The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I know I'm in the minority of opinions in 2020 but punishing someone for saying the N Word 15 years ago as part of a wrestling promo is definitely snowflake material for me. That was clearly a promo, if vince told ziggler to say it to Kofi next week he would.... He would then apologise on SM. Is he still accountable for this promo a decade later? 

We’ve had this conversation before, but if you have to resort to using racial slurs to get heat, you’re a shit at getting heat.

Just because this is wrestling doesn’t give you free reign to bust that sort of shit out.

Anyway, rather than derail the conversation away from AEW- JR sounded like he was in a right cunty mood all night 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

42 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

All except the last one, although I’m sure I’d come across that if I looked long enough.

“Again no one is saying it was right what I’m saying is it was agreed upon to put on a show. The black guy was probably fine with it because he knows it’s an act and he’s getting paid. Do you get mad when an actor in a movie says the word?”

While I’m in no way defending it, Meltz said today that it actually was the black guy that talked them in to it..Steen especially didn’t want to do it but he convinced him. Then afterwards they knew it was a giant fuck up and apologised. Doesn’t change what happened of course and it’s probably one of the biggest regrets for all involved.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

While I’m in no way defending it, Meltz said today that it actually was the black guy that talked them in to it..Steen especially didn’t want to do it but he convinced him. Then afterwards they knew it was a giant fuck up and apologised. Doesn’t change what happened of course and it’s probably one of the biggest regrets for all involved.

ryan reynolds eye roll GIF

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Yakashi said:

Meltz said today that it actually was the black guy that talked them in to it

You only had to scroll up to see Merzbow had said it was Human Tornado. Come on. 

If Brian Cage disappears from tv in the near future, you can bet the clip of him in PWG using the Booker T “I’m coming for you...” line on Willie Mack has started spreading around social media. 

58 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Yes.

So someone we know that is reading from a script in the hypothetical situation I mentioned is still held to account a decade later.  

This is what's killing wrestling, and in fairness other entertainment. Does it have to be video proof or can people aka Michael Hayes and Dustin Rhodes just be blackballed on hearsay? 

They were the first 2 names that I thought of having done much worse things than a racist promo 

• Paid Members

AEW was not good this week. Continuing their routine of following up a successful show with a dud. The MJF promo and Page/Omega/Dark Order stuff was enjoyable. The main event was very average. Everything else was pretty terrible. I'm really quite unhappy about Zack Ryder turning up on the only wrestling show I watch. He fucking sucks and doesn't deserve TV time, especially when other guys who do such as Archer, Dustin and the Lucha Bros don't have anything going on. I've found JR fine when others haven't but he was a right useless miserable cunt this week, as well as missing most his cues and rambling nonsense he actually came across as if he was legitimately trying to sabotage the product by pointing out all the stuff he hated throughout the night. Tony needs to have a word.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Watched it last night and enjoyed it overall. There was some stuff that felt oddly off - the opener didn't grab me, as likable as Warhorse is. Matt Cardona... eh. With the toy line, he's a decent shout, but he doesn't spar excitement. It's really down to him to convince people that he's got more to him - is a more serious Zack Ryder worth anything? I'm sceptical, but I can be won over.

At the end of the tag match, with all the Dark Order chaos going on, the sudden switch to Britt Baker was weird. However, the Dark Order stuff is beginning to work better. Now Brodie has dropped the McMahonisms, it's working better. 

The main event was a lot of fun. Just a fun wild brawl, with a strong open and finish, both designed to get Allin very over. That skateboard spot was ridiculous and brutal, but innovative. 

I'm disappointed that the white wrist tape didn't work out for Hangman.

Next week's show looks like a step-up. And that's fine - the bar at times seems to be that every show should be blow-away, which is setting it pretty high.

Agreed - it was a very middling show by their standards, but they can't have a must-see top to bottom card every week.

Most weeks there's more than enough to enjoy.

I'm not sure I can be won over by Ryder on any show but it's not like I'll be tuning out, so let's see what happens.

Not a terrible show, just not as good as last weeks.

Warhorse was ok. I don't mind Ryder turning up and I'd be more inclined to see Cody turn on him than the other way round, especially with Cody chucking a few heel bits in the last couple of weeks. MJF was great. Main was enjoyable. Can't really ask for much more than that for free TV in the current climate.

• Paid Members

Dynamite thoughts:

* It couldn’t hold a candle to last week’s Eddie Kingston match but WARHORSE did great as Cody’s open challenger. Cody gave him his spots, and the announcers made him sound like a big deal, albeit at a lower level than your usual “AEW superstars”, which is to be expected. He hit everything he needed to hit, and then disappeared when WE KNOW WHO THAT IS! turned up.

* Brodie Lee’s papers made their Dynamite debut after some impressive outings on Being The Elite. I liked the way that Lee made Colt Cabana leave before throwing his tantrum (can’t let the new celebrity Scientology, I mean Dark Order, recruits see the weirdness too soon) - I was less happy with Anna Jay wearing a different get-up to the other recruits, that shit can fuck off.

* Everything involving the Inner Circle and Orange Cassidy is a lot of fun, and the debate next week will be very funny, I expect. I feared for OC when he first came in, that he has a limited number of spots, but he’s still killing it and there’s stuff he’s done on the indies that will work here that he still hasn’t used. All eleven men in this match worked really hard, which was great until the finish.

* Hangman Page’s big drink ruled.

* Normal Matt Hardy against Sammy Guevara is a waste of both men and I struggle to care about it and it was a terrible way to end a really fun opener.

* The women’s match was just “there” again, and I know they’re hamstrung in that half their roster are trapped overseas, and a few others are hurt, but it’s just so much ehhhhhh. I think I may be one of the only people in the world willing to give Cameron a Chance, though, so what do I know?

* They’re hotshotting the Team FTW/Mox/Darby thing and it needs far more time to breathe, and the ridiculousness of it was highlighted when they announced that Tony Khan had booked Mox against “number 5 contender” Darby Allin in a title match next week. What about numbers 1 to 4? Ricky Starks is far and away the best half of his team, though, and got a lovely receipt from Allin for the ropes thing last week - his back looked so hurty!

* That they kept Excalibur off TV because of a fifteen-year old slur which he immediately apologised for at the time, and has repeatedly expressed regret for, is dumb and playing to the shiftless trolls who go looking for this stuff. Taz was decent in his place, but JR got cranky and horrible without Excalibur to anchor the team.

* Also, am I the only one who would watch a feeder promotion featuring Shawn Dean, Will Hobbs, Corey Hollis, Griff Garrison, KiLynn King, Anna Jay, 5, 10, Brady Pierce, Pineapple Pete, Serpentico, Robert Anthony, Joe Alonzo, Skyler Moore, Christi Jaynes, Dani Jordan, Faboo Andre, Rache Chanel, and the like? You can even have the AEW mid-carders headlining shows...

Edited by Linus

Regardless of the unfair comparison with raw authentic Eddie Kingston last week, I thought Warhorse was duff. This was my first time seeing him, and I'd heard nothing about his online presence, which I assume is what got him this gig. Nothing about him clicked for me. Nothing says wildman gimmick like trading chain and counting your steps because you've never worked in a ring this big before. Then climbing the top rope when Cody was on his feet two feet away. He got through without any major fuckups, I suppose. Maybe another name giving haunted mannequin Justin Roberts an excuse to violently gargle at the top of his voice just put me in a bad mood.

Not fussed about Mid Cardona. Sitting at home on a 4+ figure downside for 3 months, anyone would come back looking rock. Nice of him to help his "longtime friend" Cody by waiting for a bit at the top of the stage for effect instead of bolting straight into the ring.

Million man tag was fine. I like the team name Best Friends and Friends. I thought it was unnecessary though. Fuck JR saying what he's seeing and nearly burying Luchasaurus' gimmick because of a ring mishap. I don't care if you do recognise him; in AEW HE'S A DINOSAUR. Jericho vs Cassidy next week, though, has guaranteed me tuning in. I cannot wait for the debate.

Dark Order vs Page/Omega went far too long. Colt did some brilliant work on commentary pushing the angle. The Dark Order still comes across as a bit of a mess, and I think it's Stu Grayson not wearing a mask that does it in for me. The idea of all these wrestlers wearing individual attire but covering up their identity with a mask makes much more sense if everyone is doing it. There's also the big logical angle possible where Colt is finally offered a mask, to basically give up his identity as Colt and become 44 or something, and has to choose. But none of it works if not everyone's playing ball. The same applies to Anna Jay, who'd be much creepier in the full lucha mask rather than the Sancto's ballroom gear.

So double-A chumming up with FTR alongside Hangman while coaching Cody, and Tully still scouting talent with one-time Cody rival Spears trying to work a serious gimmick? Could there be a Horsemen vs Horsemen multiman on the horizon?

Skipped the women's match and most of the rest of the show TBH.

Rewound it to check out MJF's State of the Industry which was understandably brilliant. It actually felt topical rather than heavy-handed, elevated MJF further, as having a group of suits around you always does, and got me properly intrigued in him. I've liked MJF's less flashy, old school, almost holiday camp style work, and always knew he was an obnoxious prick on the mic. If they put the brakes on any Wardlow turn for now, MJF becomes a really good prospect vs Mox. It also adds an interesting spanner in the works, in that the angle between Mox and Team Tazz still doesn't seem over. Shame the sound guy botched his music cue at the end.

Which he did again for Starks' promo.

Does Tazz read the UKFF? That comment about Cage stepping forward seemed odd after last week's complaints on here about the emphasis of their pairing being all wrong.

Skipped the main as I was actually a bit bored by that point. They need to realise singles matches are OK too.

Re: the sub roster, these empty arena shows actually make me miss the early lockdown shows in QT's garage. It can't be that hard to set up a camera and get the rookies on AEW Blast/Fizzle/Young Gunz/Noobs/whatever online for an hour.