The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Nick James said:

I'm not a mega fan of Best Friends, but having Trents mum drive them to the ring was brilliant. Chuck T is still awful, though. Trent deserves better. 

Shida vs Ford was a good match and Ford performed better than i expected. Everytime i see her i just think how the hell was she with Janela? 

Hagar looked a mess in the cycling shorts and looked an even bigger pillock for lamping the ref instead of going after Dustin. 

Trent's mum drive them to the ring was hilarious. The insistence on the kiss was great too.  I also love that Chuck Taylor's mum has taken offence that she wasn't asked. 

Other than that, the show was good, but I doubt there's anything I'll remember in six months' time. Penelope Ford has really stepped up, and fair play to her - she's a half-step behind others at her level, but she's determined and taking every advantage of the opportunity.

One person it feels like the lack of crowds is harming is Hangman Adam Page. He was really building a rapport with the crowd, and he's feeling like less of a big deal. It doesn't help that they reset his story.

However, at the end of the show, Kenny pouring the beer away, and Page stood with FTR - that was a really cool moment.

• Awards Moderator

I enjoyed that episode. Good matches, good commentary, just about all good actually. 

ITV didn’t mention this puppy battle royal but I’m fully in favour of it being the main event, next week and every week. What kind of JR puppy hating monsters are you lot criticising puppies having a battle royal. One had better be asleep in the corner like he was Orange Cassidy.

• Paid Members
On 7/3/2020 at 1:13 PM, Lorne Malvo said:

Ranallo, McGuinness and Cole used to get chewed out on here on a weekly basis, whereas I don't see them mentioned much at all now. It just seems to be a given that they're shit (although I like McGuinness but that's beside the point). 

Complaining about Mauro Ranallo is like flogging a dead horse. It's a dead horse with extra sauce. People are saying of it "A dead horse? Of course! Use your noggin' for some extra flogging." This one guy complained about it and is now known as the demonstratively devastatingly deleterious Duke of dead horse flogging.

Decent episode but nothing spectacular. Somebody mentioned about AEW being in something of a holding pattern, which I do agree with, but they are putting a consistently enjoyable show.

The only gripe with the show, other Taz’s “sloppy shop” comment and Brian Cage doing the gormless “oh! That’s a shoot”,  was that everyone in Private Party v Proud & Powerful was wearing red

It's still a decent show, but it is getting less fun to watch. There just isn't the variety and imagination there any more, just a string of solid matches and ringside segments. No Shawn Spears News, Roll Model update, Bubbly Bunch, Jake dark room promo, or One Night with Kiss and Janela. Two segments where one side just came and sat by commentary, and despite one of them's earlier gimmicks being that he just turned up in random places looking cool.

As much as I love Wardlow yanking his straps and Luchasaurus' slo mo work is still just the right side of charming, I fucking hate that Wardlow is busting out ranas, kipups and moonsaults.

Coming back has nearly undone all the good work Page did in the woods. If he weren't so gosh darn handsome, this would've utterly wrecked him. It made sense for him to ride in against the Inner Circle at the Stadium Stampede, but now he's stuck dicking around with Chuck Taylor and Private Party. Now is not the time to try to give lower level teams the rub. In fact him refusing to needlessly come back could've been a decent new twist in the Page vs Elite angle.

Positives are the women's match was really good, and I think Trent could really step up as a singles guy in 6 months time. I don't think his deadpan shtick would work without a gag man like Chuck, but he's great fun in the ring (huge fan of spaghetti leg selling), not too WWE, and has had solid outings against Omega and others on his own.

Edited by CavemanLynn

25 minutes ago, Project Nim said:

Just watching Fyter Fest on ITV4 from Friday night, there’s a large section of the Private Party match with no commentary, censored over here for some reason? Or did JR and the lads wander off for a pie and a Bovril.

I think that was during an ad break. Seems like different feeds or broadcasters get different breaks. There was one where everyone went silent, then after a minute Excalibur starting commentating by himself. Watching via shenanigans as I do, I think the feed I watch is pretty much uncut, so I'm used to JR announcing picture in picture, and sometimes it's ads for Arbys, others just uncommentated for a bit.

It's another minor gripe (these are mounting up) about them going live. Watching the uncut feed makes it all seem less organised; if you know some broadcasters are still getting footage, why not just keep going, or bookend it with a quick acknowledgment of those particular viewers still watching?

• Paid Members

I know the US ratings system is super flawed, and in reality the AEW vs. NXT, “war,” is nothing more than two tramps fighting over crumbs in a bin, but I still thought this graphic someone knocked up on Twitter was quite interesting. The normal line is overall viewers and the dotted line is Meltzer’s favourite demo.

0A4A4214-7D92-4555-9C9D-0FEA2D214636.thumb.jpeg.b16f5a3ccdb482f635d9206d81cccf5d.jpeg

My biggest takeaway? Kenny Omega, man. Maybe losing loads and going the distance with jobbers isn’t the best way to make a star after all. Who could ever have predicted that?!

Doesn't Kenny book the women’s division? Crazy if so because the best anyone has looked in AEW these last few weeks was Shida when she smashed a jobber in record time. You should try that yourself sometimes, Kenneth.

Edited by Supremo

• Moderators

As this dog battle Royal happened yet? I'm finally interested in AEW to see it, I watch the Puppy Bowl every year. Hopefully they do the same as the Puppy Bowl and use it as a vehicle to get people to adopt a dog by using rescue pups. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Supremo said:

I know the US ratings system is super flawed, and in reality the AEW vs. NXT, “war,” is nothing more than two tramps fighting over crumbs in a bin, but I still thought this graphic someone knocked up on Twitter was quite interesting. The normal line is overall viewers and the dotted line is Meltzer’s favourite demo.

0A4A4214-7D92-4555-9C9D-0FEA2D214636.thumb.jpeg.b16f5a3ccdb482f635d9206d81cccf5d.jpeg

My biggest takeaway? Kenny Omega, man. Maybe losing loads and going the distance with jobbers isn’t the best way to make a star after all. Who could ever have predicted that?!

Doesn't Kenny book the women’s division? Crazy if so because the best anyone has looked in AEW these last few weeks was Shida when she smashed a jobber in record time. You should try that yourself sometimes, Kenneth.

I think it's also showing just what a draw Shasha Banks in NXT was - and I get why. Some of my favourite NXT memories involved Sasha, so if I were watching, i'd probably tune in for that.

Also, as much as I like Best Friends nobody was taking them seriously as challengers. While the Stadium Stampede was fantastic, the storyline with Page/Omega and the Bucks totally cooling off was a shame. It also shows what damage the lack of crowds is doing to Page - he was looking like a megastar at one point.

On the plus side, the post-show stuff was good building material, and everyone came out of it looking good. This week's match probably won't be a big ratings draw, but it'll probably get everyone back into angle-building mode.

• Paid Members

There's something about Kenny Omega that doesnt sit right. Like  when everyone wanted John Terry as England captain, even though everyone knew he was a cunt. There's just something unlikable and uninspired about his character. He thinks he's funny as well, and I've seen more amusing arson attacks.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Kenny's hammy antics are the kind of thing that seems to go over well in Japan but seems to fall flat for many people elsewhere. Personally I found found a lot his routine pure cringe in New Japan, especially his cleaner stuff.

Always assumed it's basically the Japanese version of the goofy foreigner gimmick.

I have enjoyed some of his stuff with Page but I'm giving the Hangman all the credit for that.

• Paid Members

The thing I always come back to with Kenny Omega is what a huge deal he felt like that first night, when he went face to face with Jericho at the press conference.

1B961514-4579-4F11-AC2E-B6469ACF0553.jpeg.213ad802209dfdc733ed376af1e54542.jpeg

This felt big time. Arguably the top two free agents in the business. Two huge stars setting up a massive, marquee match.

Fast forward eighteen months though? Jericho‘s gone from strength to strength, as big of a star if not bigger, whereas Omega’s stock has nosedived.

He’s Nakamura in WWE. Superstar on the first night, but slowly turns into a complete nothing the longer time passes.

At least with Nakamura though you can blame it on WWE’s inability to make stars and Nakamura so obviously checking out and doing the bare minimum. You almost have to respect someone coming in on a big contract and then doing sweet fuck all, preferring to just cash the cheques and surf. What a worker.

But what can be said for Kenny? He’s still smashing his body up for little to no gain and it’s his fault because he’s the one booking. Admittedly, teaming with Adam Page was an improvement, but since the pandemic began he’s gone right back into his worst habits of just wrestling some wrestling matches and thinking that’s going to work. It’s 2020. Being a good wrestler has never meant less. Everyone’s a good wrestler. Book yourself to look a star, you fucking melt.

Couldn't agree more. My god his stock has fallen. The more I see of him the more I'm convinced he's not "the guy".

So hammy, dweeby even. Certainly not booked like a star. I keep going back to Austin, Rock, Cena, Punk etc and think they'd never carry themselves like that.  Get your act together.