The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

13 minutes ago, oliloveslynn said:

https://youtu.be/ezycxm08AMw

Β 

This is the first real Eddie I saw, has such a believable aura that you can really feel that every word he says he believes 100 percent.Β 

Β 

And sorry if you have to click on it, didn't know how to embed itπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ

I love going to see Progress live but my god, they have the worst cameramen/production in all of wrestling. It hurts my eyes watching.

• Paid Members

Weirdly, Kingston was one of the things that didn't work for me at all with NWA Powerrr when I tried it. I think it was that so much about it felt fake to me - the audience, the presentation, etc. I couldn't suspend my disbelief. And Kingston's 'I'm the real thing' approach just didn't fit with that - it felt like someone trying to act in a really naturalistic wayΒ inΒ Β an episode of the 60s Batman show.

So I wasn't massively excited about Kingston turning up - but now I've watched, I get it a lot more. He feels very authentic, and the whole story around him selling his boots to pay the mortgage... yeah, difficult not to root for him. Definitely a babyface there for the future if he sticks around. He feels like a great fit.

20 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Weirdly, Kingston was one of the things that didn't work for me at all with NWA Powerrr when I tried it. I think it was that so much about it felt fake to me - the audience, the presentation, etc. I couldn't suspend my disbelief. And Kingston's 'I'm the real thing' approach just didn't fit with that - it felt like someone trying to act in a really naturalistic wayΒ inΒ Β an episode of the 60s Batman show.

So I wasn't massively excited about Kingston turning up - but now I've watched, I get it a lot more. He feels very authentic, and the whole story around him selling his boots to pay the mortgage... yeah, difficult not to root for him. Definitely a babyface there for the future if he sticks around. He feels like a great fit.

I absolutely agree, he stuck out like a sore thumb. It felt like he was out of a different universe toΒ characters like The Question Mark and ShooterΒ Stevens. He’s a far better fit in AEW, should they choose to sign him.

I’d like to see him as a heel though. Every threat he made in that promo felt plausible, as if he might actually do Arn serious damage if he pissed him off enough.

Although the AEW roster is bloated, they don’t really have a character quite like him on their books, unless I’m totally forgetting someone.

Edited by RedRooster

That tag team list is fascinating, but I think it highlights a small issue AEW has in that they don't rotate through their talent enough.

Every week they seem to focus on the same talent. I can't see why they can't give certain acts the week off and feature other talent. I understand there is Dark, but by having talent featured primarily on Dark sticks them in the "they don't really matter" zone. And you end up with a situation whereby Sonny Kiss is suddenly challenging for the TNT Championship with zero build.Β 

And yeah, shit that sneak attack by Starks was borderline wreckless (video below). I hope he apologised after that. Mind you I love the look of the guy and I reckon him vs Allin will be a great match when it happens:
Β 

Β Β 

7 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

That tag team list is fascinating, but I think it highlights a small issue AEW has in that they don't rotate through their talent enough.

Every week they seem to focus on the same talent. I can't see why they can't give certain acts the week off and feature other talent. I understand there is Dark, but by having talent featured primarily on Dark sticks them in the "they don't really matter" zone. And you end up with a situation whereby Sonny Kiss is suddenly challenging for the TNT Championship with zero build.Β 

This is something that I think a lot of companies struggle with - whether under-utilising talent or over-exposing them.

It's a very fine line isn't it? You can't build someone up properly if they're only appearing every few weeks. You need that momentum and you need to keep them fresh in peoples minds, but you also don't want your audience to start getting sick of them either.

This is really where they should be utilising video packages or interviews etc. It doesn't take much to keep a particular act in the spotlight. It doesn't need to be constant match after match every week. Vignettes and stuff like that can do far more for your character building than random matches.

I think they're doingΒ okayΒ but they could absolutely do better. Although WWE are far worse for it, especially considering the amount of TV time a week they've got. There's no excuse.

After seeing the list of matches they have on Dark for this week coming, I’d rather they just stoppedΒ bringing guys in that don’t need for tv than have them there doing 25 matches for YouTube show each week. Seems senseless in current worldΒ 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Louch said:

After seeing the list of matches they have on Dark for this week coming, I’d rather they just stoppedΒ bringing guys in that don’t need for tv than have them there doing 25 matches for YouTube show each week. Seems senseless in current worldΒ 

Most the people who play the crowd during Dynamite are local wrestlers. My guess is instead of paying them they give them a match on Dark for some air time, exposure and the chance of getting a contract or a spot on TV (such as Pineapple Pete).

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Most the people who play the crowd during Dynamite are local wrestlers. My guess is instead of paying them they give them a match on Dark for some air time, exposure and the chance of getting a contract or a spot on TV (such as Pineapple Pete).

They get paid

• Paid Members

Just read an interview with Orange Cassidy, turns out Tony Khan came up with the "this time he's going to try" line that went over so well.

Appears AEW also did a good rating too, my Twitter is filled with loads of boring demo shite.

Edited by LaGoosh