The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I disagree. I think when he is on form he is one of the better heels. He doesn't mug to the fans in a cool heel way. He feels quite old school to me (haven't seen him in 18 months so this may have changed). He reminds me of old school HHH in some ways. 

He has a beard now. Otherwise, he is exactly, boringly the same. 

Sorry, 'methodically'.

3 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

The problem with Omega for me - and I will preface this by saying I've also only been familiar with him from AEW onward - is that there's nothing genuinely dangerous about his character or personal about his feuds. Every big star down through the years has had that about them at one point or another, and we feel it in good angles long after the Santa isn't real moment has happened us. Hogan, Austin, Cena, Hart, Michaels...they've all had that weird x factor intensity to them that's made their best shit seem marvellously well worked but also proper he-means-it.

Even some of the indie big hitters from this generation that initially struggled with that have gotten there now. Rollins shithousing on Twitter, that smirk Reigns properly means when he's shrugging off 10,000 boos, Owens on the mic and Joe in the ring. They all generally excel at being blokes I probably wouldn't hassle at the airport. 

I just don't get that at all from Omega. He seems like he's trying to be the best character in a wrestling video game there'll ever be. Nobody will work harder to max out their stats, but everything feels like this weird, nerdy imitation of reality and proper stars. He's just a goof. I think even in modern day WWE his character would probably have stuck at that Ricochet level. 

This is a fantastic point that highlights one of my biggest criticisms of aew. If you only watch the product there has been absolutely nothing to paint omega as the saviour of wrestling, the best bout machine etc......... But if you watch bte he's literally a little bitch who's afraid of a production guy. Pick a Canon and stick to it........

• Paid Members

I remember Austin getting pissy on his podcast about Ziggler once saying he seems to take more pride in being giving and light with his offense than looking believable and laying his shit in. I think Omega suffers from these same traits. 

• Paid Members

Wrestlers who brag about having the best matches instead of bragging about winning their matches are always doomed to midcard purgatory. Ziggler is the prime example. Omega is at risk of joining him.

• Paid Members

There’s an alternative dimension where the pandemic never happened and Omega and the Bucks turned on Adam Page, setting him up as a huge babyface and finally slotting themselves as the smug pricks they need to be to get their careers back on track.

• Paid Members
On 7/6/2020 at 12:02 PM, Chris B said:

I think it's also showing just what a draw Shasha Banks in NXT was - and I get why. Some of my favourite NXT memories involved Sasha, so if I were watching, i'd probably tune in for that.

It's certainly intriguing that Banks and Bayley seem to be moving the needle with presence on NXT in a way that Charlotte didn't seem to.

12 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

The problem is I don't think the audience, when they're back, can turn them heel, which is evidently what they're truer to in real life. A heel Omega could lean into his eccentricity and melodramatic side.

I reckon an Omega heel turn could work if he turned on Page in front of an actual crowd. They fucking love Page.

In the current climate though it would die on it's arse imo.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Statto said:

It's certainly intriguing that Banks and Bayley seem to be moving the needle with presence on NXT in a way that Charlotte didn't seem to.

As Charlotte's character has her dad's ego but none of his exuberance, it's really not. LIke she know's she's one of the best in the world, but not enjoying it as much.

1 minute ago, seph said:

As Charlotte's character has her dad's ego but none of his exuberance, it's really not. LIke she know's she's one of the best in the world, but not enjoying it as much.

Charlotte's a difficult one. I agree that she's fairly stale as a 'character' on screen, although I still think she's capable of delivering top quality matches in a way that very few are.

Sasha and Bayley have more well-rounded characters, and are far better at social media and being fangirls, so they have their own followings. Far more than Charlotte.

Personally I warmed to her a lot more through the doc on the Network but she's definitely a different person to the others.

• Paid Members
Just now, DavidB6937 said:

Charlotte's a difficult one. I agree that she's fairly stale as a 'character' on screen, although I still think she's capable of delivering top quality matches

And that's what's baffling. She is really, really good.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Luther has gotta be one of the first guys this company actually fires, right? Watched last nights Dark and there's not a single redeeming feature to having him on your show.

Considering the way Jericho appeared to be the only person on the planet pushing for him to be the leader of the Dark Order, I think he's there as a sweetener to Jericho. Think of him as the Nasty Boys.

7 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Considering the way Jericho appeared to be the only person on the planet pushing for him to be the leader of the Dark Order, I think he's there as a sweetener to Jericho. Think of him as the Nasty Boys.

They've got more than enough people on the roster that they can just cycle through everyone and almost forget he exists for a few weeks at a time. I doubt they're paying much for him.