The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

It really needed to be explained better for fans who arn't aware of the original belt. I think it's a really smart idea - the guy who invented his own world title because the legitimate champ was too injured to defend it, resurrects that title and gives it to his charge whose own world title match has just been postponed. It's a lovely bit of storytelling. But it's all for nothing if they're not gonna explain that story. 

Say 50% of people who arn't aware of the belt Google it (and that's probably a generous figure), that's still a huge amount of your fanbase you're neglecting.

6 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

It really needed to be explained better for fans who arn't aware of the original belt. I think it's a really smart idea - the guy who invented his own world title because the legitimate champ was too injured to defend it, resurrects that title and gives it to his charge whose own world title match has just been postponed. It's a lovely bit of storytelling. But it's all for nothing if they're not gonna explain that story. 

Say 50% of people who arn't aware of the belt Google it (and that's probably a generous figure), that's still a huge amount of your fanbase you're neglecting.

But I think the 50% who didn't think to Google it are happy enough watching without knowing every intricate detail and if used right the story should explain the belt going forwards anyway. 

Personally I would have preferred the FTW belt to be unveiled and given to Cage after he failed to win the world belt from moxley in a screwy finish that gave him a claim to say he should be the world champ 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, NavigatorFan said:

But I think the 50% who didn't think to Google it are happy enough watching without knowing every intricate detail and if used right the story should explain the belt going forwards anyway. 

Yeah, you may be right about that. 

I just think, for the sake of adding 30 seconds to Taz's promo, it seems mad they introduce a 'new' championship and don't explain its meaning.

17 minutes ago, NavigatorFan said:

Personally I would have preferred the FTW belt to be unveiled and given to Cage after he failed to win the world belt from moxley in a screwy finish that gave him a claim to say he should be the world champ 

I get what your saying, but AEW don’t seem to do screwy finishes, at least not in the traditional sense. They haven’t had a DQ or a Count Out since they launched. JR has alluded to DQs on commentary a few times but they’ve never followed through on it as a finish, at least not yet.

With that being the case, I reckon Cage is getting pinned tonight, but depending on how competitive they book it will dictate if the feud continues or if he’s onto something else afterwards.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Yeah, you may be right about that. 

I just think, for the sake of adding 30 seconds to Taz's promo, it seems mad they introduce a 'new' championship and don't explain its meaning.

He made reference to 'This is something I created decades ago, it wasn't officially recognised, but real fans knew it had meaning'. If people want the actual history, they can go looking for it. As they can't show the footage, going more into the history would seem like complicating it, I think. "So, there was this guy called Shane Douglas..."

33 minutes ago, Chris B said:

He made reference to 'This is something I created decades ago, it wasn't officially recognised, but real fans knew it had meaning'. If people want the actual history, they can go looking for it. As they can't show the footage, going more into the history would seem like complicating it, I think. "So, there was this guy called Shane Douglas..."

You wouldn’t necessarily have to do that. Taz was already accusing Moxley of being a coward, he could have talked about how he came up against a coward World Champion during his career, and took things into his own hands and now history is repeating itself. Instead he talked about how iconic a moment this was without ever making it clear why. 

Tony Khan seems to be a walking encyclopaedia when it comes to wrestling, I do wonder if he thinks that level of knowledge is more common in the wrestling fan community than it actually is. 

I’m happy for Brian Cage that his ‘mom’ Taz is present at ringside to timely save him from embarrassment on live TV.

Talk about a deflating finish. 

Edited by LWOLeN

On a point I made last week about Tony arguing with geeks on twitter about ratings, they’re so “happy” that they’ve got Chris Jericho out on TV with a new demo ratings winner gimmick. Talking about ratings on tv is wcw levels of awful, especially when your show us one of the lowest rated in the history of wrestling on national tv. You don’t do this unless you’re completely gotten to. And by twitter geeks no less.

9 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

On a point I made last week about Tony arguing with geeks on twitter about ratings, they’re so “happy” that they’ve got Chris Jericho out on TV with a new demo ratings winner gimmick. Talking about ratings on tv is wcw levels of awful, especially when your show us one of the lowest rated in the history of wrestling on national tv. You don’t do this unless you’re completely gotten to. And by twitter geeks no less.

I think it works to a degree with Jericho because his gimmick is egotistical to care enough about his ratings.

5 hours ago, LWOLeN said:

I’m happy for Brian Cage that his ‘mom’ Taz is present at ringside to timely save him from embarrassment on live TV.

Talk about a deflating finish. 

Yeah that was pretty disappointing. I thought they did a decent job together before that.

3 minutes ago, Jacko said:

I think it works to a degree with Jericho because his gimmick is egotistical to care enough about his ratings.

Agreed - it plays into his character perfectly.

• Paid Members

Someone correctly mentioned recently that most of the stuff they’ve put out since the pandemic began has felt like a holding pattern. How depressing then that instead of the show returning to that fantastic standard between January and March of this year, where a consistent vision led to some of the best TV in years, this felt like a return to the disjointed, messy and downright bad standard of December 2019.

Bringing in Vickie Guerrero felt like one ex-WWE star too far, crossing that line into TNA territory. You don’t have to give a job to everyone, Tony.

The Jericho/Cassidy thing was one of the worst segments in the history of the show. Banging about ratings and demos like a bunch of losers, a shitty WWE-style, “prank,” that didn’t suit Orange’s character at all and someone getting drenched and embarrassed literally minutes after they’d done a similar thing with Kenny Omega. Awful.

Maybe the shit segment that preceded it put me in a bad mood but Jericho on commentary seemed to jump the shark, too. He was outright annoying and hard to listen to.

Equally as weird was both Kenny Omega and Cody Rhodes doing the subtle heel mannerisms on the same show. Is everyone back to writing their own shit regardless of what else is on the show? It would explain why Brandi is slowly creeping back to Nightmare Collective levels of exposure.

On the plus side, Moxley looked better for having the buzzcut but the sooner he shaves the whole thing off the better.

Edited by Supremo

Completely agree with @Supremo. This show was a disjointed mess. 

I don't have any problem with them bringing in Vickie Guerrero, I really don't, but at face value the partnership with Nyla Rose seems an odd one. Nyla is a brilliant promo, and her bully, monster character doesn't really benefit from having an annoying, pest heel as her manager. 

Vickie as Britt Baker's representative? That could work. Vickie and Shawn Spears, freeing up Tully to do something else? I could see that working too. But this? I'll reserve judgement, but as it stands it seems to me like it will take away from Nyla's character rather than add to it. 

I also think AEW seriously overestimates the investment people have in in-ring action when there's no backstory behind it. Good wrestling matches have never felt so boring. 

• Paid Members

It’s also bewildering that they’re bringing Vickie Guerrero in now, when the best thing about her has always been the nuclear heat she could generate from the fans. There’s no fucker there to boo her.

Plus, even when America can have fans again, sometime in 2025, I’m not even sure AEW fans will give Vickie that same reaction she used to get in her heyday. She’ll just be there because of what she used to do and where she used to work. It’s TNA as fuck.