The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Just watched the Taz and cage promo on YouTube, and finally worked out who Cage reminds me of with how awkward he is on camera while someone stands and talks about him  - Lou Ferrigno in Pumping Iron

• Paid Members

Chelsea Green put a picture on her Instagram obviously at the show (supporting Ryder) and it's no hidden secret that she's best friends with Britt, so it'll be interesting to see if WWE's pettyness hinders her in any way? She's not been on TV since firing Robert Stone and last I heard she was moving to Raw.

I don't have any issue with AEW signing Cardona, Shawn Spears proved a lot of people (including me) wrong, and I'm more than willing to give the former-Ryder a chance to do the same. 

Arianne is an odd choice to bring in, even if it's just for the tournament. The fact she's teaming with Nyla immediately puts her in a high profile role, and I just don't see the point in that. AEW's Women's Division is weak, and using Arianne as a hook is a very strange decision. 

Impact, WWE, NXT and NWA all have stronger Women's Divisions than AEW. We're nearly one year into Dynamite's existence, and we've not had a women's match headline a show and there doesn't seem to be any prospect of that happening, the division has been booked so poorly. 

Overall I enjoyed the show and I thought MJF was brilliant. I can't wait to see him take on Moxley, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them have a promo battle. 

The Dark Order/Cabana storyline continues to interest me, but I still find it very hard to feel invested in Grayson and Evil Uno. Brodie Lee is doing well right now, but the original Dark Order duo feel a bit out of place in his group, given what it has become. Perhaps they're better off being repackaged. 

The Inner Circle feels dangerously close to jumping the shark for me. The Orange Cassidy feud isn't particularly good, and Jericho's comedy falls a bit flat when there's no live audience. 

• Paid Members

I couldn't give a tin shit about Zack Ryder, and of all the great female wrestlers in the world (some of whom have already had one-offs with AEW) that could be used to flesh out that division, Cameron wouldn't have made my top hundred. 

More than anything else AEW have done, they feel like TNA moves. There's only so many ways they can do "remember this guy?!" before it looks like they're hoping that some WWE credibility will rub off on them. When both their singles champions have already done the "we used to work there, it's better here" schtick, that's about as far as they should take that. There's a fine line between guys like Moxley and The Revival who can quite reasonably say, "WWE didn't know what they had with us, let's show them what I'm capable of with the stabilisers off", and bringing in ex-midcarders and never-weres to featured spots - it starts to look less like giving opportunities to the people WWE didn't know what to do with, and more like taking WWE's cast-offs.

At training years ago, someone was complaining about how Zack Ryder was "buried" or otherwise under-utilised in WWE, and someone replied, "he's done really well for himself, considering he's Zack Ryder". He was a midcard nobody on the third most important brand, and managed to manoeuvre his way into a main event storyline, and keep himself in a job for way longer than was warranted based on the fact that he had no stand-out matches, no stand-out promos, and really nothing remarkable about him at all. 

might be interested in him if he had come in under a completely different persona to try and take the opportunity to re-invent himself, as that would be a chance to see what he's capable of with no restrictions, but the fact that he debuted with his old finish and his old catchphrase on a T-shirt tells me we're just getting warmed over YouTube catchphrases from a decade ago, WWE midcard TV wrestling, and probably with a side order of "I used to be something" bitterness. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Fair play to him for getting so jacked, I guess. Between him and Heath Slater I think we can confirm no-one on a 90 day no-compete gets drug tested.

Haha, exactly my thoughts when Heath Slater turned up at Slammiversary!

Personally I think that Ryder is a good signing though. Look at his social media presence, 2.2m followers on Twitter is over four times the number that AEW has. The main downside is yet another of the Elite's mates being given a job. 

But given that the whole company was built on a gang of geeky mates, which doesn't seem to bother its rabid audience much, I doubt it'll hurt.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

As long as they don't push him above midcard, or make a bigger deal out of his arrival than they should, he's not a bad signing. Solid hand who can make other people look good. We often read/hear people saying "Such-and-Such isn't being pushed enough" to which we often respond "Well, not everyone can be a main-eventer, some aren't good enough, but they have their place to make the general product interesting and make potential main-eventers look good", and Zack Ryder is probably the epitome of that. Sometimes you just need jobbers, and sometimes you need jobbers to the stars.

• Paid Members

That’s the problem though. Even if they‘ve  only signed Ryder to be a solid hand midcarder to make others look good, they’ve already got about thirty of them. They don’t need any more.

Of the six million people they’ve brought in during the Covid era, it’s actually Colt Cabana I’m enjoying the most, simply because he’s doing something a bit new and different. His innocent cult victim character is easily the best thing about the Dark Order and he was great on commentary last night, so tragically oblivious to how obviously they were grooming him.

“The free food is great!”

I don’t agree with most of the things cornette says about AEW, but he’s on the money with “All Friends Wrestling”.

And if Ryder is going to do the friends with Cody then turn on him gimmick, that will be the third time it’s happened since AEW started, which is just insane.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Supremo said:

That’s the problem though. Even if they‘ve  only signed Ryder to be a solid hand midcarder to make others look good, they’ve already got about thirty of them. They don’t need any more.

I guess. I was thinking more slightly upper-midcard - sort of at the Christian-before-he-got-the-belt level. As Gar says, he's got quite a high following on Twitter, which means he'll reach those WWE fans who think wrestlers quit the business once they're released from WWE, and with his level of recognition, he could do some contender-making jobs. That said, I haven't watched WWE in years, so I don't know what his output's been like recently.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

I don’t agree with most of the things cornette says about AEW, but he’s on the money with “All Friends Wrestling”.

And if Ryder is going to do the friends with Cody then turn on him gimmick, that will be the third time it’s happened since AEW started, which is just insane.

To be fair, it used to be a weekly occurrence with Sting.

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I couldn't give a tin shit about Zack Ryder, and of all the great female wrestlers in the world (some of whom have already had one-offs with AEW) that could be used to flesh out that division, Cameron wouldn't have made my top hundred. 

The only logical reason I can think to bring in Cameron would be to pair Nyla with someone people know is shite, meaning she's forced to carry the load and effectively work handicap matches. Essentially, because they want to make Cameron look incredibly weak without damaging someone who could be a viable talent for them in that division. 

Either that, or she's good friends with someone in the company. 

It's a shaky justification at best, but there surely has to be some kind of logic to it. 

If they can’t sign wrestlers who they are friends with, that’s gonna rule out a hell of a lotta people. We aren’t at Lanny Poffo levels yet 

32 minutes ago, Louch said:

If they can’t sign wrestlers who they are friends with, that’s gonna rule out a hell of a lotta people. We aren’t at Lanny Poffo levels yet 

Almost. Luther is signed.

Edited by LWOLeN

AEW (being blunt any promotion outside of WWE) doesn't have a single woman that is even close to main event level so I can't really hold it against them that the women haven't main evented.

The division is weak though I'm not going to deny that and being honest I'm not convinced that management are even interested in making it a serious focal point.

Upside for Cardona is that he looks the part and is in great shape, in a similar way to Billy Gunn its gonna be hard for him loosing to some of there guys being so small or average shape.

Hopefully he can add new elements to his character and not continue on with "woo woo woo" stuff, weither he likes it or not its synonymous with being a jobber.