The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Have AEW acknowledged the arm injury? I don't really like the idea that, for the finish to make sense, I'd have to be aware that Cage had been out with an injury before even signing with the company. It's not something I'd expect the audience to know off-hand - I certainly didn't. 

It was talked about on commentary throughout the match. I thought they did a really good job at the end of the match in particular - JR talked about throwing in the towel being a wise decision by Taz, and Jericho reacted with disbelief, asking JR to explain his thinking. JR explained that Cage was in his prime, but had spent 5 months out injured, so the last thing you would want is him out for another 5 months. Jericho then accepted that, and referred back to it later - 'Now I get it, now JR's explained it to me, I get why Taz did this'.

Jericho was hilarious right at the end too. After being freshly outraged every time the footage of the orange juice drenching was shown, just as they cut off, he randomly screamed "I'm covered in orange juice!".

• Paid Members

Funny you say that just reminded me about that FTR Vs Lucha Bros match. What a fucking shit show that was. I'm pointing to Fenix and especially Pentagon for that one. Pentagon is probably rusty or out of shape with being out of action/stuck in Mexico for so long. 

Despite any of the negative stuff in this thread, some of which I agree with and some of which I don't, it's the only wrestling show that I've been able to continue with during this time. I'm invested in a lot of the roster. WWE's Raw and Smackdown has been unbearable during the Covid period, and I binned off NXT around the end of last year as I couldn't cope anymore with the endless Gargano/Cole/Ciampa forced epic bollocks. As well as Keith Lee and Dijakovic bouncing around as if they think they are Rey Mysterio. 

So if it wasn't for Dynamite, I'd be down to just catching pieces of WWE PPV's now, but AEW give me enough reasons, often enough, to regularly tune in. 

• Paid Members

Jericho could have quite easily accepted the AEW gig as an easy payday and done the bare minimum like most EX-WWE guys did in TNA but he's been turning in gold every week he's been there, is working his arse off to get literally everything over and is the most entertaining character in wrestling for years. This run has cemented him as one of the all time greats to me.

I enjoyed this weeks show.

Jericho was great throughout, the moment he jumped on commentary i find myself watching the matches I'd normally fast forward too. Had no issues with the OJ juice after the Omega situation. Both were different enough and fed into the stories. 

Last match, i think the finish was as good as they could conjure up. Where the booking was a bit iffy for me was cage doing a beat down after when he should have been selling the arm.

The Jurassic express vs Elite was loads of fun. As was FTR vs Lucha Bros where they finished it in such a way that they can go again. 

Plenty of good within the show to leave me happy. 

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Jericho could have quite easily accepted the AEW gig as an easy payday and done the bare minimum like most EX-WWE guys did in TNA but he's been turning in gold every week he's been there, is working his arse off to get literally everything over and is the most entertaining character in wrestling for years. This run has cemented him as one of the all time greats to me.

It's his chance to prove to the world that he's as good as he's always told other people he is.

And actually in terms of reinventing himself and staying relevant over such a prolonged period of time, it's pretty hard to argue against now.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I think that’s what made this week’s Jericho segment feel so jarring. It was a big misfire coming from a guy who’s been hitting home runs since he arrived. The only other time this has happened was that segment where Matt Hardy was teleporting all over the arena. You wonder if Jericho’s been booking most of his own stuff and these were the few times when he took on someone else’s idea. To quote the man himself - a stupid idea from bad creative. It definitely feels like there’s been a shift in the writing process this past week though. Something is definitely up. I just hope they get ahold of it again like they did after Christmas. Send Brandi and Allie back to Dark.

Edited by Supremo

4 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I really don't think promoting that Cage had a previous arm injury would lead to any new viewers or extra interest in the match.

There was no need for it to be the be-all and end-all of the angle, but after a string of shows where the heel hypes that he's got the champion's number, it would have made the build that one bit more intriguing by having the champ turn round the week before and shit up the heel by letting him know he knows his weakness. This was especially considering it played into the final spot of the match. Not a dealbreaker, but a waste of an extra bit of spice.

31 minutes ago, Sheffbag said:

Watched over the weekend. Was Cody pissed off at the start of the match , seemed to be a little hard and stiff. 

It's all part of what looks like a slow turn. Instead of the open challenge biting him in the arse and getting more desperate to cling onto it, it looks like they're spinning it as him getting cocky and disrespectful from winning all the time. They made a big point, which I liked, of showing Arn pulling him to one side and yelling at him to get his head out of his ass. That combined with the emphasis on Tully in the crowd adds weight to the idea of an AEW Horsemen stable on the horizon.

Personally I think it's madness they'd even consider turning Cody heel at this point. He's capable of being the most believable and supportable babyface they have. Sure, his matches rarely live up to the character work, but this is a guy that people really want to support. I'd be disappointed if they went down the heel turn route already.

7 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Personally I think it's madness they'd even consider turning Cody heel at this point. He's capable of being the most believable and supportable babyface they have. Sure, his matches rarely live up to the character work, but this is a guy that people really want to support. I'd be disappointed if they went down the heel turn route already.

I’d have agreed with you earlier this year, but he’s cooled off quite a lot since becoming TNT champion.

Cody’s strong point in AEW has been the fact his storylines are generally fantastic, even if his matches aren’t always. His ‘title defence every week’ run isn’t allowing him to have the storyline moments he needs to keep up his character’s momentum. And the matches he’s been having have been pretty average.

Something needs to change with Cody, whether it’s a heel turn or something as simple as a change to how he’s being presented as TNT Champion. 

In the past few days, I think I've witnessed two of the worst finishes to matches that I've seen. Tazz throwing in the towel to 'protect his investment'. Absolute bollocks. Who does that in wrestling? First thing I'd do (in kayfabe world) if I were Cage, would be to sack him off. Nobody comes out of that looking good, including the booker. They've made Cage look like a chump. Different thread, I know, but Asuka (nearly called her Kana there...old habits die hard) vs Sasha was fucking embarassing, for the whole company. Why even bother. Bring back puppy wrestling.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I’d have agreed with you earlier this year, but he’s cooled off quite a lot since becoming TNT champion.

Cody’s strong point in AEW has been the fact his storylines are generally fantastic, even if his matches aren’t always. His ‘title defence every week’ run isn’t allowing him to have the storyline moments he needs to keep up his character’s momentum. And the matches he’s been having have been pretty average.

Something needs to change with Cody, whether it’s a heel turn or something as simple as a change to how he’s being presented as TNT Champion. 

I think it's quite a tough thing to maintain any hot streak without the fans you know? Not  that they couldn't be booking him better or whatever, but there's no doubt that having people behind you really helps fire up certain characters, and I do think Cody is one of them.

A lot of it is just meaningless matches at the moment, which might be a deliberate choice in the COVID era. I'm not sure. I do wonder how we'd be looking if we hadn't had such strange times.