The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

If they go ahead with an AEW Horsemen, I would love to see Eddie Kingston eventually have a run as a babyface with nothing left to lose, just mad enough to try and fight them all off singlehandedly. Kingston cutting promos on Arn and Tully every week would be superb.

A far better show than last week. I echo the thoughts on Kingston, his promo was fantastic and ordinarily I would say ‘sign him up’ but the roster is embarrassingly bloated right now, to the point we’re seeing wrestlers appear one week before immediately disappearing. 

That said, I do hope they sign Rusev. 

If Eddie Kingston invested as much time into his gear as he does plucking his eyebrows he’d be a great addition to the roster.,Was glad to see him on the show, I think a lot of people were expecting one of the recent Free Agents to debut, so it was a good surprise for it to be someone else. Making it No DQ on a show where you already have a Falls Count Anywhere Match was a bit naff though.

What are Dark Order supposed to be? You’ve got Ten in his Ceremonial Robe, Grayson in a Bomber Jacket, Uno In Jeans and a Blazer adjusting his tie every few seconds, the other two lads, they’ve now added “Nah, it’s Alan Angels” to the group and it’s all topped off with Broadie Lee in a red suit that Johnathan Ross wouldn’t even wear.

I assume this Woman’s Tag Team Tournament is a tool to heat up the Brandi/Allie feud?

”and I’ve just been told by Tony Khan...” oh fuck off

Overall though, a big improvement on Fight for the Fallen

Kingston is a fantastic promo. They should definitely try and fit him in somewhere, even as a mouthpiece to a stable of sorts to get some other guys over. It is difficult where you've got so many guys on the roster though.I'd find him a far more interesting addition than a lot of who they already have.

• Paid Members

Kingston feels real in a way that not many people on their roster do. I don't care how bloated the rest of the card might be, if you can't find a spot for Eddie Kingston, you have no business running a wrestling company.

Ideally post Covid and indies running they have their own cull, or a lotta guys will be coming up for deals ending. I remember chat around a second show on TNT, hopefully that helps give more time to who should be the bigger hitters if that starts sometime soon

• Paid Members

I can’t believe this Kingston lad is a free agent whilst guys like Curt Hawkins and Eric Young are being snapped up the moment it’s legally possible to sign them.

What an example of two sides of the same coin though. Days after WWE have someone’s eye come out of their socket, and it’s the dumbest, shittest thing ever, Eddie Kingston tells an old man he’s going to gouge his eyes out and you immediately believe he would do it and has likely done it to others numerous times before.

Agree wholeheartedly with what’s already been said. He feels like he’s got all the potential in the world to be a nutter babyface who doesn’t give a fuck about anything.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I assume this Woman’s Tag Team Tournament is a tool to heat up the Brandi/Allie feud?

It sounds like it, but I don't think the Brandi/Allie thing is as much the 'Get Brandi over because she's important' thing that it's coming across as at times. I think it's more about trying to add  to a women's division that's lost a bunch of top names in a short amount of time. Britt is injured, Statlander is injured and Riho and Yuka Sakazaki are both MIA (presumably quarantined off somewhere). Hira and Nyla are both great, Penelope Ford has stepped it up impressively, and Swole has a lot of potential, but they still need some names in the mix. Brandi and Allie do have some star quality around them, even if it ain't subtle, and it's a bit 'all hands on deck' right now.

Looking forward to watching this later I'd had the Kingston thing spoiled on twitter, and while he hasn't ever appealed to me, I'm hoping to see whatever it is I've been missing from him. 

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Farrington said:

Its why the business needs NWA to survive in its current incarnation. That said I think Kingston was under utilised across their shows. He would be a perfect foil for a face champion there.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Kingston feels real in a way that not many people on their roster do. I don't care how bloated the rest of the card might be, if you can't find a spot for Eddie Kingston, you have no business running a wrestling company.

Watching Kingston for the first time on NWA Powerrr, to me he was both impressive and not. He was the sole character on that programme that felt like he just didn't fit the aesthetic/tone that they were going for, it was quite jarring. Going for gritty and hard-boiled on a show that was aiming without ambiguity for the classic, retro, family style of the NWA of the 70s/80s stuck out like a sore thumb, and whilst in most cases that would be a good thing to set him apart from the rest, it didn't quite work.

It's clear to me that he is a superb promo, but only in a certain style. Working for promotions like AEW or MLW, without a doubt he'll shine on their programming, but his time in the NWA rather highlighted that he was either unable or unwilling to adapt. Or perhaps it was a judgment call on his part - maybe he thought doing things the same would make him stand out on the roster, who knows? 

• Paid Members

What's JR on about? They should take it as a compliment if the WWF doesn't acknowledge them.

They only started mentioning TNA after its heyday when the company was on its arse to such a degree that the idea of them even being a viable alternative was laughable. I'd be more worried if WWE TV was acknowledging them tbh.

• Paid Members

JR (and particularly Taz) is on about the way WWE presents itself as if it IS wrestling. NJPW, AEW, etc, don't exist in the WWE world. Which has always been their approach, to the point where it's now assumed it's the only approach there is.

AEW is taking a different approach, being clear about what exists elsewhere - they've stopped acknowledging that Omega is the AAA champion, but that seems to be more about the relationship between AEW and AAA, or just not being confusing with belts. Otherwise, people come in with their existing gimmicks, and their prior history is potentially open. Sure, that can be grating at times (It's Luther!), but it's a good thing too.

Effectively, WWE's approach is that they're the only wrestling organisation. AEW's is that they're the best.

This isn't like TNA, desperately lagging behind in the ratings and clearly just trying to get attention, or making a big deal about going head-to-head with WWE only to fail. WWE have been the ones going head-to-head with AEW, and being as competitive as possible, bringing NXT to two hours and scheduling major events directly opposite AEW major events. Fans are clearly interested in which is doing better, as it's a massive talking point. Trying to build brand loyalty, and being open about us vs them, isn't a bad thing. 

2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

JR (and particularly Taz) is on about the way WWE presents itself as if it IS wrestling. NJPW, AEW, etc, don't exist in the WWE world. Which has always been their approach, to the point where it's now assumed it's the only approach there is.

AEW is taking a different approach, being clear about what exists elsewhere - they've stopped acknowledging that Omega is the AAA champion, but that seems to be more about the relationship between AEW and AAA, or just not being confusing with belts. Otherwise, people come in with their existing gimmicks, and their prior history is potentially open. Sure, that can be grating at times (It's Luther!), but it's a good thing too.

Effectively, WWE's approach is that they're the only wrestling organisation. AEW's is that they're the best.

This isn't like TNA, desperately lagging behind in the ratings and clearly just trying to get attention, or making a big deal about going head-to-head with WWE only to fail. WWE have been the ones going head-to-head with AEW, and being as competitive as possible, bringing NXT to two hours and scheduling major events directly opposite AEW major events. Fans are clearly interested in which is doing better, as it's a massive talking point. Trying to build brand loyalty, and being open about us vs them, isn't a bad thing. 

It's an unnecessary waste of time.

The reason AEW mention other companies is because their hardcore fanbase are the ones interested in watching NJPW, AAA etc. You really think Little Johnny at home watching Raw gives a flying fuck about Jeff Cobb? Not in the slightest.

NXT is more open sometimes, although even then I don't think it's particularly necessary.

What do WWE really have to gain from mentioning TNA, ROH, AEW or whatever else? Absolutely nothing. The little shots at WWE that AEW take from time to time are 'funny' to some people but I honestly couldn't care less.

If you're in WWE, you're assumed to be with the big leagues. You don't need to prove yourself to an audience by saying you wrestled all over the world or whatever else. They don't care. But if you're down in ROH and you say you worked for WWE then I get it. I suppose the same logic applies to AEW - they're new and they want to get guys over by showing their audience that they've been successful elsewhere. But WWE simply don't need to do it.

There are ways of doing it without seeming like marks for themselves.