The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I get the idea with Brandi that she so desperately wants to be the main 'authority figure' but they obviously don't use or need one (other than the odd nod to Tony Khan), that she is trying her hardest to make something happen where she is shown as a leader. First the Nightmare Collective, then the Nightmare Family and now this tag team with Allie. 

Even as Cody's valet it wouldn't really work, as there isn't much that she could do as Cody is a face, if he turned heel, then that would be the perfect spot for her to be cheating and helping Cody out. Which now I think about it, other than the odd promo, there's not much use in Arn being there either. 

Just noticed that Taynara Conti was in the tournament this week. She never really struck me as someone who would make much out of it once she was released, however fair play to her. 

The best thing Brandi has done in AEW was walk out with tears in her eyes during the Cody-MJF whipping segment. She comes across well in announcements regarding the business and PR side of things. That's where she should stay; not everyone needs to be an on-screen character.

37 minutes ago, Nick James said:

noticed that Taynara Conti was in the tournament this week. She never really struck me as someone who would make much out of it once she was released, however fair play to her. 

I always enjoyed her work. She was pretty solid and made for a good bitchy character. I think she's far more interesting than some they've got on their roster at the moment.

53 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Tazz and Schiavone were an absolute blast on Dark last night.

After last weeks Dynamite I was thinking to myself that Tazz and Tony would be a great combination and they didn't disappoint. They just seemed to be having good fun. Would be good to see them run with that pairing.

Was howling at "boys and men"

Edited by cobra_gordo

That was a fantastic show, arguably the best Dynamite of the pandemic era for me.

Brodie Lee has really come into his own, and The Dark Order has miraculously turned into quite a valuable part of the roster. Brodie’s storyline with Cabana is bags of fun, and that opening tag match was excellent.

The Jericho/Cassidy debate was superb, everyone in that segment played their part brilliantly. It was a brilliant balance of comedy and drama. I’ve gone from not giving a shit about the rematch to being seriously invested in a Cassidy victory.

It’s nice to see Matt Hardy drop the multiverse schtick, and if/when his brother joins the roster they can be a huge addition to the tag division. 

I really want to like Big Swole, but at the moment she’s not really working for me. I think the main issue for me is that I don’t actually want Britt’s return match to be against her, I’m not massively invested in their feud but I am invested in Baker. I really want to see Britt against Shida at the next PPV, and I hope we somehow get there. 

MJF was great once again, and to me he seems like the right person to take the belt from Moxley outside of, perhaps, a heel Omega or (which feels increasingly like the direction we’re heading) or perhaps even a heel Cody. Whichever heel takes the belt from Mox, the end of that journey HAS to be Hangman Page. I’m not sure there’s a better face in wrestling right now.

Fuck me just imagine if the debate took place in front of a crowd.

Jericho was on form, Cassidy held his own and Eric Bischoff was a good fit as the moderator, I would have groaned if he was used in any other capacity. Smart move to play up the TNT/WCW connection.

Surely Cassidy has to win? Probably with plenty of shenanigans of course.

On paper I was ready to hate the segment but it turned out great.

Just now, The King Of Swing said:

Fuck me just imagine if the debate took place in front of a crowd.

Jericho was on form, Cassidy held his own and Eric Bischoff was a good fit as the moderator, I would have groaned if he was used in any other capacity. Smart move to play up the TNT/WCW connection.

Surely Cassidy has to win? Probably with plenty of shenanigans of course.

On paper I was ready to hate the segment but it turned out great.

I didn't want to, but given that the Inner Circle comedy had fallen flat in the empty(ish) arena setting before, I was expecting it to do the same thing. It's the best thing OC has done in AEW since the Pac match, and it's another gem to add to Jericho's already lengthy AEW highlight reel. 

It does feel like Cassidy has to win this. I'm curious about who Jericho will face at the PPV. I think they're right not to over-extend the Cassidy feud, but it's not like they've been hinting at Jericho's next opponent. 

In fact, there's a lot up in the air. The fact Cody and Cardona faced The Dark Order made me thing Brodie Lee was being lined up as Cody's PPV opponent (Cabana in Lee's corner, Cardona in Cody's), but there was no hint of that tonight. 

Even FTR vs. Omega/Hangman, which felt likely, isn't guaranteed. I'm starting to wonder if we'll get a three team match with The Bucks, or even Bucks vs. FTR for a tag title match, with Omega and Page facing another team. 

I quite like that. WWE is generally very predictable, whilst AEW manages to keep its options open without any of them feeling illogical. 

On 8/5/2020 at 9:44 AM, Nick James said:

I get the idea with Brandi that she so desperately wants to be the main 'authority figure' but they obviously don't use or need one (other than the odd nod to Tony Khan),  that she is trying her hardest to make something happen where she is shown as a leader. First the Nightmare Collective, then the Nightmare Family and now this tag team with Allie. 

It’s not the odd nod anymore though is it? His name being mentioned at least once has become a weekly occurrence. Having said that, I think he’s smart enough to know that putting himself on TV would be an awful idea.

• Paid Members

A rare example in mordern-day pro-wresting where it genuinely did benefit to not judge an angle too quickly and wait and see how it played out. I fucking hated the orange juice bloodbath at the time, thought it was a real low point, but they've completely pulled it back and made it mean something. That debate was great and Orange Cassidy would be the biggest thing in the business if all this was happening in front of a crowd. I'm assuming Cassidy wins next week and then they do an Inner Circle vs. Best Friends gimmick six man tag at the PPV. Mini-van Derby or something.

Also - I don't know why anyone ever doubted or complained about Bischoff's involvement. It's always been the case that provided you only use him as a performer he's great.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Really good show.

Could have done without the Best Friends/PnP match. Should have just been a flash rollup surprise victory to embarrass PnP rather than a full match, especially after that absolutely superb opener. Absolutely glorious, that. Brodie Lee has really got into his role now and his story with Cabana is wonderful. 

Fuck Zack Ryder, get that prick off my wrestling show please. Absolutely nothing interesting to offer. No excitement around anything this guy could do in AEW.

The Debate was pure sports entertainment done right. A WWE type of angle but actually really fun to watch and I am proper hyped for next week's match.

Sammy/Hardy is a feud I am actually really into. Matt bled a gusher and the little prick vs the grizzled respected veteran is always good.

Amazing promo from Mox and a brilliant main event. Could have done without the second blade job on the show but it is what it is. Strong logical booking of MJF trying to take out Mox. 

Britt Baker stuff was perfectly enjoyable TV filler.

Get rid of Ryder, shorted the second tag match and replace with an Archer squash and you would have had a perfect episode of wrestling right there.

My guess is we're getting FTR vs Bucks and Lee/Cabana vs Page/Omega at All Out 2 and I'm very onboard for both. I'd also love to see a Page/Lee singles match. Judging from their brief interactions this week I reckon it'd be a stormer.

I must say, I just really enjoy watching AEW. Its an easy watch and its always got something on it that's just fun. As someone who's interest in modern wrestling has waned slightly, its something that I can put on and just enjoy for a bit

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, I'd forgotten about the Guevara/Hardy angle! That was amazing! Easily the best thing involving Matt in years. Has there ever been a more violent looking 450 splash?!

Crazy.

Edited by Supremo