutes ago, Philjax said:

Zack Ryder would be better off just reverting to his 2009 persona than being bland wrestler #whatever. Just be completely over the top.

He should have done that and kept the beard. Then they could've run an angle where Joey Janela falls into a vat of ooze and emerges as SUPER JOEY like Big Sexy in Ninja Turtles 2.

• Paid Members
On 8/2/2020 at 12:47 PM, unfitfinlay said:

(the Rough Ryder is a really shit finisher)

Can't agree there. I think the problem with it is that he doesn't do it that well, it looks very sloppy - I remember Doug Basham using it as a finish, with more of a snap and drop to it, and it looked nasty.

With the NBA returning, AEW are going to be pre-empted on TNT for a few weeks.

The show that was to be held on August 19th will now air on Saturday 22nd at 6pm ET, August 26th’s Episode Will now be shown on Thursday 27th at 8pm ET, while September 16th’s show will now be September 17th at 8pm ET.

Nothing has been announced yet as to how this will effect International airings or those on FiteTV’s AEW Plus service

• Paid Members

Women’s Tag Tournament started tonight, with the first two quarter final matches on YouTube.

Going in I thought it was a bit shit that this was happening on YouTube rather than Dynamite. However, having now seen it, I understand the thought process. Seemingly only existing so that Brandi Rhodes can do her Poundland Stephanie McMahon heel act again, it’s no wonder they don’t want it on their main show. She’s dreadful in this role. It’s proper go-away heat.

12 hours ago, Supremo said:

Women’s Tag Tournament started tonight, with the first two quarter final matches on YouTube.

Going in I thought it was a bit shit that this was happening on YouTube rather than Dynamite. However, having now seen it, I understand the thought process. Seemingly only existing so that Brandi Rhodes can do her Poundland Stephanie McMahon heel act again, it’s no wonder they don’t want it on their main show. She’s dreadful in this role. It’s proper go-away heat.

Only a matter of time until we get "A Rhode to the Gold" or something. Funny thing is though they'd probably then make the women's division feel like it actually matters.

It's been a downward trend for Brandi ever since they pulled the plug on The Nightmare Collective imo. Sure it was shit but as The Dark Order showed they could have salvaged it if they really wanted to.

Everything since has felt like giving her any old shit to keep her on screen.