The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

6 hours ago, Maverick said:

Tony is still the MVP though, seems to be genuinely having a ball. His interactions with the talent are great too. 

Good point. The reason why the Britt Baker notes work is because Tony reads them. He doesn't oversell it, he doesn't eyeroll too much, it's right about perfect. 

• Paid Members

Britt Baker is posting pics on Twitter from when she broke her nose months ago but is claiming they're from this week when Swole pushed her assistants hand into her face. She's absolutely great. A revelation as a heel.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Wrestling logic. It's the same reason why Stone Cold doesn't just hit the Stunner straight away. There is no reason.

This reminds me that when I was a kid I would make sense of wrestling logic by telling myself some utter shite, like Big Show needs his opponent to be standing at exactly the correct angle before his KO punch can work which is why he doesn't do it straight away.

My favourite however was I used to play out a little scenario in my head where Billy Kidman would visit his opponent that night in their locker room before the match and make a bet with them that they couldn't powerbomb him, thereby explaining the spot he did in every single match.

5 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

My favourite however was I used to play out a little scenario in my head where Billy Kidman would visit his opponent that night in their locker room before the match and make a bet with them that they couldn't powerbomb him, thereby explaining the spot he did in every single match.

God that one always bugged me. I'd love it if there was a match where the commentators harped on about how "Billy Kidman can't win this match... the opponent just won't set up for a powerbomb."

I can justify I lot of finisher logic, but the one thing that always bugs me is when a wrestler has the same setup for two major moves. 

Like if you have a run up Roman Reigns, why the fuck don't you hit the spear straight away and bother with that superman punch? Or when a wrestler uses a frog splash when his finisher is a 450 splash. 

As a commentator it makes me look like a dumbass when I go "HERE IT IS! He's going for the pumphandle driver.... and... oh... he just went for a pump handle slam. And he kicked out. Well of course he did."

Moxley had some bad luck during his reign.
He was red-hot last year when he debuted.

Despite the lack of actual title defenses, he cooled off Brodie Lee and Jake Hager by simply beating them in their first matches.

Lance Archer was already cooled off by Cody.

Jericho doesn’t need the belt now.

I cannot imagine AEW sacrificing Brian Cage also this soon and cooling him off already with a loss. Fans need to be conditioned in believing that winning the Double or Nothing Ladder match means that we get a new Champion. It’s like AEW’ Royal Rumble/MITB.

If the first winner already loses the eventual title match than we are conditioned to believe that winning the match isn’t a big deal.

In short: Brian Cage is going to win the belt this Wednesday or he gets some kind of ‘w’ because Moxley DQ’s himself. I have a feeling they are going to do some kind of Vader vs Sting finish from GAB 1992. 

My money is on Brian Cage to become the next AEW Champion.

Edited by LWOLeN

10 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

In short: Brian Cage is going to win the belt this Wednesday or he gets some kind of ‘w’ because Moxley DQ’s himself. I have a feeling they are going to do some kind of Vader vs Sting finish from GAB 1992. 

I can see this, but at the same time, it's really weird that they've given Cage his own (self proclaimed) championship in the form of the FTW title. Why have that if he's going to win the belt? Or why have that and then weaken it by having him lose.

Only thing I can think of is some sort of screwy finish where Cage is the "rightful" winner but Moxley technically retains the title, allowing Cage to go around and brag that the FTW championship is the "real" world title.

1 hour ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

I can see this, but at the same time, it's really weird that they've given Cage his own (self proclaimed) championship in the form of the FTW title. Why have that if he's going to win the belt? Or why have that and then weaken it by having him lose.

Only thing I can think of is some sort of screwy finish where Cage is the "rightful" winner but Moxley technically retains the title, allowing Cage to go around and brag that the FTW championship is the "real" world title.

Yeah good point. Moxley could go nuts and DQ himself. Retains the belt and Cage remains undefeated. They can have a rematch in an unsanctioned match.

This would be the ‘WWE way’ of booking. However AEW rarely has DQ finishes and ‘not winning’ the belt immediately cools off Cage in my mind.

It would be a huge ‘50-50 booking’ cop out. WWE ruined themselves doing this over and over again.

Tony Khan has been paying Brian Cage since January and paid for all his rehab. He has invested a lot of money in him and listening to a recent podcast he loves Brian Cage and sees him as an AEW World Champion.

Something tells me they will be strapping a rocket to Cage this Wednesday. Moxley can chase the belt back and win the FTW Title In the ‘Unsanctioned rematch’ as the belt is not officially recognized.

I really feel like going ‘against all odds’ on this one. I really see Brian Cage getting a ‘w’.

He will be AEW’s next big megastar and ‘unstoppable machine’. If would do much more for Mox to chase the title back. I trust Moxley knows what’s good for business.

Edited by LWOLeN

If Cage doesn’t win, we are indeed on a path of new guys coming in can’t match up to biggest stars. So don’t book your Archers, Lee’s and Cages against the tops stars immediately and build them first, have someone coming in win big, or risk everyone coming in being seen as not a true threat 

I hope they don't put the belt on Cage, I cannot stand him. I have no idea why but he just irritates the fuck out of me no end and not even in a good heel way. He is complete turn off material for me. 

Moxley has not had the most memorable of runs and dare I say he is probably a bit overrated any way. Other than Jericho or Hangman I can't think of anyone I would want to see holding the belt at the moment which is a bit of a shame really as I was quite excited about Moxley coming in. 

1 hour ago, Louch said:

If Cage doesn’t win, we are indeed on a path of new guys coming in can’t match up to biggest stars. So don’t book your Archers, Lee’s and Cages against the tops stars immediately and build them first, have someone coming in win big, or risk everyone coming in being seen as not a true threat 

This does show poor booking on AEW's part, but this is exactly why Cage should NOT beat Moxley.

It's pretty bad that they've hotshotted Cage into a title match, but if he wins, for the sake of "anything can happen!" then you're saying, in non kayfabe, that you didn't have options on your existing, established roster, and, in kayfabe, your stars can lose to anyone at any time. That also depends on the build, and, regardless of the covid situation, it and Cage haven't been good enough.

It's been Poundland Brock Party, without the humour, self awareness, or talent. I know he has his fans, but I've found Tazz's promos flat and stumbling, and Cage hasn't done anything to distinguish himself from any other indy star beyond his physique. One week he's disobeying Tazz and putting Mox through car windows; the next he's a geek in a polo. If there was ever a guy that needed vignettes (ludicrous workout videos would've been perfect, not just weightlifting, but ripping tractor tyres in half, sprinting carrying barbells, that kind of thing), it's Cage.

I think Cage will mean Mox has another style of match to continue his run against big bastards, and it'll be a good match. Hager gave him an MMA match mixed with arena brawling, Lee the typical WWE heavyweight bout, and Cage will give him a more modern challenge. I can't see Mox bumping some of Cage's spots though. It's guilty fun watching jobbers get crumpled, but this is your AEW champion we're talking about - you don't put him at risk.

I'd like this run versus monsters to start taking its toll on Mox physically, where he retains but more and more barely. Then he should lose to a vulture heel goading an injured Mox into a bout too soon after one such beating. That can go to an existing safe hand like Jericho, or even a solid act like MJF. But only when crowds are back - if Mox loses now, even if he regains in a few weeks, it's still a break in his run, and turns the big belt into a hot potato for no good reason.

It'll be interesting to see if they work Mox's covid into the angle of the match at all. It'd be a risk - as much as it could come across as "Mox is double tough and won't let covid stop him" even if he's recovered and has passed tests, it could easily end up as "AEW let their wrestlers wrestle with covid". And we all know what happened the last time someone thought it was a good idea for Mox to work with PPE.

If the match goes on last, I see Moxley retaining by inches. If it's midcard, then I see a schmozz, with a DQ or double count, leading to a version of the "FTW is the REAL heavyweight title" angle mentioned previously, to get another month out of it.

Edited by CavemanLynn