The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, KingofSports said:

In my living room. Sorry. ITV4 or ITV4+1 on SKY. No problems with my signal quality & it's the only show that not just does it, but does it repeatedly.

-Edit- Unless of course, it's an ITV issue, what with their hub and everything. I don't know how shit works these days.

I have never had an issue on ITV4 via You View. Baring in mind we get the already aired program it sounds like ITV4 on Sky is the issue

36 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

The problem with that story is that most people won't get it. A story is pointless if you have to explain to an audience that it's happening.

Or you get told to look it for yourself or “well you should watch Being The Elite then”, like what happened a few times when they first launched.

Having said that they’ve been better at telling those kinds of stories for a while now. 

• Paid Members

I watch AEW every week and enjoy it. I like what’s good and don’t like what’s bad. I don’t really tend to wonder why they do what they do or what they could do better. This doesn’t make me special, or better than anyone else, but it does make me happier.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Linus said:

I watch AEW every week and enjoy it. I like what’s good and don’t like what’s bad. I don’t really tend to wonder why they do what they do or what they could do better. This doesn’t make me special, or better than anyone else, but it does make me happier.

...doesn't really make for interesting discussion on a discussion board though.

• Paid Members

Thought the Moxley Vs Cage match was the best part of the show this week. I actually liked the finish too, considering the spot they had found themselves in. Whether they should be in that spot or not, is a different story.

If it's wrestling or any other story under the sun that you're trying to tell, start out at the end and then figure out how to get there. Cage probably shouldn't be losing just yet, but he also sure as hell shouldn't have been beating Moxley for the title. 

I don't like the addition of this FTW belt. Even if it does play into things with Taz. Five belts on a two hour show, with the likelihood of six man tag titles down the line? Too much. 

Cody would benefit from some heel challengers too, rather than a hug fest after every match each week. I've liked his title defences, but he's the best baby they've got at a main event level, and I think he'd be better served not playing subtle heel every single week. Before long people may start treating him as one, and he really shouldn't be. At least not for a long time yet. 

It comes back to the "what is this promotion" thing, WeeAl.  If this is a babyface territory, why are they not doing it in a classic Memphis style?  Bring in the heel hot, kick the babyfaces arse and then he eventually gets to give the heel what's coming to him.  They seem to rush everything.

• Paid Members

Caught up with this last night. Didn't love the finish of the title match, particularly a Moxley bizarrely switched the armbar to the arm he hadn't been working just before it happened (although maybe that'll be explained as Taz's logic - the 'good arm' was controlled in the armbar and the other arm was in no condition to allow Cage to power up & out from the face down position so he threw the towel in before both arms ended up injured).

Wonder if they might have got out of it a different way by having Moxley jawing with Taz (a noted hothead) a bit more throughout, then having Taz throw the towel at Moxley in anger when he gave him the finger, unintentionally signalling the submission.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Statto said:

Wonder if they might have got out of it a different way by having Moxley jawing with Taz (a noted hothead) a bit more throughout, then having Taz throw the towel at Moxley in anger when he gave him the finger, unintentionally signalling the submission.

😯 I can only imagine the reaction on here if that was the finish. 

I thought the finish made sense. Cage was out the first half of the year with a massive arm injury and Taz wants to protect his investment and make sure it doesn't happen again. Psychology wise the whole thing made sense, put Moxley over as a smart fighter and Cage can complain he didn't tap out.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
On 7/18/2020 at 5:41 PM, BrodyGraham said:

I have a theory that Omega is trying to tell a meta story through his career that's tied to his sense of self worth. Basically Kenny Omega deep down feels worth less without a partner. He couldn't win the big one in Japan until he had Kota back and on his own in AEW he was portraying himself as lost until the team with Page. Everything has been largely rosey for Kenny since then. They've had a good run with the titles and Kenny got the win in Stadium Stampede. The pull apart with FTR last week where Page sided with FTR and the swilling this week feel like the trigger points for Kenny losing it and going back to something like The Cleaner after his team with Page breaks down. Quite how a Western audience will take to dastardly anime villain Kenny is a different matter. 

I've been saying for a while that I think the Omega/Page story is the angle that Kenny had booked for him and Kota, amended to fit Hangman instead. 

On 7/18/2020 at 5:49 PM, Carbomb said:

I haven't seen as much of Cody in AEW as I'd have liked, so I can't comment on his general consistency, however.

Consistency has never really been his issue - Cody was known as "Mr. Three Stars", because he could reliably have a bang average, good-enough match every single time. You just knew exactly what you were getting from him. Where he surprised people and excelled was in stuff like his match with Nick Aldis, and with Dustin, where he told a compelling story, and front-loaded the match with as much Southern wrestling tropes as possible. What's becoming increasingly apparent is that Cody doesn't know how to book/wrestle any other way, and that what's special in one match soon loses its lustre when it's happening in all of them, and that a lot of "old school" spots happen in his matches for really no reason at all. 

52 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

😯 I can only imagine the reaction on here if that was the finish. 

I thought the finish made sense. Cage was out the first half of the year with a massive arm injury and Taz wants to protect his investment and make sure it doesn't happen again. Psychology wise the whole thing made sense, put Moxley over as a smart fighter and Cage can complain he didn't tap out.

Have AEW acknowledged the arm injury? I don't really like the idea that, for the finish to make sense, I'd have to be aware that Cage had been out with an injury before even signing with the company. It's not something I'd expect the audience to know off-hand - I certainly didn't. 

• Paid Members

Hmmm...I'm not sure. I think Mox mentioned it in his promo, pretty sure Excalibur mentioned it on commentary too. But yeah they definitely could have made a bigger effort to tell the audience going in.

The first I heard of it was Moxley's promo at the start of the show. The whole point of intrigue is that you use it BEFORE the show to get people to pay/watch. Waiting until the show itself to drop a twist like that in is terrible booking. I know it's not a PPV, but it was still the climax to the angle and, in business terms, too late to bring in any new viewers. The in-match angle itself made sense, with Mox wearing down both arms so Cage couldn't fight out, but like a lot of things in AEW at the moment, the whole thing wasn't quite right.

AEW continues to be on its steady slide in quality since binning off the prerecorded shows. The matches are pretty much always decent but the presentation and booking are simultaneously flaky (botched camerawork, missed cues, etc) and mundane (the massive reduction in vignettes, the unnecessary clusterfuck multi-man matches).