The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Much better show this week. Really enjoyed the daft falls count anywhere match and the Cody defence. First TNT title match that felt like it was worth a shite. Thing is, when Cena was doing the open challenge gimmick he was already enough of a star that going fifteen minutes with him was a boost for whoever he shared the ring with. Cody hasn't been established anywhere near that level so when he's going forever with the likes of Joey Janella and Sonny Kiss it does nothing but drag him down. Eddie Kingston was another matter though. Watching him cut his promo, all I could think about was how much better AEW would be if they had focused on signing a core group of top level, TV ready veterans - Kingston, Nick Aldis, maybe Eli Drake - instead of loading the roster with their green little indie mates. This was the first time Cody felt like he was any genuine peril and was all down to how Kingston carried himself.

Much better show this week.

That had to be Butcher and Blades best match in AEW. The mud show sign in the back of the truck got a smile out of me.

More Archer binning scrubs please.

Women's match was alright.

TNT title match was really enjoyable. Kingston would be a tremendous addition to the roster.

MJF's and Pages matches were alright.

Not too bothered by the roster size atm.

• Paid Members

They’ve got to start making some moves with the tag division though. The Page and Omega thing has been in a holding pattern for far too long. Accept fans aren’t coming back for months if not years and start moving again.

Look at the Bucks. As far as TV matches go the Young Bucks are on a fantastic little run. At least three weeks on the trot they’ve had brilliant, fun matches. They don’t feel like stars though because everyone and everything has been left simmering for the longest time, nothing allowed to truly boil over.

The craziest stat I saw shared last night - this was the 19th Covid episode of Dynamite. There had only been 23 pre-Covid episodes. Soon there will have been more Covid than non-Covid episodes. Mad.

• Paid Members

Exactly. They've made very clear that they want a tag team division that's capable of headlining in its own right.

Out of that list, the following can comfortably headline any show right now:

Page/Omega

Young Bucks

Lucha Bros

Le Sex Gods

The following can or have headlined with the right build up and against the right opponents:

Proud 'n' Powerful

SCU 

FTR

MJF and Wardlow

Jurassic Express

Best Friends

Dark Order (Uno and Grayson)

Dark Order (Brodie and Cobana)

Cage and Starks

Not sure if Strong Hearts are still around and Gunn Club doesn't seem to be a serious project. All the rest are midcard or lower. I'd comfortably sack off Hybrid 2, but other than that, it's pretty inoffensive.

Load and loads of teams and not one of them feels like a big deal. Dark Order aside, only the champions have had any promo time or character development - and they're two singles guys!  Where was the promos and the hype piece for The Bucks vs Butcher and Blade falls count anywhere match for example? Just another match thrown out into the blue. They're a young company and I don't want to shit on them too much, but their booking isn't very good. LAX and Lucha Bros felt like bigger stars before they got there.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

4 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Load and loads of teams and not one of them feels like a big deal. Dark Order aside, only the champions have had any promo time or character development - and they're two singles guys!  Where was the promos and the hype piece for The Bucks vs Butcher and Blade falls count anywhere match for example? Just another match thrown out into the blue. They're a young company and I don't want to shit on them too much, but their booking isn't very good. LAX and Lucha Bros felt like bigger stars before they got there.

Lucha Bros certainly haven't had a consistent run in AEW so I get that. But LAX have been in the main event scene for ages now. Maybe not as tag champs or anything but I don't think anyone can argue against their position in the company.

• Paid Members

A booking angle idea occurs (cue eye rolls):

AEW announce a tournament for the tag-team division. Both Dark Order teams participate. They end up facing each other, with Brodie Lee & Colt Cabana telling the underlings to lie down for them. They eventually do, but they're hesitant, and they're clearly very unhappy afterwards. Then there's a slow-burn storyline where they end up turning against the boss.

• Paid Members
* That falls count anywhere match had so much GREAT stuff in it, from the Butcher & Blade doing some butchering with blades (and making sure to wash their hands before fighting), Matt Jackson slapping dudes’ faces with meat, Pepper Parks having a terribly hurty night (okay, maybe not that one), an elevator ride, OUTDOOR MUD SHOW, Nick Jackson being thrown into Nick Jackson, and Andy Williams being the HOSS we all need. Gold, baby.

* The whole Eddie Kingston thing was encapsulated by him staring down the camera while forearming Cody, and threatening to tear Arn’s eye out (take THAT, Rollins!) and while I don’t have the MAD LOVE for the king (he’s A king, not THE king) that some have it was a thrill to see him do his stuff, even with a bum knee. Now do WARHORSE.

* I was trying think of a solid third favourite thing, and it’s a toss up between Lance Archer putting a man through the ceiling and then in the bin, Adam “gonna see how this white wrist tape works out” Page making everything look effortless, the FTR-Elite shit being slow burn awesome, or Brodie Lee. With one minor exception, NOTHING was bad on this show.

* Those AEW action figures look ace but I’m FORTY EIGHT YEARS OLD - I can’t buy toys, can I?!?

* What was the point of Ivelisse? Even if you ignore the gross stuff she’s said about mental illness in the last few years, and her connection to Chasyn Rance, she’s nowhere near the Ivelisse that rocked Lucha Underground, and can’t really live off a four-year old vibe. This is a problem at the moment that they could have fixed using Dark - give some of the jobbers wins over other jobbers so they can job on Dynamite without looking like jobbers.

* Ricky Starks nearly murdered Darby Allin with his sneak attack, and it looked awesome but nearly murder is bad.
Edited by Linus

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Jesus christ...

EdlyZBJX0AIRX-S.png

Half these don't even regularly appear on Dynamite or are singles wrestlers/temporary teams or in a stable. Also, what's wrong with a strong tag division?

Except for the womens match, I really enjoyed this show. Everything was tons of fun.

First time I've seen Kingston in about 10 years. He's great. Hire that man.

Butcher must have a singles run in him at some point. He really shined in the hardcore match, love a big hoss.

Speaking of hosses, Archer putting dudes through ceilings and in bins? 5 stars. My fantasy booking is Archer taking the title of Mox then a slow build to handsome bastard Adam Page beating him for the big title win.

Great old fashioned squash from MJF with seeds of the eventual breakup with Wardlow sown in.

The Dark Order stuff was exactly the booking I loved. Multiple stories naturally and logically intertwining, loads of potential matches and twists. Lovely stuff. Page looks like an absolute star.

Starks trying to kill Allin, oof.

Decent TV main event, good to have Sammy back. Hoping his feud with Matt picks back up and he makes a visit to the Hardy Compound. 

My only complaint would be that Moxley still isn't the main focus, and as Champion he should be. 

Looking forward to next week's 10 man and tornado tag for sure.

Edited by LaGoosh

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Decent TV main event, good to have Sammy back. Hoping his feud with Matt picks back up and he makes a visit to the Hardy Compound. 

I agree with almost everything you said, but not this. Mary’s been hinting on social media that he may be ditching the Broken gimmick, and I really hope he does. He’s been a real lowlight since joining AEW.

What do you all think about Sammy returning so soon? I have to admit, I was surprised to see him.

I’m surprised MJF’s squash hasn’t received more love than it’s getting. I thought he was phenomenal in that segment/match.

Anyone know if Anna Jay is injured? The complete lack of follow up to her Dark Order segment is really quite odd.

Under normal circumstances I would say that the Sammy return was really well done but the reason for his suspension made it impossible for me to really get behind it.

Even Jericho looking like world's happiest dad couldn't quite save it.

My fantasy wank booking would be for Pac to dethrone Cody as a mystery opponent when he's able to return but fucks know when of if that will even be possible.

• Paid Members

I want to see it more for Sammy in the Hardy Compound and what ridiculous shit he'd do, not Matt really.

I'm glad Sammy is back. A month without pay or TV time is a good enough punishment for an idiotic comment from a few years ago and he appears genuine in his apology. Time to move on from it.

Edited by LaGoosh