MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

35 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Really? Jericho gets high praise every time hes at the commentary booth and every week there are comments about how awful Mauro Ranallo is on NXT. JR and Excalibur get their critisism, however Big Tone gets the praise. Very poor choice of example by using the commentary teams. 

Yep I was about to say the same thing. People are always slagging off the WWE commentators, especially Mauro on NXT and Michael Cole's soundbytes.

29 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Really? Jericho gets high praise every time hes at the commentary booth and every week there are comments about how awful Mauro Ranallo is on NXT. JR and Excalibur get their critisism, however Big Tone gets the praise. Very poor choice of example by using the commentary teams. 

Ranallo, McGuinness and Cole used to get chewed out on here on a weekly basis, whereas I don't see them mentioned much at all now. It just seems to be a given that they're shit (although I like McGuinness but that's beside the point). Whereas almost every week it seems there's a discussion on the merits of Excalibur and JR.

My personal favourite was people shitting on Excalibur for wearing a pro-wrestling mask whilst calling a pro-wrestling show. Never seen Lawler get much criticism for sitting there in his nonces crown and a fucking singlet.

Jericho and Big Tone do get universal praise and rightly so!

33 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Ranallo, McGuinness and Cole used to get chewed out on here on a weekly basis, whereas I don't see them mentioned much at all now. It just seems to be a given that they're shit (although I like McGuinness but that's beside the point). Whereas almost every week it seems there's a discussion on the merits of Excalibur and JR.

You're lucky if you get much discussion on a weekly basis on here about NXT at all, let alone the commentary.

34 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Ranallo, McGuinness and Cole used to get chewed out on here on a weekly basis, whereas I don't see them mentioned much at all now. It just seems to be a given that they're shit (although I like McGuinness but that's beside the point).

Yep people have either accepted how absolutely dreadful they are or most likely have just stopped watching. I tried watching a YouTube clip of NXT earlier and as soon as I heard Ranallos voice I immediately turned it off. It was a genuinely immediate physical reaction of disgust.

With AEW commentary I find it either enjoyable or average/mediocre enough to completely ignore. Even if they are talking complete bollocks the sound of the voices of Excalibur, JR and Tony are pleasant enough that it doesn't turn me off.

Edited by LaGoosh

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

My god, we're some miserable old fuckers on this board. They're doing a short, harmless, silly segment involving puppies, and we're all like 'ugh, I was worried it'd be something like that'.

In fairness we have no idea it is going to be either short or harmless.

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

2 hours ago, Nick James said:

I'm not a mega fan of Best Friends, but having Trents mum drive them to the ring was brilliant. Chuck T is still awful, though. Trent deserves better. 

Shida vs Ford was a good match and Ford performed better than i expected. Everytime i see her i just think how the hell was she with Janela? 

Hagar looked a mess in the cycling shorts and looked an even bigger pillock for lamping the ref instead of going after Dustin. 

Trent's mum drive them to the ring was hilarious. The insistence on the kiss was great too.  I also love that Chuck Taylor's mum has taken offence that she wasn't asked. 

Other than that, the show was good, but I doubt there's anything I'll remember in six months' time. Penelope Ford has really stepped up, and fair play to her - she's a half-step behind others at her level, but she's determined and taking every advantage of the opportunity.

One person it feels like the lack of crowds is harming is Hangman Adam Page. He was really building a rapport with the crowd, and he's feeling like less of a big deal. It doesn't help that they reset his story.

However, at the end of the show, Kenny pouring the beer away, and Page stood with FTR - that was a really cool moment.

I enjoyed that episode. Good matches, good commentary, just about all good actually. 

ITV didn’t mention this puppy battle royal but I’m fully in favour of it being the main event, next week and every week. What kind of JR puppy hating monsters are you lot criticising puppies having a battle royal. One had better be asleep in the corner like he was Orange Cassidy.

On 7/3/2020 at 1:13 PM, Lorne Malvo said:

Ranallo, McGuinness and Cole used to get chewed out on here on a weekly basis, whereas I don't see them mentioned much at all now. It just seems to be a given that they're shit (although I like McGuinness but that's beside the point). 

Complaining about Mauro Ranallo is like flogging a dead horse. It's a dead horse with extra sauce. People are saying of it "A dead horse? Of course! Use your noggin' for some extra flogging." This one guy complained about it and is now known as the demonstratively devastatingly deleterious Duke of dead horse flogging.

Decent episode but nothing spectacular. Somebody mentioned about AEW being in something of a holding pattern, which I do agree with, but they are putting a consistently enjoyable show.

The only gripe with the show, other Taz’s “sloppy shop” comment and Brian Cage doing the gormless “oh! That’s a shoot”,  was that everyone in Private Party v Proud & Powerful was wearing red

It's still a decent show, but it is getting less fun to watch. There just isn't the variety and imagination there any more, just a string of solid matches and ringside segments. No Shawn Spears News, Roll Model update, Bubbly Bunch, Jake dark room promo, or One Night with Kiss and Janela. Two segments where one side just came and sat by commentary, and despite one of them's earlier gimmicks being that he just turned up in random places looking cool.

As much as I love Wardlow yanking his straps and Luchasaurus' slo mo work is still just the right side of charming, I fucking hate that Wardlow is busting out ranas, kipups and moonsaults.

Coming back has nearly undone all the good work Page did in the woods. If he weren't so gosh darn handsome, this would've utterly wrecked him. It made sense for him to ride in against the Inner Circle at the Stadium Stampede, but now he's stuck dicking around with Chuck Taylor and Private Party. Now is not the time to try to give lower level teams the rub. In fact him refusing to needlessly come back could've been a decent new twist in the Page vs Elite angle.

Positives are the women's match was really good, and I think Trent could really step up as a singles guy in 6 months time. I don't think his deadpan shtick would work without a gag man like Chuck, but he's great fun in the ring (huge fan of spaghetti leg selling), not too WWE, and has had solid outings against Omega and others on his own.

Edited by CavemanLynn

Just watching Fyter Fest on ITV4 from Friday night, there’s a large section of the Private Party match with no commentary, censored over here for some reason? Or did JR and the lads wander off for a pie and a Bovril.

25 minutes ago, Project Nim said:

Just watching Fyter Fest on ITV4 from Friday night, there’s a large section of the Private Party match with no commentary, censored over here for some reason? Or did JR and the lads wander off for a pie and a Bovril.

I think that was during an ad break. Seems like different feeds or broadcasters get different breaks. There was one where everyone went silent, then after a minute Excalibur starting commentating by himself. Watching via shenanigans as I do, I think the feed I watch is pretty much uncut, so I'm used to JR announcing picture in picture, and sometimes it's ads for Arbys, others just uncommentated for a bit.

It's another minor gripe (these are mounting up) about them going live. Watching the uncut feed makes it all seem less organised; if you know some broadcasters are still getting footage, why not just keep going, or bookend it with a quick acknowledgment of those particular viewers still watching?

I know the US ratings system is super flawed, and in reality the AEW vs. NXT, “war,” is nothing more than two tramps fighting over crumbs in a bin, but I still thought this graphic someone knocked up on Twitter was quite interesting. The normal line is overall viewers and the dotted line is Meltzer’s favourite demo.

0A4A4214-7D92-4555-9C9D-0FEA2D214636.thumb.jpeg.b16f5a3ccdb482f635d9206d81cccf5d.jpeg

My biggest takeaway? Kenny Omega, man. Maybe losing loads and going the distance with jobbers isn’t the best way to make a star after all. Who could ever have predicted that?!

Doesn't Kenny book the women’s division? Crazy if so because the best anyone has looked in AEW these last few weeks was Shida when she smashed a jobber in record time. You should try that yourself sometimes, Kenneth.

Edited by Supremo