The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

If it’s Kenny himself that doesn’t want to be a star then Tony needs to tell him to stop being a geek and start playing for the team in the right position. He’s being paid a shit load of money to run a shit women’s division and be a mid carder being less and less special with every tv show.

I don’t believe Tony has the balls to do anything about it but someone should tell Kenny that he’s not far off 40 and now is the time for him to be the guy. 

• Paid Members

If Kenny Omega is trying to do a Nakamura then he’s failing badly.

Rather than doing the lazy American style Kenny is still smashing himself up doing all the mad bumps. Plus, he’s an EVP, so surely the money he’s making is directly linked to the success of the company? It’s not the same at all. If he’s going to still wrestle like he’s in New Japan why not also try and be a star like he was there, in order to help the company he runs and make him and his mates more money? Unless they aren’t mates anymore. To be honest, the way the show felt this week it wouldn’t shock me at all to learn none of the EVPs talk to each other anymore and just submit their segments privately and without any collaboration.

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t Kenny a genuine draw in Japan? Wasn’t he partly responsible for some big Tokyo Dome attendances? If nothing else he certainly felt like a big deal when I started watching after the first Okada match.

Someone posted this photo on Twitter yesterday. What a difference two years can make.

75DE8324-8A81-4741-B8AC-12920DD395F0.thumb.jpeg.09563395f34c48768de38bf49e9d71eb.jpeg

I never could’ve imagined one guy becoming a Ziggler-style workrate midcard wanker and the other bragging about shitty ratings and demos, quote-tweeting Bryan Alvarez like a fucking loser.

What I will say about AEW though is that even when they have a bad show like this week they still at least inspire interest and discussion. It’s not like Raw where it’s not even worth watching or caring about anymore.

Something I also haven’t seen mentioned elsewhere is what a revelation Marko Stunt was this week. Them throwing him around like a toddler to allow for those crazy video game moves was so much fun. I’ve never been one to complain about him, he’s took some great beatings and made for some brilliant squash matches, but this performance here should surely prove there’s a spot for him in AEW. Even the One Winged Angel he took looked fucking brutal for how small he was and how hard he took it. I’ve got a huge soft spot for him. Plus - let’s never forget - it was hilarious on the Jericho Cruise when he suddenly revealed he was actually a much better singer than Jericho himself during his cameo appearance.

Omega was pretty huge in Japan. Tokyo dome sellouts, great business. He was huge (as huge as you can be outside wwe) in the US too. Almost every show he appeared on did record business. Now he’s a guy doing moves and being a geek on tv.

It’s as if Cody is the only one of the guys in charge that gets it. He’s the least talented of them all and is the only one even approaching being a star.

Not sure where these Omega (Japan) stats are coming from. The PPV events over recent years have generally been in the region of a full house..I'm talking about Edion Arena & the likes. WrestleKingdom has drawn as follows:

2015 - 36,000 (Omega v Taguchi) - Jr. Title

2016 - 25,000 (Omega v KUSHIDA) - Jr. Title

2017 - 26,000 (Omega v Okada) - IWGP TItle

2018 - 35,000 (Omega v Jericho) - U.S Title

2019 - 38,000 (Omega v Tanahashi) - IWGP Title

2020 - 40,000 (without Omega)

He was a draw, of course he was, but unless we're completely discounting; Shibata, Nakamura, Okada, Suzuki, Naito, Ibushi, Tanahashi, AJ, Ishii, Jericho.....I'd find it difficult to draw any great conclusion from that.

I wasn't suggesting he'd gone to AEW for a sleep & a payday, but there's no great need for him to have '7-star' matches. Who, on that roster, would he be having them against anyway?...not Cody, that's for damn sure & particularly not in empty fucking arenas.

Do AEW think it's OK to air stuff on TV, where the picture freezes multiple times? It's almost every fucking week. The opening match this week became completely unwatchable. Rank amateur stuff.

Edited by KingofSports

1 hour ago, Yakashi said:

Omega was pretty huge in Japan. Tokyo dome sellouts, great business. He was huge (as huge as you can be outside wwe) in the US too. Almost every show he appeared on did record business. Now he’s a guy doing moves and being a geek on tv.

Kenny in Japan

7bcd8-15768844742647-500.jpg

He’s always been a geek, are people only just realising this? 

New Japan do the best ‘Wrestling’ in the world, is Kenny good? Yeah of course but it’s not like he was “The Draw” there, when he finally won the big one fans over there got bored of him quickly. 

How the fuck have they managed to put Allie back in the ring? She was the drizzling shits in Japan, no better in TNA and makes Velvet Sky look like Akira Hokuto. Other than being wed to Braxton 'Blade' Sutter, I'm not sure why she's there at all. Brings less than nothing to the party.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

Who, on that roster, would he be having them against anyway?...not Cody, that's for damn sure & particularly not in empty fucking arenas.

Dustin Rhodes had one against Cody, IIRC. Cody may not be the most talented worker in the ring, but he's solid enough to shine when paired with someone great.

The Bunny gimmick was just about right for Allie, I was thinking she'd go back to the hipsters after fucking with QT and starting a fued betwen the two teams but it seems like they're really trying to push this Nightmare Sisters team.. I really don't need to see her or Brandi wrestle.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

Do AEW think it's OK to air stuff on TV, where the picture freezes multiple times? It's almost every fucking week. The opening match this week became completely unwatchable. Rank amateur stuff.

Where are you watching it?

33 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Dustin Rhodes had one against Cody, IIRC. Cody may not be the most talented worker in the ring, but he's solid enough to shine when paired with someone great.

He was bang average in Japan. Looked like a star, but sure as hell didn't perform like one. Haven't seen the match you mentioned, so I can't comment. He's hardly knocking it out of the park at the moment. I was making a more general point anyway. It's a different ethos in Japan. Just about every gaijin I've heard interviewed says so and it's pretty obvious to anyone who has eyes...waits for the 'because Japan' comments.

It'll be easier to judge AEW once all the talent is available. It's a bit of a mess at present and they could do to nick half a dozen women from TNA.

Who's going to take a chance on Tessa? She is a star...like her or not.

Edited by KingofSports

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Where are you watching it?

In my living room. Sorry. ITV4 or ITV4+1 on SKY. No problems with my signal quality & it's the only show that not just does it, but does it repeatedly.

-Edit- Unless of course, it's an ITV issue, what with their hub and everything. I don't know how shit works these days.

Edited by KingofSports
edit

I watch it on Fite and very rarely have any problems.

I have a theory that Omega is trying to tell a meta story through his career that's tied to his sense of self worth. Basically Kenny Omega deep down feels worth less without a partner. He couldn't win the big one in Japan until he had Kota back and on his own in AEW he was portraying himself as lost until the team with Page. Everything has been largely rosey for Kenny since then. They've had a good run with the titles and Kenny got the win in Stadium Stampede. The pull apart with FTR last week where Page sided with FTR and the swilling this week feel like the trigger points for Kenny losing it and going back to something like The Cleaner after his team with Page breaks down. Quite how a Western audience will take to dastardly anime villain Kenny is a different matter. 

This is of course, just a theory and could be utter bollocks, but I've heard him say in interviews that he had a story he wanted to tell, whether it's this one or even whether the audience want that kind of story are again, different matters.

Edited by BrodyGraham

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, KingofSports said:

He was bang average in Japan. Looked like a star, but sure as hell didn't perform like one. Haven't seen the match you mentioned, so I can't comment. He's hardly knocking it out of the park at the moment. I was making a more general point anyway. It's a different ethos in Japan. Just about every gaijin I've heard interviewed says so and it's pretty obvious to anyone who has eyes...waits for the 'because Japan' comments.

It'll be easier to judge AEW once all the talent is available. It's a bit of a mess at present and they could do to nick half a dozen women from TNA.

Who's going to take a chance on Tessa? She is a star...like her or not.

I'm aware of and a fan of the Japan ethos (to the annoyance of many on here), although I'm more of a King's Road guy than a Strong Style one, but Cody's probably better suited to an American style, and for that he doesn't need to have been great at the Japanese style. The match with Dustin was tremendous, which is more an endorsement of Dustin's ability than Cody's, but it still takes a certain level of ability to work with an opponent that good to produce that good a match. 

I haven't seen as much of Cody in AEW as I'd have liked, so I can't comment on his general consistency, however.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BrodyGraham said:

I watch it on Fite and very rarely have any problems.

I have a theory that Omega is trying to tell a meta story through his career that's tied to his sense of self worth. Basically Kenny Omega deep down feels worth less without a partner. He couldn't win the big one in Japan until he had Kota back and on his own in AEW he was portraying himself as lost until the team with Page. Everything has been largely rosey for Kenny since then. They've had a good run with the titles and Kenny got the win in Stadium Stampede. The pull apart with FTR last week where Page sided with FTR and the swilling this week feel like the trigger points for Kenny losing it and going back to something like The Cleaner after his team with Page breaks down. Quite how a Western audience will take to dastardly anime villain Kenny is a different matter. 

This is of course, just a theory and could be utter bollocks, but I've heard him say in interviews that he had a story he wanted to tell, whether it's this one or even whether the audience want that kind of story are again, different matters.

This is pretty much what I think as well.If it works, the payoff could be really good.