The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I just watch it on ITV4 so am probably behind everyone else, but the biggest accolade I can give Dynamite is that it doesn't feel like an empty arena show.

Its probably down to the tight camera angles and the presence of some noise, but kudos on that front, with production that would rival the WWE any day.

I thought that Jim Ross was fine, albeit the sheer hypocricy of calling out the WWE for not acknowledging AEW yet not mentioning Diamante's past with Impact despite her having fucking "LAX" splattered over her tights was an eye roller.

Brian Cage just looks weird to me in an AEW ring, but what's he doing feuding with Darby Allin?! That skinny nerd with appalling gear is really being booked as a midcard threat to anyone? I can get it with people like Marko Stunt who's booked as an underdog and an attraction, there should be no place for dweebs like Allin and Jimmy Havoc who just look like shit. At least try and look like a wrestler ffs.

Agree that Eddie Kingston did a hell of a promo before his match, but looked badly out of shape and nothing suggests to me he amount to more than a once a month match on Dark and get completely swallowed up by that bloated roster.

Edited by garynysmon

It doesn't work without the audience but Allin really connected with the fans, he's pretty damn over and is filling that girls and greebo demo that Jeff Hardy used to.

He's wildly different to anything else on the show, pulls off the underdog who won't die shit perfectly. I can believe in him beating a guy like Cage but he'll have to do something really fucking batshit looking to do it.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, danlewis said:

I can’t imagine not getting Eddie Kingston and Darby Allin.

I have no problem with Eddie Kingston, as I said earlier in the thread, he's a brilliant talker and promo.

But one thing that AEW is not lacking right now is managers/mouthpieces. As an active wrestler I just can't see it.

Edited by garynysmon

Yes Allin's a skinny little shit, but the difference between him and countless others is that he actually wrestles like it. He's a threat to everyone basically because he's a threat to himself! He's not going toe to toe with anyone. He'll take a kicking then scream and kick his own ass smashing himself into you. Even the sk8erboi vignettes have shown the levels of pain he'll put himself through to win and express himself. Regardless of any real life wrongness, Allin's done a blinding job.

Edited by CavemanLynn
Added Allin instead of he, in case anyone thought Kingston was a skinny little shit

• Paid Members

Allin is the type of guy you get the impression you would have to kill to finally get him to stay down and uses himself as the heaviest weapon he can throw at an opponent. It's great, you could count him as a viable threat to anyone because he'll happily as I pointed out in a previous post just throw himself full force and speed at you to hurt you even if it breaks himself. 

Kingston is way more than a mouthpiece.

He’s great in ring. Nobody sells as well as him, he’s not flashy but he’s believable.

I honestly don’t think it’s hyperbole to say he’s been one of the best for a long time.

• Paid Members

Allin's the only guy in AEW that makes me feel something when his music hits. Whatever "it" is, he has it.

Kingston would be good in a bodyguard or bounty angle. He has something to offer, but think it's as part of a bigger picture.

Edited by Maverick

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I just watch it on ITV4 so am probably behind everyone else, but the biggest accolade I can give Dynamite is that it doesn't feel like an empty arena show.

Its probably down to the tight camera angles and the presence of some noise, but kudos on that front, with production that would rival the WWE any day.

I thought that Jim Ross was fine, albeit the sheer hypocricy of calling out the WWE for not acknowledging AEW yet not mentioning Diamante's past with Impact despite her having fucking "LAX" splattered over her tights was an eye roller.

Brian Cage just looks weird to me in an AEW ring, but what's he doing feuding with Darby Allin?! That skinny nerd with appalling gear is really being booked as a midcard threat to anyone? I can get it with people like Marko Stunt who's booked as an underdog and an attraction, there should be no place for dweebs like Allin and Jimmy Havoc who just look like shit. At least try and look like a wrestler ffs.

Agree that Eddie Kingston did a hell of a promo before his match, but looked badly out of shape and nothing suggests to me he amount to more than a once a month match on Dark and get completely swallowed up by that bloated roster.

I watch on ITV as well! 

Enjoyed this week, two great, funny heel segments in the first half hour or so from Britt Baker and Jericho in his backstage interview, got a genuine laugh from his “DAMMIT!” at the end. Made up for MJF ripping off the “I’m Scott Malkinson” bit from South Park in his promo.

Cody vs Kingston was good, haven’t seen a thumbtack spot in quite a while so that got the desired reaction from me. 

Jungle Boy Jack continues to improve. Play it right and they’ve got something special with him.

My main bug bear with Cage is that he himself isn't presented as the focus of anything he does, Taz is. Even down to the way they film in ring promo's or vignettes. Tazz is always front and centre, Cage usually hanging behind his shoulder. It makes Cage look secondary to Taz and crucially, smaller than he is. If you say the nearest analog in WWE is Heyman and Lesnar, Lesnar very rarely, if ever stands behind Heyman. They're usually side by side so Lesnar rightly looks like a monster and not a henchman.

Even storyline wise, Darby Allin's beef with Cage is because he's Taz's proxy. Moxley didn't beat Cage, Taz protected HIS investment. Now he's in a stable with Ricky Starks and whoever else is to come, with Taz having said on Dark that he's always looking at talent. If they want Cage to feel special they're not going the right way about it.

• Paid Members

It bothers me that Cage looks like he's blowing out of his arse just walking down to the ring. I'm sure he's s great athlete, but he looks knackered really early into matches. Like when Hercules Hernandez was in his full 1980s, ahem enhanced pomp, but even bigger.

I'm sure he looked leaner and more mobile when he was in Lucha Underground (although I also can't take him seriously outside LU because every time I see him I hear him shouting "I'M A MACHINE" and it gives me a bit of a giggle)

• Paid Members

Mil Muertes looked like the scariest, biggest guy in wrestling in Lucha Underground. The guy is 5 foot 9. The production level at LU was absolutely unreal.

Cage has always looked like he's going to explode or pass out after 5 minutes. Seems textbook of most crazy jacked guys.